List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

PicksClubsResult
14-10-24 - Pick TradeMelbourne & EssendonMelbourne receives Essendon's R1 (9), 2025 R3 Pick
Essendon receives Melbourne's 2025 F1, 2024 R2 (28,40), R3(46,54), R4 (65) Picks
14-10-24 - Pick TradeMelbourne & AdelaideAdelaide receives Melbourne's 2025 3R Pick
Melbourne receives Adelaide's 2024 3R(46) Pick
11-10-24 - Pick TradeBrisbane & RichmondRichmond receives Brisbane's 1R Pick (pick 20)
Brisbane receives Richmond's 2R (32,42), 3R (43,45) Picks
11-10-24 - Pick TradeCarlton & BrisbaneCarlton receives Brisbane's R4 (73), 2025 R2 Pick
Brisbane receives Carlton's R2(34), R4(66)
11-10-24 - Pick TradeCarlton & HawthornCarlton receives Hawthorn's R1(14) pick
Hawthorn receives Carlton's 2025 R1, R2 (tied to Carlton) picks

PlayerOriginal ClubTrade/FANew ClubResult
Isaac CummingGWSUFAAdelaideEnd of Round 1 Compo (pick 21) to GWS
Josh BattleSt KildaUFAHawthornRound 1 Compo (Pick 8) to St.Kilda
Tom CampbellSt KildaDFAMelbourneNo Compensation
Harry PerrymanGWSUFACollingwoodRound 1 Compo (Pick 16) to GWS
Elliott HimmelbergAdelaideUFAGold CoastNo Compensation
Nick HaynesGWSUFACarltonNo Compensation
Alex Neal-BullenMelbourneTradeAdelaideRound 2 Pick (28) to Melbourne
Jack DarlingWest CoastTradeNorth MelbourneRound 4 pick (68) to WCE
Jack GrahamRichmondUFAWest CoastEnd of Round 2 Compo (Pick 42) to Richmond

Melbourne trade its two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 28 and 40), two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 46 and 54), its 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 65) and its 2025 Round 1 selection to Essendon.
Essendon trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 9) and its 2025 Round 3 selection in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively to Melbourne.
---------
Melbourne trade its 2025 Round 3 selection to the Adelaide Crows for its 2024 Round 3 selection (currently 46) in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.
---------
Brisbane trade its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 20) to Richmond for two 2024 Round 2 selections (currently 32 and 42) and two 2024 Round 3 selections (currently 43 and 45) in the 2024 Telstra AFL Draft.
---------
Carlton trade its 2024 Round 2 selection (currently 34) and 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 66) to Brisbane for its 2024 Round 4 selection (currently 73) and 2025 Round 2 selection in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.
---------
Carlton trade its 2025 Round 1 selection and 2025 Round 2 selection (tied to Carlton) to Hawthorn for its 2024 Round 1 selection (currently 14) in the 2024 and 2025 Telstra AFL Drafts respectively.

Last edited:

I’d say we are box seat for Houston now. Port want the best deal, ours will beat Collingwood.
Is the best deal? At the moment it's the only deal and it's a top 4 pick.

At best if Collingwood can put a deal together it's pick 13 and a fringe player. Carlton if they change heart is 12 or 14. Why are we putting a deal close to 3 times higher then Collingwood and Carlton (if they can/will put a deal together). It's crazy.

I'd hope that we have correctly identified that 44 is a good pick to keep and are instead haggling over futures.
Probably, but the reality is both parties know that his value to us is >>> his value to Sydney. So our negotiating position is not strong but yes I'd expect that is what some discussions are about.

The dogs for certain.
Every player they are losing they are expecting overs.
Smith for a pick in the top 10
Macrae for 27
Daniel for 25.
It's all bluster

They certainly aren’t alone. I’d even have the Cats in the same bucket for the Smith trade for offering unders.

Eagles on the Barrass front, Tigers particularly in respect to Rioli, Swans with Parker and the list really does go on.

Probably, but the reality is both parties know that his value to us is >>> his value to Sydney. So our negotiating position is not strong but yes I'd expect that is what some discussions are about.

They're not.going to keep him and deny him an extended deal here, especially when late picks is a pretty established precedent for this kind of trade. We need to hold our nerve.

Swapping F3s gives them likely a 10+ upgrade for points next year. No need to offer much above that.

We don’t even know if he wants to come to the club?

What’s batshit crazy is wanting to take unders for a small sugar hit.

It’s called a rebuild. This is the time to stock up on talent.

All I have heard on this board for the better part of a week is let’s overpay for a player and let undervalue what we have as far as draft capital.

