List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL trade news, Moneyball: Dan Houston still open to Victorian move despite Port Adelaide commitment​

Dan Houston remains open to a move to Victoria despite his public commitment to stay at Port Adelaide. Plus, a delisted Bomber could stay at Essendon and be thrown an AFL lifeline.
Jon Ralph, Josh Barnes and Glenn McFarlane

8 min read
September 3, 2024 - 5:53PM

Dan Houston remains keen to join his partner in Victoria next year despite his public stance but the Power has the cap space to retain him even if it lands a pair of GWS free agents.

Houston was emphatic over the weekend that he was contracted and keen to honour his contract at Port Adelaide.

But behind the scenes there is a recognition from the Power and rival clubs that a trade could still be orchestrated for the dual All Australian, with his partner living in Melbourne.

The 27-year-old former Oakleigh Charger has decided he is not keen to play for the Melbourne Demons but clubs including Carlton, Collingwood and St Kilda have all made inquiries about the rebounding defender.

Port Adelaide would love to keep him and would be more than happy to retain his services.

But the club is aware he has reasons to want to return to Victoria if the right trade can be orchestrated.

St Kilda could still secure a second top-ten pick if Josh Battle’s contract hits a first-round compensation trigger, so the Saints might have an early pick to hand over.

Carlton will struggle to find a way to give up early picks for Houston, while the Pies would need to find a first-round pick to secure his services.

The Power is chasing GWS free agency defenders Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming, who are yet to decide their futures as the season rolls into September.

The club’s responsible salary cap management means it could retain Houston and find space for the pair if they decided on the Power as their club of choice.

Hawthorn remains in the mix for Perryman, who would ideally stay at the Giants but has bigger financial offers elsewhere.

The Power have half back Josh Sinn off contract next year and rebounder Kane Farrell becoming a restricted free agent so stocking up on half backs is responsible list management.

DURYEA POISED FOR ANOTHER ONE-YEAR DEAL

Veteran Western Bulldogs defender Taylor Duryea is moving towards his eighth one-year deal after another consistent season.

The former Hawk was delisted and then taken by the Bulldogs in the rookie draft last year as the club shifted players around.

The 33-year-old knew he was in a safe spot to be retained by the club last year and after starting the season in the VFL has played 21-straight games to be a lock for Friday’s elimination final against Hawthorn.

The left-footer said he had no issues being out of contract again as the season heads towards its conclusion and was having positive talks with the Dogs.

“I have been in this position many times, if I go on again it will be my eighth one-year contract so I am used to signing deals and playing late into the year before getting a new one,” he told this masthead.

“I don’t need anything done now, I am just worried about making sure we go deep into September.

“I am keen to go on next year and close to sorting something out.”

Duryea described his 2023 season as “really challenging” as his young son Albie presented sleeping difficulties.
“I felt like if I could get that on track and we get into a good routine, I feel like I have got that energy back,” he said.

“I was always confident I could get in this year and have a good impact.”

Duryea’s ability to play as a lockdown defender has allowed runners like Lachie Bramble and Bailey Dale to attack off halfback.

The two-time premiership Hawk will face his old team on Friday and will be faced with a tough job rotating through forwards Dylan Moore, Jack Ginnivan, Nick Watson, Luke Breust and Connor Macdonald.

WILL MONEY SCUPPER ANY LUKOSIUS MOVE?

Jack Lukosius will have to consider whether to take a pay cut or move to a second club as his back-ended contract creates challenges for clubs assessing his value.

The 24-year-old Gold Coast swingman has been told he can assess his options but would ideally love to stay on the coast with his mates under coach Damien Hardwick.

Clubs chasing Lukosius believe he is yet to fully commit to actually moving to a new club and might even be keen to stay even if it costs him financially.

He has two more years of a back-ended deal that averages out at about $850,000 but hits around $950,000 in the next two years.

He could volunteer to take less money — potentially for the security of another season.

But with the Suns in contract negotiations with a bevy of star players it would create valuable salary cap room if he did move on.

Key defenders Sam Collins and Mac Andrew are contracted for 2025 but in talks on new deals, with Matt Rowell and Charlie Ballard also contracted for another year but sure to sign extensions.

Adelaide and Port Adelaide have interest in Lukosius, who does not play a physical brand of football but kicked 39.22 last year.

He would also add some silky delivery to the Crows forward line as he used his foot skills to deliver the ball to Riley Thilthorpe and Darcy Fogarty.

The Suns are hopeful they will sign strong-bodied midfielder Alex Davies on a two-year deal despite interest from clubs including Collingwood.

