List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, we’re just going to have to put a bit more faith in our recruitment and development if the ships going to be turned around. Sort of can’t realise any real success otherwise sadly.

The club has pick 4 coming to them, if they are good at their job then they will nail this one.

Giving them another roll of the dice for a 300 game player like Battle seems like they don't trust themselves to get it right.

The club has pick 4 coming to them, if they are good at their job then they will nail this one.

Giving them another roll of the dice for a 300 game player like Battle seems like they don't trust themselves to get it right.
battle is a 300 game player is he? hasnt played 300??

whats to say that the player we get wit his pick doesnt become a multiple time AA and multiple premiership player?

funny how it looks on the other foot isnt it...

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lobb just played a cracking game in the GMHBA mud as a key defender.

He’s been good as a defender this year. He might not be going anywhere at this rate.

Unfortunately, we’re just going to have to put a bit more faith in our recruitment and development if the ships going to be turned around. Sort of can’t realise any real success otherwise sadly.

Dalrymple has blown a few high picks at Sydney but found a couple of guns late. He needs to make sure that he gets these right. If we are rolling the dice we can’t afford to be making mistakes

Literally my dream

Honestly would rather GC come with a godfather for him. One of their guns that wants to go home and a couple of FRDPs or something. The way we structure up doesn’t suit him. I get the feeling the club wants to keep him as a marketing exercise more than the coaching staff want him.

Stavro I still cant get my head around the suggestion that we might trade out Howard as well as losing Battle as a free agent? How do we replace that experience/quality let alone improve on it?

Since returning from injury Howard has been really good and is holding his marks, he looks a different player even with the ball in hand. I hope the club are just using his contract status to get the best out of him and show him that he can offer more than he has in the past.

I read that Port are showing interest in Riley Garcia at the Bulldogs who is out of contract, he is one of the possible 'money ball' midfielders I hope our club are also looking at.

Last edited:
Im Stavro I still cant get my head around the suggestion that we might trade out Howard as well as losing Battle as a free agent? How do we replace that experience/quality let alone improve on it?

Since returning from injury Howard has been really good and is holding his marks, he looks a different player even with the ball in hand. I hope the club are just using his contract status to get the best out of him and show him that he can offer more than he has in the past.

I read that Port are showing interest in Riley Garcia at the Bulldogs who is out of contract, he is one of the possible 'money ball' midfielders I hope our club are also looking at.
We arnt trading out Howard. He will resign on a reduced contract.

People like yourself really truly do miss the point.

1 solitary top 5 pick probably doesn’t alter the future Unless we get blessed from above and select the next Rooey BJ Lenny Dal type of quality.

2 top 5 picks provides the platform and opportunity to change the next decades potential for this club.

It also creates an abundance of opportunity during the trade period with our future picks.

And for what it’s worth. Even if Battle managed 300 games for us.

I’d rate Dal Santos 260 games, Max Hudghtons 234 games, Aussie Jones 226 games and BJ Goddards 205 stkilda games higher.

There was some absolute elite years of service amongst that lot that Battle won’t get to (no offence to him).

Those picks might see some of those highs.

Im Stavro I still cant get my head around the suggestion that we might trade out Howard as well as losing Battle as a free agent? How do we replace that experience/quality let alone improve on it?

You’re not me.

So if you’re asking me a question. I don’t know what they want to achieve with this Howard stuff other than I can only assume they think they can get the same output for cheaper.

You’re not me.

So if you’re asking me a question. I don’t know what they want to achieve with this Howard stuff other than I can only assume they think they can get the same output for cheaper.

Yeah sorry I corrected after you replied.

Thanks for the honesty. I just cant see how our list can afford to lose both players without ready made replacements...:worried: Butts might be cheaper $$$ wise but to me he appears as restricted a full back as Howard.

Very well said.

I look at the joy Josh had on his face last night and just can't believe he would want to walk out on a group that he's been a major part of helping to improve.

Ok so the Hawks have the G to play at but he'll have to go into a new backline on massive coin. If he starts off slowly finding his place in their backline watch the knives come out quickly from their supporters. He's well loved and respected by Saints supporters for playing exceedingly well week in and out. If he goes there must be something that he's chasing given we are all but in the ballpark of the contract money and length.

The Hawks are up and about this year but they are on the same watch for the next few seasons as per all the teams between 4 and 13 on the ladder.

I hope desperately that he stays but if he does go hopefully we make the most of it 🤞
Never nice to lose a homegrown player like Josh. But at least the compo pick (which should be top 10) will make it a little more palatable if he goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah sorry I corrected after you replied.

Thanks for the honesty. I just cant see how our list can afford to lose both players without ready made replacements...:worried: Butts might be cheaper $$$ wise but to me he appears as restricted a full back as Howard.
But that would be the point.

