List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion should be valued no less or no more than anyone else on this forum.

I'm just putting my point forward with facts to back them up and I found your tone pretty average... so I reacted.

We all want the same thing and that's a successful St Kilda.
so if you want it so bad, why are you measuring up the future with things that happened a decade ago?

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have some good intel that we are elbow deep into key defender Harry Edwards on an insurance basis. Gives us some relief ruck for 5 minutes a qtr which is much needed too.
If we don't go for any of the Crows lads he definitely makes sense if Battle leaves. Really good size and good overhead. Just not sure how much the Eagles would ask for, an early third rounder is the most I'd pay for him

so if you want it so bad, why are you measuring up the future with things that happened a decade ago?

The similarities surrounding Battle are McEvoys "trade" to another club are extremely similar.

McEvoy played 91 games for us. Battle has played 118 games for us.

Both are success stories of our development program.

Both are/were considered future leaders of their club.

Both are/were rated highly by their club.

Both are/were not plagued by injuries.

Both are/were rated highly by their supporters, other clubs and AFL experts.

Both played in positions where the club thought they could cover their loss.

Both were seemingly offered overs for trade at that point in time.

There are too many good things about Josh and what he brings to our great club to let him go.

The similarities surrounding Battle are McEvoys "trade" to another club are extremely similar.

There are too many good things about Josh and what he brings to our great club to let him go.
This evaluation leaves out the most important part of the argument - the salary. If we keep Battle, we need to overpay by about 150k/year, was that the case for McEvoy?

This evaluation leaves out the most important part of the argument - the salary. If we keep Battle, we need to overpay by about 150k/year, was that the case for McEvoy?

What other clubs are willing to pay him is what he is worth.

It's called supply and demand, its part of every market and the AFL player trade market is no different.

With McGovern nearing the end and speculation Barrass is listening to offers you'd think the Eagles would be keen to keep him. He's from there too ain't he? Wonder what the go is there.

How much would Jake Lever cost? He's probably got 6 to 7 years of his best footy ahead of him. We paid Hanners about a million per game. You can get creative with your contracting and pay the bulk up front or work it how ever you like. Guys like Owens are probably on $500k to $600k a year. On actual output he's cheap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What other clubs are willing to pay him is what he is worth.

It's called supply and demand, its part of every market and the AFL player trade market is no different.

How many good intercept defenders are out there and to get one what would it cost? Battle has a lower profile but high output.

I reckon we'll see how much we take him for granted once he's gone. Wilkie and Battle are top 20 defenders and in the top 10 of some stats. They are a couple of our only set and forget high level players. To me the kind of hubris that got us where we are now is on display again.

It takes big balls to move on popular players while going backwards on the ladder and playing unattractive footy. Gambles have rarely been our friend.

With McGovern nearing the end and speculation Barrass is listening to offers you'd think the Eagles would be keen to keep him. He's from there too ain't he? Wonder what the go is there.

He's a fringe player in a bottom 2 side. I think he's probably not a major piece of their future planning. He looks pretty much the type you could replace with a state league player. I guess he's the type that offers a one on one tall which seems to be what Lyon wants instead of Battle and Howard.

I’d say he does have a great attacking game and intercepts would be right up there.

Agree, definitely a strength for Battle, but is it elite to command a whopping contract offer of over 900k? I’d say no, make of this what you will:

- Averages 6.3 intercept possessions and 2.5 intercept marks a game this year which is ranked as average across the AFL.

- Averages 3.6 GBGs a game ranked as above average interestingly, so ability to win a contested ball in the back could be argued as a strength.

- Averages 12.1 uncontested possessions and 7.4 marks a game which is elite, so you could argue Battle’s strength probably more around getting distributed the ball in the back half then using it well (e.g., a Luke Ryan), noting he averages 0.9 contested marks a game which is ranked above average.

- Contested defensive loss rate and defensive half pressure acts both average, so clearly ability to play KPD and/or mitigate KPFs isn’t exactly going to command top $ either.

I have some good intel that we are elbow deep into key defender Harry Edwards on an insurance basis. Gives us some relief ruck for 5 minutes a qtr which is much needed too.

He played ok in defence yesterday took a couple of good marks, 17 disposals and 9 marks. I dont now what his contract situation is but he would be a good 'money ball' pick up.

have a solid feeling that battle will be found out at hawks. he will be their new number one key defender there.

maybe thats what the pull for Battle is, yes he is best 22 at saints, but he is behind wilkie and dougal as top dogs.

Well put.

How many good intercept defenders are out there and to get one what would it cost? Battle has a lower profile but high output.

I reckon we'll see how much we take him for granted once he's gone. Wilkie and Battle are top 20 defenders and in the top 10 of some stats. They are a couple of our only set and forget high level players. To me the kind of hubris that got us where we are now is on display again.

It takes big balls to move on popular players while going backwards on the ladder and playing unattractive footy. Gambles have rarely been our friend.
Battle whilst good, is not even our best defender.. Wilkie is by far.. If we pay Battle $1M, does that mean Wilkie needs be paid $1.4M? Because Wilkie actually plays on key forwards, battle is a third tall back most of the time.

Agree, definitely a strength for Battle, but is it elite to command a whopping contract offer of over 900k? I’d say no, make of this what you will:

- Averages 6.3 intercept possessions and 2.5 intercept marks a game this year which is ranked as average across the AFL.

- Averages 3.6 GBGs a game ranked as above average interestingly, so ability to win a contested ball in the back could be argued as a strength.

- Averages 12.1 uncontested possessions and 7.4 marks a game which is elite, so you could argue Battle’s strength probably more around getting distributed the ball in the back half then using it well (e.g., a Luke Ryan), noting he averages 0.9 contested marks a game which is ranked above average.

- Contested defensive loss rate and defensive half pressure acts both average, so clearly ability to play KPD and/or mitigate KPFs isn’t exactly going to command top $ either.

He's an intercept defender though. He's not there to purely mind a player. You could argue that all three of our tall defenders are similar in that they are all suited to a more intercept style game over a one on one role. Wilkie excels at both so covers a lot of the short fall. The only issue is that Wilkie and Howard are both getting close to 30 so won't be there in our next challenge and Battle is a few years behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back