RICHARDS A HAPPY BULLDOG

Brilliant Western Bulldogs midfield star Ed Richards says he is prepared to sacrifice his free agency rights to remain at Whitten Oval as the club’s premiership window bursts wide open.

Defender Richards was thrown into the midfield after Tom Liberatore’s early-season concussion and has quickly become one of the Dogs’ weapons given his dash and neat skills.

He admitted this week after copping a midfield mauling from Patrick Cripps and battling with the running loads he believed he was out of his depth.

Now after Luke Beveridge nailed one of the coaching moves of the season he has effortlessly become the dashing midfielder of the future the club Bailey Smith hoped would become.

Richards, Sam Darcy and captain Marcus Bontempelli are all out of contract next year and all from the same management stable.

But Richards, 25, made clear his only consideration was backing in the club that gave him his start.
Asked if he was keen to si

gn an early extension rather than letting his situation drag out, he told the Herald Sun he was keen to lock away his future.

“I am absolutely hoping to get it done and I guess sign the contract and be done with it,” he said.

“I love the club. I love the people here. They’re obviously amazing. And I have formed such a great bond with the players and some of them are just my best mates. So yeah, I really love this football club and love the direction that we’re going.”

Richards said the reason why so many free agents and high-profile players continued to recommit at Whitten Oval was simple.

“It’s definitely the people. They don’t really take things for granted here,” he said.

“The group of boys especially make you happy to come in and do the hard work together. I have found that over my time here, people are willing to do the hard work for each other, not self-gain. It’s why people love staying here and it’s a good trait of our football club for sure.”

DELISTED DON COULD YET BE RETAINED

Essendon may have delisted Kaine Baldwin last week but the defender may yet don the sash again.

The luckless defender is expected to train with the Bombers again this pre-season with the hope of being relisted, if he isn’t snapped up by a rival as a delisted free agent.

Baldwin played eight games across 2022 and 2023 but missed the entire 2024 season due to a navicular injury in his left foot.

He is hopeful of being back to full contract training in the first week of December, which would allow him to get virtually a full pre-season in.

Having been delisted, Baldwin becomes a free agent so could be signed by any club at any time over the off-season.

The intercept defender impressed track watchers over summer with his aerial work before he suffered the injury in February.

Baldwin was signed by the Bombers over the summer period in 2021 and averaged 3.3 intercept marks and 7.6 intercept possessions in 12 VFL appearances last year.

A similar intercepting defender, Jayden Laverde has drawn interest from rivals as he enters the final year of his contract.

The Bombers believe Laverde is a required player.

DANGERFIELD’S CONTRACT TALKS DRAG ON

Patrick Dangerfield looks likely to end Geelong’s finals series without a contract for next year with talks on a new deal still running.

The last restricted free agent remaining on the board, Dangerfield will be available to suitors at the end of the season but is not expected to entertain a move away from the Cats.

The Cats skipper has been public in his desire for a multi-year deal but has battled soft tissue injuries recent years, including hamstring problems in 2023.

But he has been injury-free since Geelong’s bye and still looms as a key figure in his club’s push for premiership success in 2024.

A dominant finals series from Dangerfield would undoubtedly see him commend that multi-year contract.
All the other restricted free agents on the board have re-signed throughout 2024.

They were Brisbane pair Jarrod Berry and Hugh McCluggage, Essendon vice-captain Andrew McGrath, Gold Coast forward Ben Ainsworth, Hawthorn’s Blake Hardwick, Roo Cam Zurhaar, Swan Will Hayward and Bulldogs ruck Tim English.

KEY-POSITON GIANTS IN-DEMAND

Uncapped GWS swingman Wade Derksen has emerged as a wanted man in a thin field for key position players this trade period.

Derksen, 23, believes he can be a goalkicking forward and has played as a key defender throughout 2024 but has been stuck behind Giants Sam Taylor, Harry Himmelberg, Jack Buckley and Leek Aleer.

Several clubs have registered interest in the 194cm player, including clubs in Western Australia and Victoria.

It is understood Melbourne is one of the clubs interested in Derksen.

He was taken at No.5 in the 2022 mid-season draft after being watched closely by several clubs during stints with Essendon in the VFL, Peel Thunder in the WAFL and NTFL side Nightcliff.

Hailing from the Northern Territory, Derksen and his partner are due to have twins this week and already have a young son.

He is contracted for next year at GWS but would like more family help given his growing family and is expected to favour a trade to Victoria for that reason.

Derksen has put up impressive numbers in the VFL this year, averaging 19.5 disposals, 2.9 intercept marks and 8 intercept possessions a game.

