List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

The last two games aside, our tackling and pressure after the bye were pretty good. The potential is there with some development and recruiting to fill a few gaps.

Yep. The goal next year is to see 18 weeks of that intensity as opposed to 9.

If Comben is going forward then I don't think that we need to spend huge capital on a KPF. We just need some depth.

Larkey, Comben, Duursma, Zurhaar is pretty good. If you can get Membrey or Riccardi cheap, then draft a developing guy with our 2nd rounder. Teakle is good depth. I think that Maley has potential, as well.

But you really need a properly dangerous small forward with that group, to play next to Curtis. You need the type of guy who would kick 5 on us.
Absolutely love the bloke, but this is the first season Chom has got through relatively unscathed, until the last fortnight. Can’t be throwing all our eggs in that basket just yet. Still should be investing in a quality young KPF via the draft.

If Comben is going forward then I don't think that we need to spend huge capital on a KPF. We just need some depth.

Larkey, Comben, Duursma, Zurhaar is pretty good. If you can get Membrey or Riccardi cheap, then draft a developing guy with our 2nd rounder. Teakle is good depth. I think that Maley has potential, as well.

But you really need a properly dangerous small forward with that group, to play next to Curtis. You need the type of guy who would kick 5 on us.
Agree on the first par, tho my preference is Chom stays in defence.

I’m just concerned that Chom plus a single TBC small forward is not gonna provide enough pressure inside 50.

I think the jury’s out on whether Duursma, Curtis and Bull can play together in a modern contending forward line. Feel like two pacy and accountable small forwards has become the bare minimum.

Last edited:
Absolutely love the bloke, but this is the first season Chom has got through relatively unscathed, until the last fortnight. Can’t be throwing all our eggs in that basket just yet. Still should be investing in a quality young KPF via the draft.
I think that you can get a quality developing KPF at our second pick.

And if you have a Membrey/Riccardi type then, even without Chom you can play Larkey, Membrey/Riccardi, Zurhaar, Duursma and one of Teakle/Maley (plus Curtis and the small forward).

Agree on the first par, tho my preference is Chom stays in defence.

I’m just concerned that Chom plus a single TBC small forward is not gonna provide enough pressure inside 50.

I think the jury’s out on whether Duursma, Curtis and Bull can play together in a modern contending forward line. Feel like two pacy and accountable small forwards has become the bare minimum.
I agree that the jury is out but I think that you can play them if you hold Zurhaar and Curtis more accountable in terms of their consistency and effort.

After last nights effort, I'm glad we haven't offered a big contract to Wines. Despite 23 touches, he had zero impact and showed no leadership.

There was no leadership at port whatsoever.... its happened before, but again they have young kids as leaders and when the chips are down there is nothing there to kickstart them

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There was no leadership at port whatsoever.... its happened before, but again they have young kids as leaders and when the chips are down there is nothing there to kickstart them

Absolutely and those kid ‘leaders’ are playing in a top two side, some people want Harry Sheezel captain of our mob at 19 years of age..

It would be sheer lunacy.

For me that's Jagga Smith. We absolutely have to pick him. I'll be devastated if Richmond don't and then we don't as well. If is there at pick 2 he has to be ours. If Richmond take him: so be it.
Would be shocked if Richmond don't take Jagga Smith, kid has been around Richmond since attending kindergarten in the area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moneyball approach here. We’ve tried with 2-4 tall marking options (not saying they’re all good at it) in the forward line this year. Larkey, Pink, Teakle, Chom, CCJ) and we’ve done so to no avail.

Is there any merit in trying to scout or trade for the better ‘leading’ type of forward? Whoever has the best leading patterns, fck it, get him?

I think that’s what we’re lacking. We’ve had tall guys who want it over their head, and only a few that can mark it down there every now and again - Teakle, and only a few that can split it and make it a contest - Pink.
Moneyball would be to purge the state leagues for the best talent at the lowest price.
Something we won't do.

The last two games aside, our tackling and pressure after the bye were pretty good. The potential is there with some development and recruiting to fill a few gaps.
Our pressure generally did improve but the point made previously was that we have no AFL-standard, genuine small pressure forwards on our list.

Geelong played three last night - Stengel, Mannagh and Griers ranging from 175cm- 179cm and they kicked 10 between them -cut Port to ribbons. Our closest is Curtis at 185cm - but he's a mid-sized forward who'd tower over those three. Hansen is 182cm - doesn't really move like them - but hopefully will make it. And that's it - we have not invested in small forwards despite how valuable they are, especially in September.

Our pressure generally did improve but the point made previously was that we have no AFL-standard, genuine small pressure forwards on our list.

Geelong played three last night - Stengel, Mannagh and Griers ranging from 175cm- 179cm and they kicked 10 between them -cut Port to ribbons. Our closest is Curtis at 185cm - but he's a mid-sized forward who'd tower over those three. Hansen is 182cm - doesn't really move like them - but hopefully will make it. And that's it - we have not invested in small forwards despite how valuable they are, especially in September.
I am interested in how Mannagh got to Geelong after playing for Werribee and starring in that VFL GF loss as pick #36. Gee he was good last night and can sniff out a goal. Was he ever on our radar, or did Geelong do what Geelong does and find the diamonds in the rough?

I am interested in how Mannagh got to Geelong after playing for Werribee and starring in that VFL GF loss as pick #36. Gee he was good last night and can sniff out a goal. Was he ever on our radar, or did Geelong do what Geelong does and find the diamonds in the rough?
It was always pretty obvious Shaun would make the step up. Why we didn't bother, who knows.

It's the old chicken or egg question. Do the players make the system or does their system make their players?

They're certainly not afraid to take these blokes. Stewart was plucked out of the VFL at 24 and taken at 40. Close, Dempsey, Atkins, Z Guthrie. My Geelong mate used to laugh at Guthrie, now look at him...

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

It was always pretty obvious Shaun would make the step up. Why we didn't bother, who knows.
There should be 17 teams asking themselves that question. Not just on Mannagh though. They're maybe more prepared to pull the trigger earlier than anyone else?

Rozee is an example of why we should wait before making Sheeze captain.

Rozee is an example of why we should wait before making Sheeze captain.
Not really. We can only wish we were playing finals. However, I don’t disagree with him not being made captain next. But I wouldn’t trust anyone in the side to walk my dog, let alone captain North.

It's the old chicken or egg question. Do the players make the system or does their system make their players?

They're certainly not afraid to take these blokes. Stewart was plucked out of the VFL at 24 and taken at 40. Close, Dempsey, Atkins, Z Guthrie. My Geelong mate used to laugh at Guthrie, now look at him...

Podsiadly at the tender age of 28..

Not really. We can only wish we were playing finals. However, I don’t disagree with him not being made captain next. But I wouldn’t trust anyone in the side to walk my dog, let alone captain North.
I'm okay with Harry being captain after next season or even from 2027 onward.

Port had nothing yesterday on field. There are people blaming all this on Hinkley but its not really his fault. From the moment Drew fluffed that first clearance of the game you could see it happening. Aliir was good but the rest of their older players were poor.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back