List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

And another one.

Agent "North have offered 2 years. Good coin. Senior games, future coaching possibilities"

Callan "And any other offers?"

Agent "Didn't want to mention it, GWS can do 1 year. Base wage. They've been up-front and said you'll be an emergency option only, play out your year in the 2s. I mean you've been a stalwart, this is a real slap in the fa.. "

Callan " THERE'S A BIG BIG SOUND!"

Agent "Ok done!"

I think we all get hung up on the 'Small' forward. I think more to the point is 'Pressure' Forward, any forward no matter what size can put on pressure. When we played well we applied pressure so that the ball didn't transition so easily out of F50.
Pressure, skill and fitness is what we lack compared to the Geelong guys, they just happen to be small

I think we all get hung up on the 'Small' forward. I think more to the point is 'Pressure' Forward, any forward no matter what size can put on pressure. When we played well we applied pressure so that the ball didn't transition so easily out of F50.
Pressure, skill and fitness is what we lack compared to the Geelong guys, they just happen to be small
I still think you need 1-2 dangerous small forwards with speed and goal sense. Nothing makes defence panic like those guys, and it also makes it much harder to run off them knowing that they'll burn you on the scoreboard if you're too loose. Which then improves forward 50 pressure immensely.

I think the defensive forward stuff you've highlighted is 1/2 of it, but the other half is the offensive stuff - having players who are clean, one-touch operators when the ball hits the deck, and who have the smarts and speed to position themselves around the KPPs to maximise their chances of being where the contested ball lands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Saints have extended the contracts of 6 players but Tim Membrey is not one of them.

As people have said, we need skilled players who are very fit, consistently run both ways, constantly apply pressure and able to consistently apply team defence. It applies not just to small forwards but to the whole team.

We can add Tim Kelly to the list of state league players Cats have pulled.

Nearly won a Brownlow and left them for a bunch of first rounders in return. All after cats refused to trade him the year before.

Can’t our $800k / 5 year man Zurhaar do it?

Seems a waste paying that much for a forward pocket that floats in and out of games.
Would need to get super fit to play midfield time in the AFL.

Which would mean he would have to do extra running before the start of pre-season.

Perhaps, even get a running coach.

Not sure if Cam has the time to do all that (He is too busy cooking Rib eyes and getting back tattoos).

Have just joined and agree on our small forward pressure that is non existent - and that is a huge concern for me because RHJ has never shown desire to pressure or tackle at any level - yes he showed a little late this year but i still dont see it...
Below i have highlighted stats for last 6 VFL regular season games played in 2024 for 3 players:

RHJ - 11.2 disposals, 1.7 goals, 2.2 tackles

Malcolm Rosas - 12.0 disposals, 1.5 goals, 2.3 tackles

Player 3 - 18.8 disposals, 1.2 goals, 4.7 tackles

So by looking at above do we think that Player 3 clearly brings what we are looking for that we desperately haven't got - a high pressure player who gets ball regularly and impacts - or do we want flighty inconsistent types who don't want contact and will not put it on the line for their team ?

BTW - Player 3 is Jack Mahony
Look, we're all sorry that Jack was delisted Mr Mahony, but honestly you need to let it go now.

Just putting this out there. Could last night's game be a wakeup call to some here about the overvaluing of gun mids in today's game?

No.

How does a team with a midfield of Atkins, Bowes and Bruhn smash one with Rozee, Butters and JHF?

Butters came off in the first half and JHF played a fair bit forward.

People get a hardon for raw numbers but it is what players do with the ball that counts. It is why I don't rate LDU as highly as most other people, his ball use is average and it is a significant contributing factor to why we lose as often as we do, especially when you combine LDU's ball use with Simpkin and some inexperienced kids.

Who are the "elite" ball users in our midfield? Sheezle went there and stood out like dog's balls. LDU's inability to hit anyone with a medium distance pass inside the forward 50 is a liability to the side, especially when he takes so many of those kicks.

Last night the stoppage numbers weren't miles apart. 36 vs 40 clearances (17 vs 12 from the middle). Contested possession 119 vs 125. Inside 50s 53 vs 57. The difference was the efficiency going inside 50, 37.7% vs 68.4%. Part of it was the inability to pressure once the ball got outside, but their midfield has the ability to hit targets going inside 50.

We do not have elite ball users around the ball and those who can't kick have the license to blaze away to nobody in particular. We have the combination of a lack of skills and a lack of system. Geelong has skill and system. You just don't rack up a lot of games in the Geelong side unless you can do what is expected, we don't have that kind of standard here and the coach just makes poor excuses when they dont try. Our standards aren't any better atm than they were under Nobel or Shaw.

Sheezel's on SEN right now talking about how his main takeaway from last night is how important small forwards are.
they are only effective with a good fwd entry plan, dumpkicking on the heads of Alir, Tom Stewert , Sam Taylor , etc will render them useless.

you need to structure the forward line like Hawks and Geelong have at the moment with space to run into and have the Fwd players play in front and run into the space and the mids lower their eyes., Case in point, last night i dont recall a single entry where the fwd 50 entry favored Alir. if that were us i guarantee we would have sat it on Alirs head a dozen times, after all is it an intercept mark if you kick it directly to them??

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back