List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon you can pretty much write in stone:

thou shall not build from the midfield only

No club will ever follow our example again. There’s a very logical reason for it too. There are a shitload more good short players than tall ones.

Never begin that rebuild with a 180cm midfielder at pick 3 when an even better midfielder is there at pick 13, or pick up a 178cm one in the mid 30s who was predicted at pick 50 when there’s plenty of needs around that mark, only to pick up the worst small forward to have ever played for the club a few weeks later and have the draft saved by a mid sized forward at pick 56

Never begin that rebuild with a 180cm midfielder at pick 3 when an even better midfielder is there at pick 13, or pick up a 178cm one in the mid 30s who was predicted at pick 50 when there’s plenty of needs around that mark, only to pick up the worst small forward to have ever played for the club a few weeks later and have the draft saved by a mid sized forward at pick 56
Yeah, we’ve had more than our share of ****-ups.

Lol that's called jumping the gun, every flag team has a top midfield first and foremost.

Our 90s team were full of players who ended up playing around 300 if not much more games.

Our mode of rebuild is absolutely the right move, we are just in the first full year under clarkson. I mean who do you people here expect we achieve this year?
No, it's not the right way to build a team.
BPA with a bias towards talls is the best way to build a list, as talls take a lot longer to come in and contribute.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Which talls on the list are you backing in? Which of the the guys picked in the last six years do reckon will be part of our next challenge?

Mid season draft is literally the worst place to be relying on for KPP’s.

The hit rate is like 1/50.
Spot on.

Watching Weitering absolutely calve up Oscar Allen today in a diminished back line just shows how important a gun (early pick) big man is.

I’ll add if you can’t use the football to a reasonably good level then you can FRO as well.
Yes, this is spot on. We have way more than our fair share of sh#t kicks and given most of them are from our senior core, that’s not going to change now, they’re always going to be sh#t kicks. No room for anymore

I'm very uncomfortable with it. I feel truly lost when trying to understand how & why we are so far off every other team for skills, fitness and game plan.

I just don't get how there can be such a large variance in the way clubs train skills and fitness. It's a relatively small, incestuous industry and somehow we do perform like Liaeweenee U8's

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Trust me I get it, this is what happens when you do a full rebuild + the fact that we gutted the list so quickly, in fairness its not like half the players that we delisted are running around for other AFL clubs. So it was the right decision just the fact that we did it in a few hauls, I actually agree with the players we let go but there was two or three that I thought were a little unlucky, but here we are and we just have to ride the bumps that come along with doing this, have patience it'll happen, in fact its already begun it is just that people can't or refuse to see the good things that have happened , and a lot of it has happened after the mid-season point, and late last year.

Also we have turned over a lot of staff got a new and experienced coach, its very much like when a club draft a key defender or key forward, nearly everyone knows talls take time but yet after two/three/four years they are no good, we are duds at drafting tall's and he will never make it, its a classic impatience whinge. I have said it before and I'll say it again we are on the right path and the coaches we acquired are very good, they can't work miracles, we need more class and we are going to get it at the draft + some experience in the trade/free agency period, remember Tristan Xerri?

Over the last two years have a look at what posters had to say about him, seven years on our list and still posters were adamant he was not going to make it, what's happened this year, nothing out of the ordinary, that same player is probably going to make the "ALL AUSTRALIAN TEAM", that is just one tiny example, we now know what we are doing, we have and we are rectifying the problem, we were coming from a long way back, that is why teams in this era don't do full rebuilds anymore.

Last edited:
This info has to be coming strait from Petraccas inner circle.

You would have to think so. Lo and behold here’s the real story maybe on how Tom then signs off. That he’s against GC but he’s sure it will be another big Victorian club.
By the way what poor possum did they use for his wig….man that hair has issues 😂

Jesus H Christ, Sydney got beaten by 101 points three weeks ago.

We got flogged by a front running side that runs a dynamic tall forward line without our two biggest defenders in Comben and Griff and our best player in Sheez.

And now our whole list build is a shemozzle.

Calm the farm Lads.

Wait til the end of next year before we burn this house right down ;-)!

Last edited:

We got flogged by a front running side that’s runs a dynamic tall forward line without our two biggest defenders in Comben and Griff and our best player in Sheez.

