Game Day 2024 Trade Period - Lian Yu - that liminal space between trade and draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Although I do think Carroll has potential and wouldn't mind him over Narkle (or in addition) ... Prior and Carroll aren't really "way better". All 3 of them are simply middling AFL players at this stage who haven't done much at the highest level. Narkle has at least had the best individual games out of the three (playing midfield for Geelong) and also has the Bolton/Pickett wildcard.
Tbh I think the difference between Jaxon Prior and the other two is massive but I do think he'll go straight onto Essendon's list post National Draft.

Essendon and Brisbane will be list DFAs between the National and Pre Season Drafts, utilising a loophole in the bidding system. Number of picks carried into the draft is limited to available list spots so adding the player after the National Draft pretty much creates a fake list spot. Same with Brisbane delisting two rookie listed players and promising to pick them up again - that also creates two potential senior list spots in theory.

What relation does injuries to talls have to Narkle? Pretty sure he’s not going to replace Alex Pearce or Josh Treacy.

I don’t remember being exposed in the roles within the team that Narkle would play for us and losing games because of it.

Not having a depth player who’s kind of a forward, kind of midfielder but no good at either isn’t why we missed finals. Laughable to suggest otherwise.

That same consideration should be made when naming the sub.
I can’t understand why we have Walters , for example as the sub.

Walters has been one of our better subs

Impact player who comes on and kicks goals

Only once or twice has that occurred. Most times zero impact. Wags was higher impact than Walters.
I am hoping the sub position is scrapped next season but if it isn’t I would rather see Wagner or Banners.
Draper would be ideal also but I think he offers us much more from the bench all game.

I really think Sonny will be battling to get into the side next year.

Tbf Bailey Banfield has probably played that role better than anyone at the club and he's far from an 'impact player'.

The sub did come to mind with me regarding Narkle. He's done it a lot for Port Adelaide.

Worner did a good job of it. As did O'Driscoll, actually he is probably perfect.

Any line breaking mid, who can kick goals is perfect. Ideally, you can put them in the center square a bit as well.

Aish or Narkle should be battling it out for sub.

Walters is too flat footed these days to make any significant impact as a sub.

Noddy should be starting 22. Or at least be aiming to be. Want to see what he can do for 4 qtrs. Not completely sold yet on him, but needs to be given a role from rd one either inside mid or Wing.

Banners papers should be stamped. Same with Worner. Wafl depth next year.

So I’d be going with Aish or Narkle as they have a bit of speed and flexible. Narkle is capable of kicking goals too.

Following up I’m not sure where JOM fits. He may have to battle it out for a fwd spot cause we need to look at having Sharp and Noddy as the wingman. Good thing about JOM is he’s reliable by foot but just lacks speed these days.

I would have him battling Sturt for a medium fwd role. Treacy, Jackson, Amiss the talls. Bolton, Switta and Freddy the smalls. One of JOM or Sturt battling for that spot off the bench. Regardless I think JOM could make his Peel debut next year.

11 OOC puts us near last in the comp in terms of number of players OOC in 2025. You got a lot of teams with 15+, a number we're obviously not gonna get to (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players?year=2025). Our flexibility is pretty safely below average, and this is for a team that already has 2025 additions to the 42-man Senior + Cat A lists penned in or planned for. Around 6 is a prediction we can make with what we know already. It can easily be higher.

The issue is you can make projections for the other 8 OOC for 2025 that can result in 6+ leaving. But those projections are subject to facts we're presuming based on current data.
  • Seemingly everyone's writing off Jack Delean, but he's talented enough. If he comes back substantially stronger, fitter and more locked in, he can easily at least demonstrate WAFL form that makes him worth keeping.
  • Aish and Worner are out of the best 22 right now, but their main competition for a spot in defence is Wagner, Draper as a higher half back, and injuries/players like Chapman potentially being moved up the ground. There's enough permutations in there that involve 1 of them pushing for a spot sufficiently to earn a list spot.
  • Everyone's expecting Fyfe and Walters to retire next year. But what if 2025 plays out in a way where 1 or both want to extend another year? Boak and Gunston are 2 players that I think people would've had pencilled in for 2024 retirements last year. That pencil got erased.
  • Assuming Knobel is re-signed, you'd think by 2025 we finally choose btwn him and Reidy. But that's a somewhat false "spare" list spot. We'll probably want to replace them with another developing ruck, so that's likely 1 delisting but then 1 "extra" draftee.
Right now, Freo are gonna permanently delist at least 1 of Odin Jones, Tom Emmett or Max Knobel. All 3 would be harsh calls for various reasons. And this is in a season where we've already had 6 departures, only had 1 arrival via trade, and look like we'll only take the bare minimum of 3 draftees. If I said it like that, you'd think it's insane that there's been a list spot squeeze. But all it takes is a couple circumstances to change (0 players traded away, interest in an SSP type, unexpected re-signings like Liam Reidy).

Fyfe and Walters are cooked.
If they didn’t have contracts for this year I would’ve moved them both out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most times as starting Sub*:

10 Erasmus
6 Banfield, Walters
5 Johnson

*This is in the current era of the sub - not including the 2011-2015 period where some other players top the list. (Sutcliffe, Sherridan, Crozier, Suban, Neale)

Last edited:
There’s 10 or so players in our B30 that were taken with picks late enough that it’s fair to say you are missing out on an important roll of the dice by giving list cloggers like Narkle a spot

Dumb if you ask me but then again I’ve always liked a punt

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm actually astonished how many nuffies on the eagles board lap up his dribble. Not sure if he's the ultimate troll, or just an absolute w@nker who gets off from this stuff
It’s wild isn’t it ?!

Absolute piss take 😆

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period - Lian Yu - that liminal space between trade and draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back