List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Shit, I’m hoping we are competing whilst a 20 year old and an 18 year old are still playing.

We ain’t competing for Jack Shat until the dysfunctional Forward half is sorted and I’m sorry to tell you all but Parker won’t be playing in 2029

They won three flags off the carcass of Fitzroy and are getting number 1 kids when competing for premierships. I’d take those swings and roundabouts
From memory, I think they won a spoon after the carcass of Fitzroy.

They didn't take Pike (the best and fairest) and Lynch had left the carcass beforehand.

Jono Brown, as father son from about 51 games and Chris Johnson were pretty handy though.

Nah the discount should not exist.
You already are getting a player your not entitled too due to ladder position.
That's a big enough bonus you don't need a discount on top.
It should be really hard to get 2 first round picks from academy or fs. Gc got 5 last year. Thats ridiculous
It’s no coincidence the grand finalists have massive leg up through academies, I don’t disagree with the concept but the mechanism needs adjustment. A post earlier linked the discount to finishing position, I think that is a great start, I also think if the bid comes in the first round you should need a first rounder in making up the value

They didn't take Pike (the best and fairest) and Lynch and had left the carcass beforehand.

Jono Brown, as father son from about 51 games and Chris Johnson were pretty handy though.

Imagine what would have happened had we merged?

On second thoughts

They didn't take Pike (the best and fairest) and Lynch and had left the carcass beforehand.

Jono Brown, as father son from about 50 games and Chris Johnson were pretty handy though.
It’s not about the immediate effect, it is an accumulation of off field finance injection and on field talent. Although Fitzroy were broke, the supporter base, merger funds, and additional income through sponsors played a big role in their success.

It’s no coincidence the grand finalists have massive leg up through academies, I don’t disagree with the concept but the mechanism needs adjustment. A post earlier linked the discount to finishing position, I think that is a great start, I also think if the bid comes in the first round you should need a first rounder in making up the value
Didn't sydney do a dodgy pick swap with the eagles to avoid them losing their first rounder a few years back, then in a turn of good fortune, trade it back during the live trade period after they got their academy pick safely tucked in?

Or am I imagining things?

Didn't sydney do a dodgy pick swap with the eagles to avoid them losing their first rounder a few years back, then in a turn of good fortune, trade it back during the live trade period after they got their academy pick safely tucked in?

I think they changed the rules after that. Or I could be imaging things too.

Can’t recall but obviously that would need looking at

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not about the immediate effect, it is an accumulation of off field finance injection and on field talent. Although Fitzroy were broke, the supporter base, merger funds, and additional income through sponsors played a big role in their success.
This is true.

The last time we were successful, it was off the back of some production line U19s program under Pagan, some savvy recruits in Carey and Longmire signed for a 70K transfer after a guy got sacked from Sydney, and some random delisted and traded for journey men like Blakey, Bell, Roberts, Laidley and Pike. Not to mention, the Pagan ability to talk disinterested guys like McKernan and Archer to actually play footy.

The time before, we had the magical ability to recruit interstate players like Blight, get out the brown paper bags for the small window the 10 year FA rule was actually open, and just happen to hit the jackpot in our zone with guys like Grieg and Schimmelbusch at the same time (when you would bet lucky to see one of those every 20 years).

I still remember the HUN newspaper publishing the best team of players that left Fitzroy during the 90s and you would swear the team the players that left could have won a flag.

Bit like the year where the top 10 of the Coleman had about 5 ex-Carlton players.

Yes. AFL closed that loophole the year after. They are incredibly well-run (putting the academy access aside).

If Half back is one of the most important What would be the most important position in the modern game.
HB is probably the most important position.
They generally take kickouts, command the ball in the backline and start the transition towards goal.
They also have the vision to push players around to needed spots of field and help lockdown the ball in opposition forward 50.

I’d go with Laurie Dwyer personally
I was there the day David Dwyer kicked the winning goal at PP in 85 against Carlton after we were 16 points down in time on. I think Donald McDonald might have kicked 7 that day.

Don't think it was the first time we were down 16 points in time on at that ground but I believe Blight kicked all 3, to win that game.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back