List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that you can get a quality developing KPF at our second pick.

And if you have a Membrey/Riccardi type then, even without Chom you can play Larkey, Membrey/Riccardi, Zurhaar, Duursma and one of Teakle/Maley (plus Curtis and the small forward).
Agree on KPF's being there at the 2nd round mark. Important to realise that because of the "type" of KPF we need to complement Larkey that anyone we recruit this year from the draft is very unlikely to be ready for major impact til at least 2027... We need 1 or 2 extra on the list for over the next couple of years even if only to replace Larkey in 5-6 years, but anyone we bring in is not likely to be a huge impact player for us next year. If we want more KPF options to move up the ladder we likely need to look outside the draft.

Our pressure generally did improve but the point made previously was that we have no AFL-standard, genuine small pressure forwards on our list.

Geelong played three last night - Stengel, Mannagh and Griers ranging from 175cm- 179cm and they kicked 10 between them -cut Port to ribbons. Our closest is Curtis at 185cm - but he's a mid-sized forward who'd tower over those three. Hansen is 182cm - doesn't really move like them - but hopefully will make it. And that's it - we have not invested in small forwards despite how valuable they are, especially in September.

Yep. Need two minimum IMO and Curtis, Zurhaar, Duursma etc can work around them. Assume for sake of argument that RHJ continues to improve after a full preseason we need at least another minimum next to him.

17 other teams don't have a presence out at Avalon Airport oval though.
Every team is well aware of these players. No one has dibs on players unless they're NGA.

Mannagh is just one example. A single small forward isn't going to make a siesmic difference to our fortunes coming into the bottom team. I'm more looking at the way they do it in it's entirety. That's of more importance.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Absolutely and those kid ‘leaders’ are playing in a top two side, some people want Harry Sheezel captain of our mob at 19 years of age..

It would be sheer lunacy.

Yes not sure they are really a top 2 side, just ended up there at this point in time... Houston and Farrell were huge outs, shows how important those elite hb run and kicks are...

Yes way too early for Sheez, happy for an interim for 2-4 yrs, let Sheez focus on his game rather than burden of team on shoulders

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree on KPF's being there at the 2nd round mark. Important to realise that because of the "type" of KPF we need to complement Larkey that anyone we recruit this year from the draft is very unlikely to be ready for major impact til at least 2027... We need 1 or 2 extra on the list for over the next couple of years even if only to replace Larkey in 5-6 years, but anyone we bring in is not likely to be a huge impact player for us next year. If we want more KPF options to move up the ladder we likely need to look outside the draft.

Yep. Need two minimum IMO and Curtis, Zurhaar, Duursma etc can work around them. Assume for sake of argument that RHJ continues to improve after a full preseason we need at least another minimum next to him.
I hope River Stevens is up to it.

Our pressure generally did improve but the point made previously was that we have no AFL-standard, genuine small pressure forwards on our list.

Geelong played three last night - Stengel, Mannagh and Griers ranging from 175cm- 179cm and they kicked 10 between them -cut Port to ribbons. Our closest is Curtis at 185cm - but he's a mid-sized forward who'd tower over those three. Hansen is 182cm - doesn't really move like them - but hopefully will make it. And that's it - we have not invested in small forwards despite how valuable they are, especially in September.

4 if you add Close too...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I hope River Stevens is up to it.
That'd be handy. To clarify I'm saying 2 minimum in the team by the way, which obviously means we need at least 2-3 more on the list than what we have today.

I'm okay with Harry being captain after next season or even from 2027 onward.

Port had nothing yesterday on field. There are people blaming all this on Hinkley but it’s not really his fault. From the moment Drew fluffed that first clearance of the game you could see it happening. Aliir was good but the rest of their older players were poor.
💯

He should be VC for the next two years and let him get used to the system, the routines, the pressures and the personalities he’s going to be dealing with and then make him stand alone captain when we’re making our move up the ladder.

Two more years of getting rid of the older dead wood and bringing in top end draft picks who will respect and take instructions from the moment he’s appointed Captain.

He’ll still be very young, but seeing him lead our boys through the banner on a spring September day will be worth waiting for.

