List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

I suggested Sam Frost earlier and didn't get any takers.

He will be sent to VFL in 2025 if Barrass and Battle come over, could be enticed over with good $$$ for 2-3 yr contract with triggers.

Will be valuable depth for us in 2025 though but with our F/S McCabe also looking for chances, I think we will be ok.

Seamus Mitchell will get signed up for longer if Bodie Ryan doesn't come on quicker, unlikely you will get him as UFA.
Sam Frost would never come to North.

He literally gets new contracts based on the AA performances he puts on Larkey every single time he plays. No one shuts down Larkey quite like Frost. Mind-boggling.

100% on Higgins. Letting him go for nothing when he wanted to stay was a horrendous decision.

Not giving in to Browns demands has been proven to be the right call long term. We played our hand poorly, whose fault that is is difficult to say but it is fair to say the list management team as a whole didn't get maximum value for the cards we had. What we do know is that if Brown got what he wanted, he would have been paid $750 K this year or the equivalent of in his fifth year of the deal he asked for.

Trading for Stephenson and getting him is a tick for list management. That it didn't work out? I would say he is at least equally responsible. I won't argue if.you want to say the other 50% lies with development but it's not really quantifiable.

The original offer to Tarrant of one year was reasonable. I agree that our inability to sell our counter offer matching the Tigers offer was unfortunate. If the reason for that is we had already burnt that bridge then by all means we should be highly critical of the list management team. If he left because the offers were similar but the allure of playing for a.big club or the chance to play in a premiership was too much to resist that is the world we live in.

This whole.Brady and Co mentality regarding who is responsible for the current state of our list is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of list management and the different roles people within that team have played over the past 5 years.

The same premise that blames Terry Wallace for drafting Richard Tambling, despite Terry only getting the coaching job at Richmond a few weeks prior to that draft. Despite Terry repeatedly stating he had no say in that draft as the list managers had already done the work.
Just on Higgo, his biggest regret is leaving North in 2020. He genuinely felt that moving to Geelong was in North's best interests and the club pushed for this as much as anyone.
He wanted to stay and the new club environment just rocked him and he felt he was never the same again after his first season in Geelong.

He wanted to finish his career a shinboner and help LDU take the mantle as the number 1 mid and drive the standards on the training track.
Looking back now the pick 30 we got for him was used on Lazzaro, whose about to be delisted.

This trade set us back big time. Brady is a dickhead.

Just on Higgo, his biggest regret is leaving North in 2020. He genuinely felt that moving to Geelong was in North's best interests and the club pushed for this as much as anyone.
He wanted to stay and the new club environment just rocked him and he felt he was never the same again after his first season in Geelong.

He wanted to finish his career a shinboner and help LDU take the mantle as the number 1 mid and drive the standards on the training track.
Looking back now the pick 30 we got for him was used on Lazzaro, whose about to be delisted.

images (45).jpeg

Really? All we heard how Geelong finally got their man and they needed family support. I was getting shot for saying Geelong isn’t that far from Yarraville. But that’s a whole other topic

That is absolutely ****ed.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He literally gets new contracts based on the AA performances he puts on Larkey every single time he plays. No one shuts down Larkey quite like Frost. Mind-boggling.
He was recruited when Clarko was the Boss and played under him for 2 yrs I think. Was quite reliable then & can be a good intercept defender as well. This year he has played in more lockdown role.

He knows the winning culture built under Sam and could be the leader North wants but he needs to be persuaded with $$$ and security. I will bet there will be other clubs who can read the tea leaves with Barrass and Battle's moves and will court him. Doesn't seem to get injured much and quite reliable, so can easily see him play for another 3-4 yrs.

Really? All we heard how Geelong finally got their man and they needed family support. I was getting shot for saying Geelong isn’t that far from Yarraville. But that’s a whole other topic
He was living in Albert Park/Middle Park/St Kilda when playing with us.
The whole family thing was because he grew up in Geelong but was a media beat up. Its 45 minutes drive on a good day ffs

Shaun's view is that he felt he could have gotten more playing time out of his career at Arden St, but who knows at end of the day.
Missing the flag doesn't help and his body did break down towards the end but I'd say that is more a front of mind thing then anything else. He hardly missed a beat when he was with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Higgo and Lmac were our best players in 2020.

