List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

If we can get Luke Parker in I will be ecstatic.

The impact he'll have on Harry, George and Colby is scintillating, and it demonstrates to all three that we're prioritising their development and they are in safe hands at North.

Not to mention, LDU is far from a finished product himself.
If we get him, i’ll get a bag and break my abstinence

Yep their F1 is pick 5 this year. To be fair neither team would have thought the Dees would end up bottom five.
So I could I see how West Coast said no dice. But that's why trading F1's is a bit of a gamble with where teams finish.
In hindsight though 3 first round picks in this draft for wet toast could supercharge their rebuild. No foresight into this draft? Shocking decision. In hindsight

Take Houston over a top pick that may take 3-4 years to come on or not at all?

We've been on the bottom for way too long. He is a HUGE upgrade on Lmac etc look how hopeless Port looked out of that backline without him.

Exactly. Houston is better than the vast majority of top 10 picks over the last decade. Arguably the best half back in the comp and fills an experience gap. F1 is a no brainer.

The disgruntled tenor of this thread surprises me a bit.

Clearly we're not in a strong market position - last year, our weak bargaining meant that we paid overs for the type of player thought to be most in need (runners - Fisher and stephens). Or at least we paid over in terms of contract length, because I thought Rawlings did ok using the PPs to mix and match on the draft board. But in the end, it was either trade for what we could get, or do nothing.

Same as this year - we either take what's available, or do nothing.

The fact we appear to be going for 'experience' shouldn't surprise - clarko has said as much (repeatedly). And yes, that's a knock on such experience as we've got (again, if you believe the ITK, LMac got told as much in front of the group).

The key list management task as I see it is to keep the elite talent we have, and pad it out the best way we can while it matures. I can't say I'm bowled over by Darling, but I come back to it - who else? who are the A grade players wanting to join?

All these things you mention don't mean that you just go and fill your list with a bunch of cloggers that literally no other club is interested in.

In the case of needing Darling to teach our young key forwards, when should we expect the likes of Larkey and Zurhaar who are both 26yr olds, played over 100 games, to step up and take on some responsibility?

Darling: Hate it. He's cooked. 2 year deal as well?

Parker: Don't mind it

Houston: I'm a big draft fan but I think Houston is a top 20 player and the best kick in the comp. He'll turn 28 early on next year though and the pick will almost certainly end up top 3. Conflicted overall, but not sure it'll matter as he won't want to come to North anyway.

Peatling: Really like this at the right price

Darling: Hate it. He's cooked. 2 year deal as well?

Parker: Don't mind it

Houston: I'm a big draft fan but I think Houston is a top 20 player and the best kick in the comp. He'll turn 28 early on next year though and the pick will almost certainly end up top 3. Conflicted overall, but not sure it'll matter as he won't want to come to North anyway.

Peatling: Really like this at the right price
28 in may, half way through our season. Would still have 4 genuinely good footy years left at the least.

I just wouldn't offer it full stop.
unless we have a commitment from Parker, and a couple of others like Macrae, who along with the inclusion of Houston, another year of development into Sheezel, Wardlaw, Comben, McKercher, Curtis, and some help for Larkey, and the club seriously thinks thats enough to propel us up to mid table, which means once all the Academy, F/S, FA compo bidding occurs (and there is a LOT of it in next years draft) means our 2025 pick ends up in the 14-19 range of open picks......erm, could be a smart move.

In hindsight though 3 first round picks in this draft for wet toast could supercharge their rebuild. No foresight into this draft? Shocking decision. In hindsight
Ah yeah good point, they would have had Barass pick. So could have been 3 (their own), 5 (Dees) and 12* (*Hawks finish)
Last years picks from the trade could have been 7(6) - Curtin (Dees took Windsor) and 13(11) - Tholstrup for example.
But they would have thought Dees pick this year would be 12-18 and pick 6(7) isn't really an elite pick for Reid.
I can see how they knocked it back just based on pick 6 not being elite enough.

Exactly. Houston is better than the vast majority of top 10 picks over the last decade. Arguably the best half back in the comp and fills an experience gap. F1 is a no brainer.
💯 port won't let him go for **** all and I'm ****ing sick waiting to get better, hopefully split 2 and get two cracks at the first round this year. We've got another whole season to worry about next year's draft. We need to Improve now. If we were to land Parker and Houston and get some natural improvement from our young list clarko might finally have something to work with. 27yrs old 160 game all Australian elite defender, this is exactly what we need. We are seriously lacking in this age and game demographic.

I like that but agree they would still want something in this given they currently don't

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They're welcome to on trade our pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

unless we have a commitment from Parker, and a couple of others like Macrae, who along with the inclusion of Houston, another year of development into Sheezel, Wardlaw, Comben, McKercher, Curtis, and some help for Larkey, and the club seriously thinks thats enough to propel us up to mid table, which means once all the Academy, F/S, FA compo bidding occurs (and there is a LOT of it in next years draft) means our 2025 pick ends up in the 14-19 range of open picks......erm, could be a smart move.

If I'm offering up a top 4 pick for a player, I'm wanting an absolute game changer type.

Especially since DH is contracted and all he's said is that he wants to come to Victoria, so its completely up to PA's discretion which deal they accept.
Maybe, maybe not. They still have a game left to play (lose) at a minimum and we are far away from trade week. The story coming from Houston camp and his clarity on destination can and IMO will change between now and then - especially if he wants to move and Port don't come to the party.

Heard you guys have made enquiries around Hunter from Melb, Clarke from WB, Konstanty from Syd and Kuek from Freo

I was really keen on Charlie Clarke in his draft year, seemed like the ratbag small forward we needed and was a bit surprised you guys drafted him.

But if the trade went ahead, Harley might have been just what Melbourne needed to make the 8 and possibly even go deep into September.

So hypothetical outcomes aren't always a reflection of reality.

The big difference is that the established player is something of a known quantity. A draft selection is more of a gamble.

It isn't always that way but it often is.

I was really keen on Charlie Clarke in his draft year, seemed like the ratbag small forward we needed and was a bit surprised you guys drafted him.
He's had a good year in the VFL and I wouldn't be surprised if he took McNeil or Vandermeer's spots next year - will be interesting to see which way he goes
He's an entertaining player to watch - gone at around 15 touches, 5 tackles and a goal and a half a game in VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back