That'd be handy. To clarify I'm saying 2 minimum in the team by the way, which obviously means we need at least 2-3 more on the list than what we have today.
We have three on the list right now, tho we might have less soon and honestly I'd have developed Lazz in that role. At least pressure wise not necessarily as a scoring type small. I think we missed a trick moving Atu onto the backline too. Curtis can play small, just needs to work harder. He's the same size as Ginnivan, has more goals and tackles this year and got front and centre of contests repeatedly. If someone had halved those contests instead of us giving up easy intercept marks to the opposition he'd have more goals.

One thing that advantaged Geelong yesterday was the kicking of their younger players, particularly Neale and Holmes who hit long hard bullets over the back of the Port interceptors. Mannagh did it a few times as well. The Geelong players were onto that and took advantage of it.

Every team is well aware of these players. No one has dibs on players unless they're NGA.

Mannagh is just one example. A single small forward isn't going to make a siesmic difference to our fortunes coming into the bottom team. I'm more looking at the way they do it in it's entirety. That's of more importance.

I'm saying it's especially egregious because he's been right under our nose, closer to us than any other team. And it's yet another example of a miss and us not addressing that role.

I'm saying it's especially egregious because he's been right under our nose, closer to us than any other team. And it's yet another example of a miss and us not addressing that role.
What's our ties to the Werribee VFL team?

Should we have been prepared to pull the trigger with picks 20,21 or 23?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our forward 50 pressure problem in a nutshell.

View attachment 2102309
Hmmmm......Look at the age difference between North vs Geelong.

Geelong are better, but have 4 or 5 years maturity on our boys (exc Jaidyn)

And I havent done the research, but I would imagine the Geelong boys have 50 plus more game experience than our lot.

Not saying our boys will be just as good, but sometimes patience and time is what you need.

Aaron Davey, Isaac Smith. Well trodden path.

What's our ties to the Werribee VFL team?

Should we have been prepared to pull the trigger with picks 20,21 or 23?

We still work relatively closely with them. Their development coach runs our academy, we have a North Melbourne office posted at their HQ, our development coach came from them. The ties are tighter between the two clubs than Werribee and any other.

We could have taken him in the MSD.

He didn't choose anyone. He nominated for the draft and was taken.
We really didn't have the option to take him in the draft last year. rf_08 is right that we missed our shot in the MSD. It was worth picking RHJ but we should have made room for Mannagh as well.

He's certainly got talent. What's between the ears is the question mark for the price.

I say in the mature bracket we need leaders and competitors more than outright talent.

Hard no for JL. Another flakey player long conditioned to a culture of losing.

I might be wrong but the benefit of being a club like Geelong is they've been able to build their premiership side and then enrich it with braver moves once everything was in place. Even they have passed on Mannagh in previous drafts.

We'e just not in a position to risk developmental list spots on 27 year olds that have never played AFL at the highest level (despite what people think about how we develop and the mature age AFL players we bring in). Hopefully this time will come soon.

I'm okay with Harry being captain after next season or even from 2027 onward.

Port had nothing yesterday on field. There are people blaming all this on Hinkley but its not really his fault. From the moment Drew fluffed that first clearance of the game you could see it happening. Aliir was good but the rest of their older players were poor.
When the finally ditch Kenny, they face the real prospect of realising he over preformed as coach and in the process having to mini rebuild when Tassie comes in.

We still work relatively closely with them. Their development coach runs our academy, we have a North Melbourne office posted at their HQ, our development coach came from them. The ties are tighter between the two clubs than Werribee and any other.

We could have taken him in the MSD.
Every club can still see him, speak to him etc...yes, we absolutely should have identified and picked him in the 2023 MSD. We had the pick as well.

I'm more interested in the Geelong philosophy of picking these mature blokes out of state leagues and sometimes being prepared to use serious draft capital....given it's so hard for us to attract decent players...

I say in the mature bracket we need leaders and competitors more than outright talent.

Hard no for JL. Another flakey player long conditioned to a culture of losing.
We need some "crawl over broken glass" competitors.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back