Not sure why we got rid of Higgo. Didn't make sense from a culture standpoint. I felt we absolutely wrecked him though. He carried us substantially that year.
The lack of standards and genuine competitiveness we’ve seen for the past 5 years does beg the question was it right to trade away senior players like Higgins and Tarrant, at a time when Ziebell’s body was breaking down and Cunners was getting cancer treatment.

I was vocal and totally against the move as the club was never in the position to be trading away veteran talent because we were not replacing them with anything of quality.

Looking back now it has done absolutely zero for our development and if anything put us further in a hole.

Moving on Higgins after a covid impacted draft year is nearly as bad as trading away the 2019 1st rounder for shits and gigs.

Then low balling Tarrant and going into 2022 with Josh Walker and Aidan Bonar as our key defenders - when you wonder how and why the joy and spirit has been sucked right out of the joint, this is why.

Not like we care, but the Tigers would be hard pressed not to make the same mistakes we did and what Melbourne did in the early 2010’s.

Cull the old blokes but don’t cull too hard. You need to keep 2 or 3 heart and soul types around the changerooms. The balance needs to be right.
Our issue is we backed in Ziebell, Cunnington and McDonald.
We surrounded Jy with the absolute wrong senior heads.

Hawthorn under Mitchell finally got it right as they kept Breust around and even brought Gunston back.
The fact they realised they made a mistake in trading him to Brisbane and fixed it inside 12 months and look at them now.

The lack of standards and genuine competitiveness we’ve seen for the past 5 years does beg the question was it right to trade away senior players like Higgins and Tarrant, at a time when Ziebell’s body was breaking down and Cunners was getting cancer treatment.

I was vocal and totally against the move as the club was never in the position to be trading away veteran talent because we were not replacing them with anything of quality.

Looking back now it has done absolutely zero for our development and if anything put us further in a hole.

Moving on Higgins after a covid impacted draft year is nearly as bad as trading away the 2019 1st rounder for shits and gigs.

Then low balling Tarrant and going into 2022 with Josh Walker and Aidan Bonar as our key defenders - when you wonder how and why the joy and spirit has been sucked right out of the joint, this is why.

Not like we care, but the Tigers would be hard pressed not to make the same mistakes we did and what Melbourne did in the early 2010’s.

Cull the old blokes but don’t cull too hard. You need to keep 2 or 3 heart and soul types around the changerooms. The balance needs to be right.
Our issue is we backed in Ziebell, Cunnington and McDonald.
We surrounded Jy with the absolute wrong senior heads.

Hawthorn under Mitchell finally got it right as they kept Breust around and even brought Gunston back.
The fact they realised they made a mistake in trading him to Brisbane and fixed it inside 12 months and look at them now.
In hindsight you need to leave some leaders in each area of the ground I think.
You only trade that senior player at max value and you must nail the picks. It worked for the Dogs with Ward and Griffen.
In wonder if Goldy may have been the one we could have moved on a few years earlier to the Cats when they would've paid quite a return for him and someone like Preuss/Xerri takes over. Brown we didn't get much value as you said.

Dees I think made a mistake getting rid of James McDonald as that experienced senior leader.
Then Brock McLean leaves because of the tanking situation, that sets them back as well as making two 19 yr olds captain.
Not sure the Gunston thing was initiated by Hawks, most reports suggested it was Gunston.

Did not know Higgins wanted to stay with us.

Criminal that we let him go.

This is the angle that Gary Lyon and the Melbourne hierarchy need to be careful of - if petracca gets bad mouthed too hard, he might just turn around and say I cant play for a club that put me on the field with undiagnosed life threatening injuries - and btw, here’s the law suit
True! He’d win that too. Perhaps he wants away from Melbourne to legitimately launch litigation.

I remember at the time this place was divided on Missy being traded. I wanted to keep the bloke for leadership and would have liked the club to offer a coaching position post career. He wanted 2 years and we shafted him. Could not believe we did that and I put it out of my mind. Brady, hang your head in shame

I remember at the time this place was divided on Missy being traded. I wanted to keep the bloke for leadership and would have liked the club to offer a coaching position post career. He wanted 2 years and we shafted him. Could not believe we did that and I put it out of my mind. Brady, hang your head in shame
From memory, they wanted to drastically lower the age profile of the team.

In hindsight, cutting so hard leaves no-one to mentor the kids and we get what we have now.

Higgins, Harvey, Petrie......all great leaders that could have provided a Shiels type role without having to go and get one from another club.

Based off this year I can think of about seven guys that can shut down Larkey like Frost.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back