Calm the farm Lads.

This board has less composure than the worst of our players.

We got flogged by a front running side that’s runs a dynamic tall forward line without our two biggest defenders in Comben and Griff and our best player in Sheez.

Calm the farm Lads.

Sydney has runs on the board, we have 5 straight bottom 2 finishes lol

Sydney has runs on the board, we have 5 straight bottom 2 finishes lol

Ha ha all the more reason more us not to be surprised we got pumped at the business end of the season, with a young list, out of petrol tickets against teams fighting to play finals.

Ha ha all the more reason more us not to be surprised we got pumped at the business end of the season, with a young list, out of petrol tickets against teams fighting to play finals.

I can understand the frustration, but the reality is we need time for the kids to come through and push the seat fillers out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s also reasonable to look at the results and look for reasons why we are where we are. To do anything less is fantasy land. Yes, we were missing Comben and Logue. But how good (and how likely to make it on the park together) are they anyway?

We traded in Logue for a pick in the 20’s and he’s since barely played. Comben, well, the guy is seemingly a heartbeat from catastrophic injury.

There has definitely been some progress. But it’s not enough to say we’ve done okay in bits and pieces. Bringing up other clubs losing by X is pointless, you don’t reckon they’re having a very close look at the where’s and why’s of that?

We got flogged by a front running side that runs a dynamic tall forward line without our two biggest defenders in Comben and Griff and our best player in Sheez.

Calm the farm Lads.

I generally agree with the overall sentiment, but today's game further highlighted our need to replace some experienced players.

Across all lines, nobody takes charge and restores order and we give away avalanches of goals.

Calm the farm Lads.

It wasn’t just the game against the Dogs that have the masses concerned. Have you been awake for the last 5 years? You know those 5 years where we have finished bottom 2 in each of those years? Where we had the worst 100 game stretch of a team ever in this competition? Let me say this. Tender Touch > Midas Touch :stern look

It wasn’t just the game against the Dogs that have the masses concerned. Have you been awake for the last 5 years? You know those 5 years where we have finished bottom 2 in each of those years? Where we had the worst 100 game stretch of a team ever in this competition? Let me say this. Tender Touch > Midas Touch :stern look
Nah I love watching our team languish at the bottom of the table and lurch from one disaster to another off field. FFS.

To be clear, since the break there’s enough evidence to show we are on the way back and that the List Management Strategy, continuity in messaging and solidarity in the coaching staff means we are on the right track.

The list is growing together and it will take time, but the crux of our next final’s side is already here.

I’m not throwing the baby out with the bath water over one late season pumping and suggesting monumental changes need to be made.

The monumental changes have been made and I am drinking the Clarko Cordial that we just need this core group to get 50-80 games together and they will be contending for finals.

That’s 2026 after two more pre-seasons as well.

There’s not much choice unfortunately because it’s been a cluster **** of epic proportions since 2016 and the Tarryn Thomas thing is a huge part of it and has just extended the journey by another year.

We have to be patient because internally there is no premiership players capable of leading the way so we need to mould our own - just like we did in the 90s and that took time too.

Pagan took over that list when it had played 50-80 games together let’s not forget.

Calm the farm Lads.

Couldn't agree more with you mate... first post in about 50 I have agreed with... ridiculous reaction. Yes was disappointing, we were smashed by their tall fwds with 2 of our best keys out. Other skills were very average too, fumbly and how many of their first 6 goals were from turnovers. Even Kerch got caught 3 or 4 times holding the ball.... bad game, we move on, we aren't that bad

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m just listening to Tom Morris on SEN, not sure why I still do this to myself still. He is out here telling the football world Petracca is worth 2 to 3 first rounders. He then went on to say Carlton would have to cough up 2 first rounders and McKay if they wanted a seat at the table. How does this absolute ball sack have a job?

I’m just listening to Tom Morris on SEN, not sure why I still do this to myself still. He is out here telling the football world Petracca is worth 2 to 3 first rounders. He then went on to say Carlton would have to cough up 2 first rounders and McKay if they wanted a seat at the table. How does this absolute ball sack have a job?
Guess what the knob barracks for the Go Dee's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back