Game Day 2024 Trade Period - Lian Yu - that liminal space between trade and draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Better off dumping him than making him a lifetime FA otherwise we are just building him up for a competitor Lord Meek style

Bring in an 18yr old to play Peel ressies

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Man, of all the people you should be jumping at shadows...

Jl kept the playing group together. Big tick.

Not sure losing a zero game, late pick in a position he is 4th in line for requires a full meltdown but you do you.
That's a pretty good reality check. It is difficult to see a pathway for Knobel into our best 23.

I do have concerns around Darcy and think we need more than a ready to go stop-gap replacement in case of injury. Reidy shapes as that player but we were reluctant to use him last season.

Knobel is a different fish He projects more as a genuine replacement if Darcy ends up being unable to overcome his fitness issues. He is a potential replacement rather than a stop gap.

The ideal scenario was Reidy on the rookie list, Knobel on the main list I reckon.

If I were, say, Melbourne I'd grab Knobel in the rookie draft for sure. (Or even a late draft pick.) But I doubt it happens. We can look at the situation in all its nuance and say "Well, Reidy is a really solid ruck and Knobel is still developing physically" but on paper it is a 20 year old who is splitting time between State League and State League reserves.

Knobel is going on to the RL. Calm down.
He is very likely to make it to the rookie list. It is very rare that another club steps in. Has happened but very rare. Also as we speak we have 1 selection in RD (Pick 9 - possibly earlier if some clubs pass, as expected).

Finally and prob the case given the quote from Joe Brierty yesterday about “unfortunately for Max, we needed a player to make way to have 3 selections in the ND”, makes me think someone like Worner or Sharp have been upgraded as part of previous contract agreement.

Now, as I reflect on the process and that comment I believe it is more likely that Knobel is effectively making way for either a ND selection in the 50’s or a promoted rookie like Worner or Sharp (whichever way you like to think about it).

I guess we will find out next Friday when the DFA commences.

I don’t know what assurances etc have been made but Freo have been linked to Carroll and Narkle. WCE are also interested in Carroll. Either way get some players across to train (incl. Narkle and Carroll if not signed as DFA) and then select the best fit for our club via SSP. This worked well with regards to Voss.

He is very likely to make it to the rookie list. It is very rare that another club steps in. Has happened but very rare. Also as we speak we have 1 selection in RD (Pick 9 - possibly earlier if some clubs pass, as expected).

Finally and prob the case given the quote from Joe Brierty yesterday about “unfortunately for Max, we needed a player to make way to have 3 selections in the ND”, makes me think someone like Worner or Sharp have been upgraded as part of previous contract agreement.

Now, as I reflect on the process and that comment I believe it is more likely that Knobel is effectively making way for either a ND selection in the 50’s or a promoted rookie like Worner or Sharp (whichever way you like to think about it).

I don’t know what assurances etc have been made but Freo have been linked to Carroll and Narkle. WCE are also interested in Carroll. Either way get some players across to train (incl. Narkle and Carroll if not signed as DFA) and then select the best fit for our club via SSP. This worked well with regards to Voss.

It didn’t sound like the club was going to ask Narkle to train with us - Sounded very much like a sign on day one of the SSP type deal. We might be interested in J.Carroll but if my read on Narkle is correct I don’t think we have the list spot for train ons.

3 National draftees, Knobel and Narkle = list full.

Agree with this. We're not interested in Carroll. Narkle is an SPP.

It didn’t sound like the club was going to ask Narkle to train with us - Sounded very much like a sign on day one of the SSP type deal. We might be interested in J.Carroll but if my read on Narkle is correct I don’t think we have the list spot for train ons.

3 National draftees, Knobel and Narkle = list full.
Possibly Kelm as a Cat B

Reidy’s ceiling is a top notch back up Knobels floor is a top notch back up IMO

oh. that sounds more calm. Shitting bricks over a 4th in line back up ruckman was a bit overboard. Glad you have calmed down. Freo spemd more on rucks than any other team. If it's one thing we shouldn't worry about..it's rucks.

oh. that sounds more calm. Shitting bricks over a 4th in line back up ruckman was a bit overboard. Glad you have calmed down. Freo spemd more on rucks than any other team. If it's one thing we shouldn't worry about..it's rucks.

I worry about everything and us doing dumb Freo shit and ****ing up our best chance in ages is what I worry about the MOST

Last edited:
I worry about everything

200.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind delisting Emmett but dropping him and recruiting Narkle/Bolton isn't going to increase our forward pressure. (No not for a second am I suggesting Emmett should be in the conversation for Bolton's spot).

It's making me worry about JLs coaching even more tbh we seem to be doubling down on the low pressure game plan from a list management perspective.

He's probably the best forward pressure we have outside the best 23.

It’s an old fashion notion but I’m in the camp that says best forward pressure is goals scored.
I hated watching chopper catch a bloke a split second after he disposed of the ball. Great forward pressure ?
Pigs arse, is it.

I’m pretty sure it has happened before? Can’t remember who though
Todd Banfield iirc
Was gonna be relisted by Lions but poached

Nick Stevens got poached in the PSD by Blues

Hugh Greenwood was similar but not quite, he agreed to be a DFA at North after GC delisted to relist

It generally doesn't happen unless Knobel agrees to it

My point exactly. I’m replying in the context that Emmett was unlucky to be cut because he applies forward pressure. Hoping that Bolton can apply more forward pressure is crazy . Just give us the goals.

Yeah was thinking the same. You don’t need to worry as much about forward pressure if you’re banging them through & sending it back to the middle.

You need it if you’re running with the Lyon game of kicking it on the forwards heads. Not so much if Treacy, Sturt, Amiss are taking marks on the lead, Fred is kicking them on the run from 50 & Shai is doing Shai things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period - Lian Yu - that liminal space between trade and draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back