List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris johnson from the lions almost invented the modern attacking hbf.
Nah, Kevin Sheedy invented the modern attacking hbf, apparently he did it on a quiet afternoon... he'd just finished inventing indigenous footballers and needed a little side project before he got started on inventing country footy.

The irony is that you are comparing him to the worst kicks in the competition who also play midfield, it isn't a ringing endorsement that he is in this group. Most of these guys also play more inside than LDU.

I don't think LDU is a bad kick, he is just shithouse when he goes inside 50 and he doesn't do the heavy lifting defensively so I expect him to have a lot more polish going forward. Why doesn't he kick more goals? He should have tidied his kick inside 50 a long time ago.

Of the players you listed, I am using this years stats except for Oliver, he is on a bender and missed a lot of games last year so I am using his 2022 stats. Adams didn't play a lot of midfield time so I am using his stats from last year when he did.

LDU played 23 games, 86.4% ToG. Averaged 27.7 disposals, 13.7 kicks at 64.2% accuracy. He averaged 12.5 contested possessions at 44.2% CP rate). Averaged 6.3 clearances, 3.9 tackles and 23.1 pressure acts. He had 122 inside 50s (5.3 avg). He kicked 11.4 at 61.1% accuracy and had 13 goal assists or 9.39 I50s per goal assist.

Oliver in 2022 played 23 games and also had 86.4% ToG. Averaged 32.7 disposals, 15.0 kicks at 52.6% accuracy. He averaged 17.8 CPs at 53.3% CPR. Averaged 8.7 clearances, 5.5 tackles and 26.2 pressure acts. He had 124 inside 50s (5.4 avg). He kicked 8.7 at 31.3% accuracy and had 28 goal assists or 4.43 I50s per goal assist.

Oliver is a WAY worse kick than LDU but why is there such a stark contrast in assists. It isn't because we are shit kicks at goal like some clubs, we have a very good conversion rate, the delivery to our forwards is just abysmal and the last guy who tried to show our mids how real clubs deliver the ball inside 50 he was laughed off and kicked out of the club. They thought he was a dickhead for asking the mids to put the ball in front of him instead of 10m over his head.

Treloar 104 inside 50s (4.5 avg). 26 goal assists or 4.0 I50s per goal assist. He kicked 16.6 at 55.2% accuracy, his KE was 54.9%. Why is Treloar kicking a lot more goals and creating a lot more goals than LDU?

Serong also 104 inside 50s. 27 goal assists or 3.85 per GA. He kicked 13.10 at 44.8% and had a KE of 52.4%. Why is he a scoring machine compared to LDU?

Adams (2023) 88 inside 50s (3.8 avg) 25 goal assists or 3.52 per GA. Kicked 13.11 (44.8% accuracy) and had a KE of 52.7%. He was also 30 in 2023. LDU is in his prime and nowhere near as effective.

Anderson is probably more in LDU's league. He had 139 I50s (6.0 avg) for 15 GA or 9.27 per GA. He kicked 13.8 at 54.2% accuracy) and his KE was 58.8%. I wonder why GC ended bottom 4... must be a coincidence.

Caldwell only played 75.3% ToG, so he wasn't on the field as much. He had 82 inside 50s for 11 GA or 7.45 per GA, not good, but a lot better than 9.39. He kicked 8.9 at 34.8% accuracy and his KE was 60.1%. He had a lot more defensive roles, averaged 6.5 tackles per game.

If we are going to get out of the bottom 4 he has to improve his ball use.

I ain’t reading all that because the point I was making was lost in your post. I was saying that the OP who was complaining about him having the “worst kicking action in the comp” is wrong based on OBJECTIVE facts.

To have such an agenda against a single player is hilarious to me, never mind the player who won the Syd this year. How about we focus on things like our awful bottom 6 players? They have a larger say on whether we win games or not.

I ain’t reading all that because the point I was making was lost in your post. I was saying that the OP who was complaining about him having the “worst kicking action in the comp” is wrong based on OBJECTIVE facts.

To have such an agenda against a single player is hilarious to me, never mind the player who won the Syd this year. How about we focus on things like our awful bottom 6 players? They have a larger say on whether we win games or not.
Who would people rate as our remaining bottom six players, of those who regularly get games in the seniors?

