List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

It sounds nice but we don't know the other impacts of another "development" year.

Do we keep LDU if we add nobody of note this trade week?

Is there a tipping point with the amount of losses and lack of leadership where we are doing irreversible damage to the young players?

What does it do to Wardlaw if his career record after next season is 3 wins and 40 losses?

Will one more development year kill the current optimistic vibes in the young core?

We desperately need experienced, good players who can turn games. Not another Shiels. Well, we need both, but definitely good players.

Not really turn games as such. They are of greater important to us in terms of setting standards and keeping our passengers (players) accountable on field at all times. Greater improvement will come from that.

For all the bitching and moaning the eastern interstate clubs do about disadvantages of travel etc. They have a huge advantage when it comes to recruiting players. **** all competition that allows them to pick up quality players at will.

West Coast's rebuild is going to be turbo charged by it.

They’ll pretty much never be down long based on pure geography, for many it is a go-home area and they have a pool of talent to jump on early and have little competition.

This is why North shits the bed on getting big trade targets, we’re a tadpole in an ocean of far more aggressive and far richer sharks in the water.

It sounds nice but we don't know the other impacts of another "development" year.

Is there a tipping point with the amount of losses and lack of leadership where we are doing irreversible damage to the young players?

What does it do to Wardlaw if his career record after next season is 3 wins and 40 losses?

Will one more development year kill the current optimistic vibes in the young core?

We desperately need experienced, good players who can turn games. Not another Shiels. Well, we need both, but definitely good players.
As J. M. Keynes said, we're all dead in the long run.

We're understandably down in the dumps after the way the season finished, something heightened by the glimpse of form after the bye, but looking through the smoking ruins of the last 2 games, IMO we made progress and it's vital not to rush into short term fixes - sure, if we can get decent players without trading away too much, then we should, but those high end picks are gold (and in an even draft, I count 20 in that category)

Hawthorn have just flicked the switch and resumed being a destination club. Always fall on their feet.
Sarcastic Larry David GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

With Logue and Corr we can more easily play W.Dawson and play Chom forward. Then if we take Draper and push McKercher onto a wing or HF we add a lot more spread, pace and overlap run into our transition. Add in Goater and another pre-season into our youngsters we'll improve dramatically already.

Interesting IMO that we've heard little out of the club yet re: delistings. Not sure what it means, but it is interesting.
Someone may be able to correct me here. But I don’t believe we announced delistings until after the BnF last year. This years BnF is in just over 2 weeks, very possible we wait again.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As J. M. Keynes said, we're all dead in the long run.

We're understandably down in the dumps after the way the season finished, something heightened by the glimpse of form after the bye, but looking through the smoking ruins of the last 2 games, IMO we made progress and it's vital not to rush into short term fixes - sure, if we can get decent players without trading away too much, then we should, but those high end picks are gold (and in an even draft, I count 20 in that category)
Sure, another development year would be nice if you confine your thinking to the ideal rebuild. But there's a bigger picture.

Another 3 win season could be the death of the club.

We are already in a historically bad run. We can't be casual about continuing that. It's not like it's been one or two years.

I expect that we'll be better next season, I'm optimistic. But are you willing to bet the club on the wrong injury not happening?

Pick 20, sure you can call it gold. But Dan Houston is also gold. He's an all-australian. I'm not talking about some shitty mediocre player.

If we trade for Houston we could have 5 AA calibre players. Larkey, LDU, Houston, Sheezel, Xerri. Then we have Wardlaw, McKercher, Comben, Duursma, Archer and others coming through. We'll have premiership leveL talent at the top of the list.

I don't think that the damage to the club of another potential down year is worth maybe adding another young player, over an established AA.

I think the Houston issue has prompted an interesting conversation here.

For me, we're 12 months short of trading out high end draft picks for established players, especially when next year we'll be able to trade out 2 years into the future.

In the reverse if we hold what we've got, we'll be able to add pick 2 (likely mid) and pick 20ish (likely KPF) to a core group of elite talent (Harry, George, McKerch and Duursma) along with a developing support cast of 'good ordinary' players about the same age or a little bit older (Archer, Powell, Curtis).

On top of that, and although it might be too much to replicate Hawthorn's rise, other things being equal (mostly to do with injury), we should have a better year next year, with the above elite group all having the benefit of another pre-season

We can then go trade shopping for need when we've rounded out our elite group and got some wind in our sails on-field

But, as ever, each to their own

Are we forgetting about our other core here... surely we don't want to waste LDU souva jy Logue Bull Scott xerri all 25-26. If we add to this core this trade period plus the elite kids we can make big inroads now not wait another 12 mths

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

2025 is another year of development and pumping games into our talented kids.
I think if we can double our wins to 6 and get our percentage into the 80's, then that would be an overwhelming success.

The hope was the beltings would stop altogether in 2024. Or be minimal. Not only did they get worse but we ended the season with the worst of the lot. Hence our percentage going backwards.

So pray that we are more competitive in 2025, LDU, Sheezel, Xerri, Wardlaw, McKercher, Larkey, Comben, Archer, Curtis keep up their levels of performance and then we can be rabbid agressive players in the trade and free agency market in 12 months time. This is 100% the plan as we dont really have an alternative.

Not trying to take away from the fun and shits and gigs of the thread, as it always has been - but the shift from reality to delusion has been too rapid.

Hawthorn have just flicked the switch and resumed being a destination club. Always fall on their feet.

Not going to lie - as a supporter I am extremely jealous at how the Hawks have found a way out of the doldrums relatively quickly. The acquisition of Barrass and Battle very much has a May and Lever feel about it - and we know how that ended. The way the competition is set up now, if you're showing you're competing and heading in the right direction, players will want to come.

I think the biggest difference between both sides are the experienced players at their disposal. Players like Breust and Gunston who have been part of a successful culture seem to be worth their weight in gold - and if they can contribute that's a bonus!

We don't have that due to the large period of mediocrity we were stuck in prior to the drop off. Prelims are nice, but are nothing compared to 4 flags.

The longer it takes us to bring in players with similar qualities and resumes to help move these kids in the right direction with the coaching staff, not sure much will change significantly. It will be a slow, slow burn.

I really don't see the Houston thing happening, the only way we would be able to get him for more than a tyre kicker meeting would be, "Hey Dan does this rag smell like chloroform to you?" We'd have more of a shot at picking over Melbourne's pending implosion carcass then getting Houston to sign with us.

Last edited:
Someone may be able to correct me here. But I don’t believe we announced delistings until after the BnF last year. This years BnF is in just over 2 weeks, very possible we wait again.
I did have that thought, but we have definitely announced earlier than that before.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back