He floated forward in the last three games of the year and kicked two goals in each match.

With Hawthorn poised to lock away Saints free agent Josh Battle and trade in Eagle Tom Barrass, clubs are scrambling for key defensive and key forward help.

Derksen’s teammate Aleer played eight AFL games this year for the Giants before being tipped out of the side and has been the subject of rival offers but is expected to stay in orange and see out his contract next year.

Another Giant caught in the defensive logjam, veteran Nick Haynes appears poised to leave as a free agent, with Carlton heavily into the intercept defender.

Demon Adam Tomlinson is expected to seek a third club, having not played more than nine games in a season in each of the last four years.

Cat Jake Kolodjashnij is closing in on a two-year extension, taking him out of the market.

Key position pair Tim Membrey and Dougal Howard are both out of contract currently at St Kilda as the Saints work through a huge list of players needing new deals.

Howard is in talks with the Saints to lock in a new deal as the club has a clearer picture of its defence following Battle’s defection to the Hawks.

Rory Lobb was expected to push for a move but has now settled at the Western Bulldogs after being deployed in defence in the back half of the year.

Collingwood has been touted as heavily into Adelaide Irishman Mark Keane, who played five games with the club from 2020-21.

AFL trade news, Moneyball: Dan Houston still open to Victorian move despite Port Adelaide commitment​

Dan Houston remains open to a move to Victoria despite his public commitment to stay at Port Adelaide. Plus, a delisted Bomber could stay at Essendon and be thrown an AFL lifeline.
Jon Ralph, Josh Barnes and Glenn McFarlane

8 min read
September 3, 2024 - 5:53PM

Dan Houston remains keen to join his partner in Victoria next year despite his public stance but the Power has the cap space to retain him even if it lands a pair of GWS free agents.

Houston was emphatic over the weekend that he was contracted and keen to honour his contract at Port Adelaide.

But behind the scenes there is a recognition from the Power and rival clubs that a trade could still be orchestrated for the dual All Australian, with his partner living in Melbourne.

The 27-year-old former Oakleigh Charger has decided he is not keen to play for the Melbourne Demons but clubs including Carlton, Collingwood and St Kilda have all made inquiries about the rebounding defender.

Port Adelaide would love to keep him and would be more than happy to retain his services.

But the club is aware he has reasons to want to return to Victoria if the right trade can be orchestrated.

St Kilda could still secure a second top-ten pick if Josh Battle’s contract hits a first-round compensation trigger, so the Saints might have an early pick to hand over.

Carlton will struggle to find a way to give up early picks for Houston, while the Pies would need to find a first-round pick to secure his services.

The Power is chasing GWS free agency defenders Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming, who are yet to decide their futures as the season rolls into September.

The club’s responsible salary cap management means it could retain Houston and find space for the pair if they decided on the Power as their club of choice.

Hawthorn remains in the mix for Perryman, who would ideally stay at the Giants but has bigger financial offers elsewhere.

The Power have half back Josh Sinn off contract next year and rebounder Kane Farrell becoming a restricted free agent so stocking up on half backs is responsible list management.

DURYEA POISED FOR ANOTHER ONE-YEAR DEAL

Veteran Western Bulldogs defender Taylor Duryea is moving towards his eighth one-year deal after another consistent season.

The former Hawk was delisted and then taken by the Bulldogs in the rookie draft last year as the club shifted players around.

The 33-year-old knew he was in a safe spot to be retained by the club last year and after starting the season in the VFL has played 21-straight games to be a lock for Friday’s elimination final against Hawthorn.

The left-footer said he had no issues being out of contract again as the season heads towards its conclusion and was having positive talks with the Dogs.

“I have been in this position many times, if I go on again it will be my eighth one-year contract so I am used to signing deals and playing late into the year before getting a new one,” he told this masthead.

“I don’t need anything done now, I am just worried about making sure we go deep into September.

“I am keen to go on next year and close to sorting something out.”

Duryea described his 2023 season as “really challenging” as his young son Albie presented sleeping difficulties.
“I felt like if I could get that on track and we get into a good routine, I feel like I have got that energy back,” he said.

“I was always confident I could get in this year and have a good impact.”

Duryea’s ability to play as a lockdown defender has allowed runners like Lachie Bramble and Bailey Dale to attack off halfback.

The two-time premiership Hawk will face his old team on Friday and will be faced with a tough job rotating through forwards Dylan Moore, Jack Ginnivan, Nick Watson, Luke Breust and Connor Macdonald.

WILL MONEY SCUPPER ANY LUKOSIUS MOVE?