Straight swap Jy for Oliver. Both on long term big money contracts. Both questionable to complete the term of the contracts for different reasons. Same age bracket. Both coming off lower than average years. Dees happy as Jy would be seen as character upgrade and thus should appease Trac. LDU, Harry, George happy as the best contested mid of the last 5 years slots in to give them protection and first use. Leadership wise Parker to captain until Harry takes over. It also shakes the place up from a complacency point of view seeing the captain traded.

Who would people rate as our remaining bottom six players, of those who regularly get games in the seniors?
Of those who played more than half the games in 2024:

Pink
McDonald
Stephenson
Stephens
Late season Shiels
Ford

We also didn't have any pacy defensive small forwards playing regular games in 2024. Adding one who can play at a competent standard would do us the world of good.

Port reinforcing my opinion that they are a pack of vankas
Mind is a bit slow this morning and I do confess, I was thinking “Ivanka Trump?, what’s the rhyming slang there” :p

Last edited:
With the microscope now firmly on Swans players who can't perform when it matters, how Francis will now be given another year is truly astonishing. He was beyond useless in the few games he played this year.
He gets as much love as CCJ and WillPhil on their boards. In the crowd they are scathing of him.

Swans had a great run with injuries for most of the year, but when Papley, McInernary and McCartin went down in and amongst that 100 Port thumping their soft underbelly was exposed. This is when the likes of Francis, Ladhams and Wicks come in and are way off the level required. Maybe he has some photos on Harley or Horse he brings out at each end of season interview 😎

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For our bottom six I will refer to our side with a healthy list: Pink, Tucker, Fisher, Stephens, McDonald, K. Dawson.

That is an absolutely diabolical bottom six. Perhaps one of the worst bottom sixes from any side I can remember.

Wtf are you on about now?
Agenda against Luke?
I was criticising the coaches for not fixing the obvious flaws in his technique. I find it bizarre that they haven't. His weight transference is awful. Afl is miles behind other sports in this sort of stuff. If it was golf or tennis, it would be sorted out first thing as a junior. In footy nobody seems to be interested in the basics of kicking the ball.

Agenda against Luke?
I was criticising the coaches for not fixing the obvious flaws in his technique. I find it bizarre that they haven't. His weight transference is awful. Afl is miles behind other sports in this sort of stuff. If it was golf or tennis, it would be sorted out first thing as a junior. In footy nobody seems to be interested in the basics of kicking the ball.
Gryan Myers likes this post

Of those who played more than half the games in 2024:

Pink
McDonald
Stephenson
Stephens
Late season Shiels
Ford

We also didn't have any pacy defensive small forwards playing regular games in 2024. Adding one who can play at a competent standard would do us the world of good.
+ Fisher as a stat padding unaccountable backman.

That was my point I guess. It’s up to you to make an offer, if not everyone walks away which I’m happy with.

You guys really need to get pick 2 out of your minds. You were never getting pick 2 for Houston. You're just fooling yourselves. Something around pick 10 is his worth. Everyone who is not Port Adelaide agrees.

+ Fisher as a stat padding unaccountable backman.
He was seventh on my list. But at least he's got versatility going for him.

Ford + Stephenson's spots in the best 23 really need to be replaced by defensively accountable small forwards.

If we did that, and replaced Pink with Darling, McDonald with Houston, Stephens with Daniel (via kerch moving to the wing), and Shiels with Parker, I think we'd be cooking with gas.

How keen do we think Melbourne are at getting Oliver and his contract off the books? Are they desperate for example would they attach pick 5 to Oliver and accept pick 22? Or do they honestly think they can get the majority of his contract off the books and get some decent capital back in return? Because if it’s the latter they are simply equally as delusional and naive as Oliver his himself at being shocked he is on the trade table.

Agenda against Luke?
It is clear what I'm on about, hence others have understood what I have said and liked the post.

I have seen multiple threads now where you constantly beat a dead horse (not too dissimilar to a lot of other posters around here) and expect something to happen. When you go onto a thread to repeat yourself verbatim it reveals an agenda.

With the way you describe his kicking, it must be truly awful. However, from my observance across every game this season it is nowhere near as bad as you describe.

I also strongly believe that his kicking consistency is largely a symptom of the team (zero leading patterns, getting smashed in inside 50s, being hassled when in possession due to overusing the ball, confidence in one's ability).

He has areas to improve on, but that's ok. Larkey kicked over 70 goals in a season when being a liability in 1-on-1 contested situations. Clearly, weaknesses will be present throughout a player's career as no one is perfect. If LDU is only an above average kick, this should not be hindering our premiership chances in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back