List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Tyson…

My god, looking back at those ‘recruits’…
Dom is still only 31 years of age... wtf happened there, 2016 he looked unbelievable pick up for Melb, only to be dumped in favour of Trac and Oliver, two contested freaks, no shame in that, in a perfect world he'd still have a few years left in front of him guiding the kids.

ultimately by 2019 he was cooked, dumped from Melb, and went too the only team that was slower in the midfield then Melb.
Preuss/Tyson trade has to be one of the worst mutual benefit trades of all time.

Dom is still only 31 years of age... wtf happened there, 2016 he looked unbelievable pick up for Melb, only to be dumped in favour of Trac and Oliver, two contested freaks, in shame in that, in a perfect world he'd still have a few years left in front of him guiding the kids.
Cruelled by injuries and a complete lack of athleticism.

Tom Morris reporting that a Victorian club has tabled an offer to Mac Andrew, not for this year but next year when his contract at the Suns comes to an end.

1.5m per year for 8 years.

He wasn't sure which club it was. North, Saints, Essendon and Hawthorn were mentioned as being the likely players.
I think out of that list we probably have the biggest need and the biggest bank balance so wouldn't be surprised if it was us.
l cant see it being the Dawks if the are getting Barrass and Battle and they already have Sicily. Bummers have just invested big time in McKay so l'm thinking either us or the Aints which would free up Comben to go Forward. However l'n not sure spending $12m over 8 years is wise before we have re-signed LDU...He's good but l dont think he's that type of money good..

View attachment 2098295

Am I the only one quietly optimistic that this lad can fill that pressure forward role if he trains the house down this off-season?

Biggest issue seemed to be a lack of fitness tank, but lets be real the kid has obviously worked hard in the gym whilst juggling an apprenticeship.

Given the resources at his disposal and now being a full-time athlete , you can build a lot of endurance over one off-season. I don't expect him to be an insane talent like a Charlie Cameron, but as a player to mow people down in the front half we could be on...
If all we expect from a pressure small forward is to mow people down, we should have kept Mahoney

If all we expect from a pressure small forward is to mow people down, we should have kept Mahoney
I think we need to accept that we aren’t going to bring a huge talent small forward in, at least in the next few years.

There are plenty of clubs that perform well by just turning the heat up in the f50.

If we can start doing that and snag some more wins we won’t be seen as a the club where careers go to die

Good young player, good fit for our mid due to size and age... just feel he will be involved in the noble trade

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Well, if we actually do want him, we're going to have to pull off the near impossible...get him to nominate North as his team if choice.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caddy, Cadman, Van Rooyen, McDonald, Tilthorpe, and Amiss all key forwards that we had the opportunity to draft over the last 4 seasons but passed on due to this obsession with midfielders. I don't know where Darling is at with his footy. I haven't watched the Eagles, it's been hard enough watching one teams shiteness let alone two. This is where we are at due to who we have decided not to draft or even trade for (see Chol, 2MP Wright, McDonald, to name just a few.) It is so frustrating, Larkey has needed proper support in the form of another key forward since the start of 2021! Almost 5 years on and here we are looking at giving Darling the opportunity to top up his superannuation before retirement. Some stupid planning or non planning has happened in our list management during this time.

Cadman, averaged 1.2 goals a game. Giants were a contender before they got him and they have a massive leg up due to the academy system.

Caddy, averaged 0.9 goals a game. Bombers weren't a contend and didn't make the finals this year.

Van Rooyen, 1.4 goals a game. Dees were a contended when they got him but have imploded this year, ended 14th. No Petracca and on the bender Oliver and they finish 14th? So how impactful is the key forward when you can't get the ball forward with any kind of system?

McDonald 1.5 goals a game. Swans had a crazy good list before they got him and a super strong midfield.

Tilthorpe- small sample size, only played the last 7 games, 2.1g average... Crows finished bottom 4 largely because their midfield isn't any good.

Amiss-1.6 goals a game. They have a strong midfield but didn't make the finals.