Jack Lukosius will have to consider whether to take a pay cut or move to a second club as his back-ended contract creates challenges for clubs assessing his value.

The 24-year-old Gold Coast swingman has been told he can assess his options but would ideally love to stay on the coast with his mates under coach Damien Hardwick.

Clubs chasing Lukosius believe he is yet to fully commit to actually moving to a new club and might even be keen to stay even if it costs him financially.

He has two more years of a back-ended deal that averages out at about $850,000 but hits around $950,000 in the next two years.

He could volunteer to take less money — potentially for the security of another season.

But with the Suns in contract negotiations with a bevy of star players it would create valuable salary cap room if he did move on.

Key defenders Sam Collins and Mac Andrew are contracted for 2025 but in talks on new deals, with Matt Rowell and Charlie Ballard also contracted for another year but sure to sign extensions.

Adelaide and Port Adelaide have interest in Lukosius, who does not play a physical brand of football but kicked 39.22 last year.

He would also add some silky delivery to the Crows forward line as he used his foot skills to deliver the ball to Riley Thilthorpe and Darcy Fogarty.

The Suns are hopeful they will sign strong-bodied midfielder Alex Davies on a two-year deal despite interest from clubs including Collingwood.

RICHARDS A HAPPY BULLDOG

Brilliant Western Bulldogs midfield star Ed Richards says he is prepared to sacrifice his free agency rights to remain at Whitten Oval as the club’s premiership window bursts wide open.

Defender Richards was thrown into the midfield after Tom Liberatore’s early-season concussion and has quickly become one of the Dogs’ weapons given his dash and neat skills.

He admitted this week after copping a midfield mauling from Patrick Cripps and battling with the running loads he believed he was out of his depth.

Now after Luke Beveridge nailed one of the coaching moves of the season he has effortlessly become the dashing midfielder of the future the club Bailey Smith hoped would become.

Richards, Sam Darcy and captain Marcus Bontempelli are all out of contract next year and all from the same management stable.

But Richards, 25, made clear his only consideration was backing in the club that gave him his start.
Asked if he was keen to si

gn an early extension rather than letting his situation drag out, he told the Herald Sun he was keen to lock away his future.

“I am absolutely hoping to get it done and I guess sign the contract and be done with it,” he said.

“I love the club. I love the people here. They’re obviously amazing. And I have formed such a great bond with the players and some of them are just my best mates. So yeah, I really love this football club and love the direction that we’re going.”

Richards said the reason why so many free agents and high-profile players continued to recommit at Whitten Oval was simple.

“It’s definitely the people. They don’t really take things for granted here,” he said.

“The group of boys especially make you happy to come in and do the hard work together. I have found that over my time here, people are willing to do the hard work for each other, not self-gain. It’s why people love staying here and it’s a good trait of our football club for sure.”

DELISTED DON COULD YET BE RETAINED

Essendon may have delisted Kaine Baldwin last week but the defender may yet don the sash again.

The luckless defender is expected to train with the Bombers again this pre-season with the hope of being relisted, if he isn’t snapped up by a rival as a delisted free agent.

Baldwin played eight games across 2022 and 2023 but missed the entire 2024 season due to a navicular injury in his left foot.

He is hopeful of being back to full contract training in the first week of December, which would allow him to get virtually a full pre-season in.

Having been delisted, Baldwin becomes a free agent so could be signed by any club at any time over the off-season.

The intercept defender impressed track watchers over summer with his aerial work before he suffered the injury in February.

Baldwin was signed by the Bombers over the summer period in 2021 and averaged 3.3 intercept marks and 7.6 intercept possessions in 12 VFL appearances last year.

A similar intercepting defender, Jayden Laverde has drawn interest from rivals as he enters the final year of his contract.

The Bombers believe Laverde is a required player.

DANGERFIELD’S CONTRACT TALKS DRAG ON

Patrick Dangerfield looks likely to end Geelong’s finals series without a contract for next year with talks on a new deal still running.

The last restricted free agent remaining on the board, Dangerfield will be available to suitors at the end of the season but is not expected to entertain a move away from the Cats.

The Cats skipper has been public in his desire for a multi-year deal but has battled soft tissue injuries recent years, including hamstring problems in 2023.

But he has been injury-free since Geelong’s bye and still looms as a key figure in his club’s push for premiership success in 2024.

A dominant finals series from Dangerfield would undoubtedly see him commend that multi-year contract.
All the other restricted free agents on the board have re-signed throughout 2024.