With or without Houston, it’s unlikely we push out of the bottom four.

People just need to be patient.

With the draft points value dropping for later picks next year, that first is going to become highly valuable with these clubs needing to find points. But let’s piss it away for a half eaten twistie.
'small sugar hit' is ridiculously reductive and simplistic. Houston would be so so much more than that

Gotta be the most unnecessarily drawn out trade negotiation.

North: How about a 4th rounder?

Swans: No, how about a 2nd rounder?

North: No, how about we meet in the middle with a 3rd rounder?

Swans: Ok.

Was always going to be that, could have been done Monday. Of last week.

It's the main argument now that the window is too long. The first week is just the easy ones and then every other club recruiting manager takes their shirt off and they just flex their tiny arms at each other for 7 days.

They're not.going to keep him and deny him an extended deal here, especially when late picks is a pretty established precedent for this kind of trade. We need to hold our nerve.

Swapping F3s gives them likely a 10+ upgrade for points next year. No need to offer much above that.
Do we have our own F3?

Essendon have pissed on the Dees from a great height with this

Dees have 5 and 9 right?

Wonder if they want to trade up to 2. (Obvs not both)

They certainly need blue chip mids coming through with Trac and Oliver so wobbly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the best deal? At the moment it's the only deal and it's a top 4 pick.

At best if Collingwood can put a deal together it's pick 13 and a fringe player. Carlton if they change heart is 12 or 14. Why are we putting a deal close to 3 times higher then Collingwood and Carlton (if they can/will put a deal together). It's crazy.
I guess unless a team satisfies Port, they may just keep him.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

With Houston, Darling, Parker and Daniel, plus natural improvement I'd expect our pick to be between 6-10 next year. That would still be slight overs for Houston, but when you actually look at the bigger picture implications and how big it would be for the club, it's overs that's worth paying imo.

You also need to pay a premium to get contracted players out, just how it is.

Dees have 5 and 9 right?

Wonder if they want to trade up to 2. (Obvs not both)

They certainly need blue chip mids coming through with Trac and Oliver so wobbly
Figure you have to ask the question. #2 & 2025 R2 for #5 & #9?

With Houston, Darling, Parker and Daniel, plus natural improvement I'd expect our pick to be between 6-10 next year. That would still be slight overs for Houston, but when you actually look at the bigger picture implications and how big it would be for the club, it's overs that's worth paying imo.
Love the optimism, but I think our list is still a year short for finals. eg. Pacy, defensively accountable small forwards are so important in modern footy, and we don't have a proven one on the whole list.

It feels like our forward 50 pressure in 2025 will depends an inordinate amount on Payne and/or RHJ making it.

Gee every club seems difficult to work with this trade period. All these negotiations where it sounds like every club is only settling on significantly winning the trade.
Every club wants into the top 30 of the draft and those who are in there don't want to give up their picks

If we land Houston then we won't need to pay overs for Hornswoggle.

'small sugar hit' is ridiculously reductive and simplistic. Houston would be so so much more than that
He is one player. Why do people simplistically think that the addition of one player, no matter how good they are, magically solves the numerous issues this list has?

We need top end talent in key posts, yet everyone wants to blow the budget on adding another flanker. Yes a very good flanker, but I would have thought with the list holes we have, their are more pressing needs.

Houston isn’t peak Carey. He isn’t going to magically make this side one that will push up the ladder.

People forget he was playing in a very settled side that is well structured in the back half. Put him in our shitshow and I would be staggered if he is considered for AA next year.

It’s 100% a sugar hit.

I would rather the club use those top end picks to start filling the gaping holes we have with key position players and this years draft looks like there are some great value options.

In three years time, Dan Houston will be 30. A year younger than Lachie Neale and Toby Greene this year. Larkey, Logue and Zurhaar will be 29, LDU and Xerri 28, Scott 27, Comben 26, Powell 25, Curtis and Archer 24, Sheezel and Wardlaw 23, McKercher and Duursma 22, our top pick(s) from this year 21.

Bringing in high-quality players who are in the 26-28 range now will quicken our move into the finals window and actually ensure we get there. Houston is one of the best in the comp in a role that is crucial for the style Clarko wants to play.

Yes giving away a high draft pick has an element of risk, but so does the draft overall. Houston was rookie draft #45 in 2015. If that national draft was taken again he'd be top 10. Port were a winner of that draft lottery, we can benefit from that now.

Long-term future talent isn't our issue because as Sheezel and Wardlaw mature, players are going to want to come and play with them provided the team has improved. Current and near-term talent is the issue we need to address to get out of this hole and ensure improvement happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back