Out of all of these forward the only two that will see finals this year are from the Sydney clubs that have a massive academy advantage so they can afford to roll the dice on key forwards.

I think the vast majority of goals come from marks on the lead, the only reason Larkey averages 2.0 goals a game is because we go to him with the vast majority of inside 50s, he benefits from the saturation of delivery, when he doesn't lead he doesn't kick shit. If you can hit Larkey on the lead, you can hit anyone on the lead, you don't need to be 196cm+, Richmond at their best only had Riewoldt up forward and the rest were small/medium forwards, their inside 50 deliver was just top notch.

Our biggest issue is who takes the kicks inside 50 and what proportion of them lead to goal assists, we continually put the ball into the hands of guys who can't kick and they feel they have the license to mongrel the ball inside 50. That is on Clarkson and the assistant coaches.

LDU 122 I50s/13 (9.38)
Simpkin 76/10 (7.60)
Sheezel 75/20 (3.75)
Zurhaar 68/13 (5.23)
Powell 68/13 (5.23)
Scott 65/8 (8.13)
Wardlaw 62/10 (6.2)
Xerri 50/6 (8.3)
Curtis 45/14 (3.21)
Tucker 43/6 (7.16)
Stephenson 30/3 (10)
Larkey 30/7 (4.29)
McKercher 25/3 (8.3)
Fisher 22/0 Shithouse
Shiels 21/4 (5.25)
Teakle 21/1 (21)
Ford 19/6 (4.9)
Phillips 19/4 (4.75)
Duursma 16/2 (8.0)
Corr 14/1 (14)
Drury 14/1 (14)
Pink 14/4 (3.5)
Lazarro 13/6 (2.16)
Comben 11/1 (11)
Hansen 9/2 (4.5)
Taylor 8/4 (2.0)
Dawson 6/1 (6.0)
Archer 3
Bergman 2
CCJ 2/2 (1.0)
Dawson W. 1
Logue 1

Those with small sample sizes could just come down to luck, but LDU's kicking inside 50 has become a liability, he tries to stab a perfect pass and muffs it way too high a percentage, someone like Sheezel has the ability to just put a soft kick to advantage, it is something he can execute even under pressure.

We need to stop getting LDU and Simpkin shanking the ball inside 50 and look to get the ball into Sheezel's hands, I think guys like Curtis, Zurhaar and Duursma have the potential to produce plenty of goals if we we start to play with more system and look to take advantage of the strengths we have. We obviously have players who can hit that passes inside the forward 50 but atm they represent a minority of our inside 50s.

sloth GIF

One problem with that plan....

Cadman, averaged 1.2 goals a game. Giants were a contender before they got him and they have a massive leg up due to the academy system.

Caddy, averaged 0.9 goals a game. Bombers weren't a contend and didn't make the finals this year.

Van Rooyen, 1.4 goals a game. Dees were a contended when they got him but have imploded this year, ended 14th. No Petracca and on the bender Oliver and they finish 14th? So how impactful is the key forward when you can't get the ball forward with any kind of system?

McDonald 1.5 goals a game. Swans had a crazy good list before they got him and a super strong midfield.

Tilthorpe- small sample size, only played the last 7 games, 2.1g average... Crows finished bottom 4 largely because their midfield isn't any good.

Out of all of these forward the only two that will see finals this year are from the Sydney clubs that have a massive academy advantage so they can afford to roll the dice on key forwards.

I think the vast majority of goals come from marks on the lead, the only reason Larkey averages 2.0 goals a game is because we go to him with the vast majority of inside 50s, he benefits from the saturation of delivery, when he doesn't lead he doesn't kick shit. If you can hit Larkey on the lead, you can hit anyone on the lead, you don't need to be 196cm+, Richmond at their best only had Riewoldt up forward and the rest were small/medium forwards, their inside 50 deliver was just top notch.

Our biggest issue is who takes the kicks inside 50 and what proportion of them lead to goal assists, we continually put the ball into the hands of guys who can't kick and they feel they have the license to mongrel the ball inside 50. That is on Clarkson and the assistant coaches.