They were Brisbane pair Jarrod Berry and Hugh McCluggage, Essendon vice-captain Andrew McGrath, Gold Coast forward Ben Ainsworth, Hawthorn’s Blake Hardwick, Roo Cam Zurhaar, Swan Will Hayward and Bulldogs ruck Tim English.

KEY-POSITON GIANTS IN-DEMAND

Uncapped GWS swingman Wade Derksen has emerged as a wanted man in a thin field for key position players this trade period.

Derksen, 23, believes he can be a goalkicking forward and has played as a key defender throughout 2024 but has been stuck behind Giants Sam Taylor, Harry Himmelberg, Jack Buckley and Leek Aleer.

Several clubs have registered interest in the 194cm player, including clubs in Western Australia and Victoria.

It is understood Melbourne is one of the clubs interested in Derksen.

He was taken at No.5 in the 2022 mid-season draft after being watched closely by several clubs during stints with Essendon in the VFL, Peel Thunder in the WAFL and NTFL side Nightcliff.

Hailing from the Northern Territory, Derksen and his partner are due to have twins this week and already have a young son.

He is contracted for next year at GWS but would like more family help given his growing family and is expected to favour a trade to Victoria for that reason.

Derksen has put up impressive numbers in the VFL this year, averaging 19.5 disposals, 2.9 intercept marks and 8 intercept possessions a game.

He floated forward in the last three games of the year and kicked two goals in each match.

With Hawthorn poised to lock away Saints free agent Josh Battle and trade in Eagle Tom Barrass, clubs are scrambling for key defensive and key forward help.

Derksen’s teammate Aleer played eight AFL games this year for the Giants before being tipped out of the side and has been the subject of rival offers but is expected to stay in orange and see out his contract next year.

Another Giant caught in the defensive logjam, veteran Nick Haynes appears poised to leave as a free agent, with Carlton heavily into the intercept defender.

Demon Adam Tomlinson is expected to seek a third club, having not played more than nine games in a season in each of the last four years.

Cat Jake Kolodjashnij is closing in on a two-year extension, taking him out of the market.

Key position pair Tim Membrey and Dougal Howard are both out of contract currently at St Kilda as the Saints work through a huge list of players needing new deals.

Howard is in talks with the Saints to lock in a new deal as the club has a clearer picture of its defence following Battle’s defection to the Hawks.

Rory Lobb was expected to push for a move but has now settled at the Western Bulldogs after being deployed in defence in the back half of the year.

Collingwood has been touted as heavily into Adelaide Irishman Mark Keane, who played five games with the club from 2020-21.
Baldwin might be an ok Rookie spot. IIRC he has potential

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of water to go under the bridge, if all these picks come off for Richmond? If St Kilda get a pick after their own? Who knows, what do Richmond do? They hold the key in setting the tune, one would think its either Jagga or Finn and I'm very curious as to the quietness of Sid Draper on their board, actually very surprised, are they worried about the go-home factor or they just don't rate him. As I've said before if we don't split our pick 2 for two first rounders then okay, we get our gun mid but we must trade in a future second rounder in this draft and I think there will be suitors.
I'd be interested in this too - but who's in the market to trade do you think?

Was that you I saw out walking on the bay this morning???? Ok if I drop by with a couple of 44 gallon drums of water to turn into wine. Quite fond of the 98 Grange but not too fussy, any vintage will do.
fixed

have a look in the back shed, marked gasoline to deter the riff raff

North Melbourne​

There are names linked to the Kangaroos every year, but what we do know is they are in the market for experience. Jack Viney is staying at Melbourne, North have not had any chats with West Coast about Jack Darling, and they are also not making a play for St Kilda’s Tim Membrey. Port Adelaide’s Ollie Wines, Swan Luke Parker and Giant Callan Ward are other players Alastair Clarkson raised publicly as potential targets, but it remains to be seen if they can tempt any of that trio – or a similarly experienced peer. Blake Drury, Hamish Free, Cooper Harvey, Charlie Lazzaro, Finnbar Maley, Bigoa Nyuon, Tyler Sellers and Curtis Taylor are out of contract. – Marc McGowan

Source: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-to-the-afl-trade-period-20240902-p5k78h.html

I'm really not a fan of Marc McGowan. Always seems to have had something against the club during his time when you read his stories. Was also the one that went after Clarko after specifying players during that presser. Wouldn't take anything he says as gospel.
Let's not forget the Jasper Scaife story that he reported on before the mid season draft.

I'm really not a fan of Marc McGowan. Always seems to have had something against the club during his time when you read his stories. Was also the one that went after Clarko after specifying players during that presser. Wouldn't take anything he says as gospel.

Always been very fair with us. Used to be the North writer at the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back