List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

I would love Houston and the Trac and anyone else of quality who is looking to leave their club.

Where has this new found confidence come from all of a sudden like we're in the mix?

There is usually a good level of bias that creeps in during September and October.
Its a mix of the shine coming back onto the club as were not playing and therefore not losing.
And god knows we hate f***ing losing.
Last year we beat the Suns, TT was flying, you could maybe understand some of the optimism as we tried to trade up to Harley Reid and of course we landed pick 3.

But where has this new found level of delusion come from so rapidly the past few days?

Recruits don't forget results and ladder positions. They want to play finals. And the shitcampaigners that could potentially become said recruits new teammates just gone done by 124 points 5 days ago.

Pray the club targets some older experienced heads and we land some. If they bust then there is minimal risk of them having to hang around.
Cause heaven forbid anyone we've targeted under 25 and landed in the last 10 years has been a disaster.

The clubs on field performances has really hindered and limited our ability to sell our position. That isn't changing this off season. If we had beaten West Coast comprehensively and pushed both the Hawks and Dogs - I can categorically tell you without any doubt that we'd be more front of mind in the trading market.
That's why Clarko wanted to finish the year off strong. I mean he said so himself. And the playing group shat the bed in the worst possible way.

I think the Houston issue has prompted an interesting conversation here.

For me, we're 12 months short of trading out high end draft picks for established players, especially when next year we'll be able to trade out 2 years into the future.

In the reverse if we hold what we've got, we'll be able to add pick 2 (likely mid) and pick 20ish (likely KPF) to a core group of elite talent (Harry, George, McKerch and Duursma) along with a developing support cast of 'good ordinary' players about the same age or a little bit older (Archer, Powell, Curtis).

On top of that, and although it might be too much to replicate Hawthorn's rise, other things being equal (mostly to do with injury), we should have a better year next year, with the above elite group all having the benefit of another pre-season

We can then go trade shopping for need when we've rounded out our elite group and got some wind in our sails on-field

But, as ever, each to their own

For me, we're 12 months short of trading out high end draft picks for established players, especially when next year we'll be able to trade out 2 years into the future.

In the reverse if we hold what we've got, we'll be able to add pick 2 (likely mid) and pick 20ish (likely KPF) to a core group of elite talent (Harry, George, McKerch and Duursma) along with a developing support cast of 'good ordinary' players about the same age or a little bit older (Archer, Powell, Curtis).

On top of that, and although it might be too much to replicate Hawthorn's rise, other things being equal (mostly to do with injury), we should have a better year next year, with the above elite group all having the benefit of another pre-season

We can then go trade shopping for need when we've rounded out our elite group and got some wind in our sails on-field

2025 is another year of development and pumping games into our talented kids.
I think if we can double our wins to 6 and get our percentage into the 80's, then that would be an overwhelming success.

The hope was the beltings would stop altogether in 2024. Or be minimal. Not only did they get worse but we ended the season with the worst of the lot. Hence our percentage going backwards.

So pray that we are more competitive in 2025, LDU, Sheezel, Xerri, Wardlaw, McKercher, Larkey, Comben, Archer, Curtis keep up their levels of performance and then we can be rabbid agressive players in the trade and free agency market in 12 months time. This is 100% the plan as we dont really have an alternative.

Not trying to take away from the fun and shits and gigs of the thread, as it always has been - but the shift from reality to delusion has been too rapid.

I am hearing whispers that we are looking to trade for Sam Collins.

I like it a lot. BUT, would have thought we could get Tomlinson for next to nothing as a gap fill.
Isn't he contracted to about 2035? Good player but can't see it happening.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dolorous is a very good negotiator tbh.
Why did I think of Duran Duran when I read this?

Do-do-Dolorious, Dolorious (ah)
Do-do-Dolorious

Do
Do-do
That's why I've picked a dud again (do)
(Dolorious) yeah, that's why I've picked a dud (do-do-Dolorious)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always wonder if Josh Battle is good. Looks like he SHOULD be good. But is he?
Talking to a saints bloke at work and he doesn’t seem all that fussed by him leaving or staying. Battle seems to have a real Ben McKay feel about him. Stats look good, but is he actually good. Never watch saints games thinking ‘this bloke is a dead set gun’. Always looks ok.

……Will come out for the Hawks and have 4 AA years in a row now….

For all the bitching and moaning the eastern interstate clubs do about disadvantages of travel etc. They have a huge advantage when it comes to recruiting players. **** all competition that allows them to pick up quality players at will.

West Coast's rebuild is going to be turbo charged by it.

I like it a lot. BUT, would have thought we could get Tomlinson for next to nothing as a gap fill.
He would cost a decent amount, very good player. I would trade 2 for 6, Collins and 20/28

For all the bitching and moaning the eastern interstate clubs do about disadvantages of travel etc. They have a huge advantage when it comes to recruiting players. **** all competition that allows them to pick up quality players at will.

West Coast's rebuild is going to be turbo charged by it.
and the fact they're not afraid to overpay or trade picks for players.

He's done well leading the port backline and he'll do the same for us.
Not sure if we've been watching the same dan houston.
Need players his age and we cant afford to be waiting 4-5 years before playing finals anymore.
Larkey, zurhaar, simpkin and others all 27 next year. Another 3 years of rebuilding means they'll be what, 30 by the time we come good? Its going to be 1-2 years of these players in a good side before they start to break down.
No more draft picks, get good players and build around what we need.
We've done this before.

That senior crop is simply not good enough to warrant it. Which ones are standing up when its needed most? In another 3 years the likes of Sheez, Wardlaw, Powell, McKercher, Duursma, Dawson, Hardeman, Curtis, Chom, Goater, Archer, Ford will be at or near peak powers. With this years draft picks establishing themselves.

It sounds nice but we don't know the other impacts of another "development" year.

Do we keep LDU if we add nobody of note this trade week?

Is there a tipping point with the amount of losses and lack of leadership where we are doing irreversible damage to the young players?

What does it do to Wardlaw if his career record after next season is 3 wins and 40 losses?

Will one more development year kill the current optimistic vibes in the young core?

We desperately need experienced, good players who can turn games. Not another Shiels. Well, we need both, but definitely good players.

Yesterday, there was a report that he has extended until 2027. It was mentioned that a few clubs were interested but GC extended his contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back