LDU 122 I50s/13 (9.38)
Simpkin 76/10 (7.60)
Sheezel 75/20 (3.75)
Zurhaar 68/13 (5.23)
Powell 68/13 (5.23)
Scott 65/8 (8.13)
Wardlaw 62/10 (6.2)
Xerri 50/6 (8.3)
Curtis 45/14 (3.21)
Tucker 43/6 (7.16)
Stephenson 30/3 (10)
Larkey 30/7 (4.29)
McKercher 25/3 (8.3)
Fisher 22/0 Shithouse
Shiels 21/4 (5.25)
Teakle 21/1 (21)
Ford 19/6 (4.9)
Phillips 19/4 (4.75)
Duursma 16/2 (8.0)
Corr 14/1 (14)
Drury 14/1 (14)
Pink 14/4 (3.5)
Lazarro 13/6 (2.16)
Comben 11/1 (11)
Hansen 9/2 (4.5)
Taylor 8/4 (2.0)
Dawson 6/1 (6.0)
Archer 3
Bergman 2
CCJ 2/2 (1.0)
Dawson W. 1
Logue 1

Those with small sample sizes could just come down to luck, but LDU's kicking inside 50 has become a liability, he tries to stab a perfect pass and muffs it way too high a percentage, someone like Sheezel has the ability to just put a soft kick to advantage, it is something he can execute even under pressure.

We need to stop getting LDU and Simpkin shanking the ball inside 50 and look to get the ball into Sheezel's hands, I think guys like Curtis, Zurhaar and Duursma have the potential to produce plenty of goals if we we start to play with more system and look to take advantage of the strengths we have. We obviously have players who can hit that passes inside the forward 50 but atm they represent a minority of our inside 50s.
That's an excellent analysis well done :thumbsupemoji:

Well, if we actually do want him, we're going to have to pull off the near impossible...get him to nominate North as his team if choice.

Can't see them going Davies and a Parker/Other Mature Mid so can't make call yet

I think we need to accept that we aren’t going to bring a huge talent small forward in, at least in the next few years.

There are plenty of clubs that perform well by just turning the heat up in the f50.

If we can start doing that and snag some more wins we won’t be seen as a the club where careers go to die
We can do that, RHJ just needs to improve on his strength and tackling, get Draper, play Simpkin more fwd and Rosas.

Can't see them going Davies and a Parker/Other Mature Mid so can't make call yet

He's quite young still, he'd be a long term proposition. Parker would be 1-2 year old head. Definitely room for both.

And if we did want him, we wouldn't want to be mucking around.

LDU 122 I50s/13 (9.38)
Simpkin 76/10 (7.60)
Sheezel 75/20 (3.75)
Zurhaar 68/13 (5.23)
Powell 68/13 (5.23)
Scott 65/8 (8.13)
Wardlaw 62/10 (6.2)
Xerri 50/6 (8.3)
Curtis 45/14 (3.21)
Tucker 43/6 (7.16)
Stephenson 30/3 (10)
Larkey 30/7 (4.29)
McKercher 25/3 (8.3)
Fisher 22/0 Shithouse
Shiels 21/4 (5.25)
Teakle 21/1 (21)
Ford 19/6 (4.9)
Phillips 19/4 (4.75)
Duursma 16/2 (8.0)
Corr 14/1 (14)
Drury 14/1 (14)
Pink 14/4 (3.5)
Lazarro 13/6 (2.16)
Comben 11/1 (11)
Hansen 9/2 (4.5)
Taylor 8/4 (2.0)
Dawson 6/1 (6.0)
Archer 3
Bergman 2
CCJ 2/2 (1.0)
Dawson W. 1
Logue 1

No doubt quality i50s makes a huge difference but id argue a big part of it how we transition. i50s after going down the line makes it far easier to defend and allows time for numbers to drift back.

But if we cut through the middle we often turn over due to skills or players unable to get separation and overlap. Both make hitting the target far easier, and then gives us a fwds a much better chance.

Then comes the fwd pressure for repeat entries and stopping ourselves being torched on transition.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back