Same output. Less salary. Higher draft collateral for Howard.

That’s actually great list management.

If we are constantly stuck in this mindset we can’t let players go, in a side that is at best 6th and at worst 15th in this comp. We will never ever achieve the ultimate success.

Look at the quality of players Hawthorn moved on the last few years.

People like yourself really truly do miss the point.

1 solitary top 5 pick probably doesn’t alter the future Unless we get blessed from above and select the next Rooey BJ Lenny Dal type of quality.

2 top 5 picks provides the platform and opportunity to change the next decades potential for this club.

It also creates an abundance of opportunity during the trade period with our future picks.

And for what it’s worth. Even if Battle managed 300 games for us.

I’d rate Dal Santos 260 games, Max Hudghtons 234 games, Aussie Jones 226 games and BJ Goddards 205 stkilda games higher.

There was some absolute elite years of service amongst that lot that Battle won’t get to (no offence to him).

Those picks might see some of those highs.

People like me have supported the club for their entire lifes and have had a family member who has played for the club under Allan Jeans.

People like me have supported the club for their entire lifes and have had a family member who has played for the club under Allan Jeans.
I think everyone in here has supported the club for life.

Not sure what playing for the club has to do with understanding what is needed for the future.

You are choosing a games played rhetoric to argue why a player should be kept.

I gave you a handful that would have played less and had greater impacts/better players.

We need more gun youth to lift our ceiling to match those of clubs “contending”. We have missed all the free agents.

There is really only one way forward or treading water and hoping for the best.

But that would be the point.

Same output. Less salary. Higher draft collateral for Howard.

That’s actually great list management.

If we are constantly stuck in this mindset we can’t let players go, in a side that is at best 6th and at worst 15th in this comp. We will never ever achieve the ultimate success.

Look at the quality of players Hawthorn moved on the last few years.

I have no problems releasing players if we there is an obvious improvement available. Isn't Butts contracted, I can understand the less $$$ but how do we expect to get him across for less draft capital - it doesnt make sense? Howard will be 29 yo at the start of next season so at the most he plays another 5 or 6 years. What club is going to give up a ridiculous trade amount for a player that age?

I just found this "Adelaide key defender Jordon Butts has recommitted to the Crows by signing a three-year contract extension to the end of 2026. Butts made his AFL debut in 2020 and has since become a mainstay in defence as he approaches his 50th game next month."

I have no problems releasing players if we there is an obvious improvement available. Isn't Butts contracted, I can understand the less $$$ but how do we expect to get him across for less draft capital - it doesnt make sense? Howard will be 29 yo at the start of next season so at the most he plays another 5 or 6 years. What club is going to give up a ridiculous trade amount for a player that age?
I never said anything about ridiculous trade amount.

I’ve just said they might assume they can spend less salary on a player that provides that same output and probably get better trade/draft assets in the wash

I never said anything about ridiculous trade amount.

I’ve just said they might assume they can spend less salary on a player that provides that same output and probably get better trade/draft assets in the wash

Any idea which club/s are interested in Howard?

Josh Battle very rarely plays on the best forward. Wilkie & Dougal share that responsibility.
Battle also doesn’t have an elite intercept or offensive game.

It would be poor list management to pay him more than $900k per year.

Very well said.

I look at the joy Josh had on his face last night and just can't believe he would want to walk out on a group that he's been a major part of helping to improve.

Ok so the Hawks have the G to play at but he'll have to go into a new backline on massive coin. If he starts off slowly finding his place in their backline watch the knives come out quickly from their supporters. He's well loved and respected by Saints supporters for playing exceedingly well week in and out. If he goes there must be something that he's chasing given we are all but in the ballpark of the contract money and length.

The Hawks are up and about this year but they are on the same watch for the next few seasons as per all the teams between 4 and 13 on the ladder.

I hope desperately that he stays but if he does go hopefully we make the most of it 🤞

The Hawks are so good to watch and play with such enthusiasm and energy. I’d want to play there too.

I think everyone in here has supported the club for life.

Not sure what playing for the club has to do with understanding what is needed for the future.

You are choosing a games played rhetoric to argue why a player should be kept.

I gave you a handful that would have played less and had greater impacts/better players.

We need more gun youth to lift our ceiling to match those of clubs “contending”. We have missed all the free agents.

There is really only one way forward or treading water and hoping for the best.

My opinion should be valued no less or no more than anyone else on this forum.

I'm just putting my point forward with facts to back them up and I found your tone pretty average... so I reacted.

We all want the same thing and that's a successful St Kilda.

Josh Battle very rarely plays on the best forward. Wilkie & Dougal share that responsibility.
Battle also doesn’t have an elite intercept or offensive game.

It would be poor list management to pay him more than $900k per year.
I’d say he does have a great attacking game and intercepts would be right up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back