List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I say the same thing every year but there needs to be a focus on bringing in guys who use the ball well.... players that can actually consistently hit targets and make good decisions. Handing the ball back to the opposition through poor skills has been killing us for years.

This is where you need to watch matches and not testing. People love Lalor but his disposal scares the shit out of me. Looks sloppy and misdirected. Players have to go fetch his kicks. Reid and Langford types make the ball go into the areas for players to run onto it. They have innate game sense IMO. Jagga and Draper are quite good too. Jagga a technically less impressive player but makes up for it in endeavour.

If North come sniffing around for Hunter Clark again,would anyone be happy to let him go this time? what would it take? One of their handout picks from the AFL? I’d do it for that and nothing less. Then maybe you’ve got enough assets to get the Suns first rounder.

Imagine getting 3 of

Smith
Lalor
Draper
Langford
O Sullivan
Smillie
Clark would have next to no significant value

If we don't take best available at any pick we deserve to be shit forever. We have heaps of mids and will be very unlikely to have as many injuries in that one area of the ground again.

Don't be surprised if we take Trainor and replace Battle with another Battle if he's the best available. Or Travaglia as a longer term replacement for Sinclair who probably has 3 or 4 years left etc.

The only caveat is that you also need to break down types of mids. Inside extractors, outside runners etc. Make sure you have a heap of depth and developing kids ready in all areas.

If we use pick 5 and 6 on Trainor and Travaglia we are asking to remain irrelevant for the next 10 years

Sounds like a nonsense rumour. Hes extended his deal early each time since being drafted so there wouldnt really have been a time when he a chance to be traded for us to reject him.

Ask around.
cU26Imv.gif

Players up for contracts (age) (AFL matches played):

39 Hotton 19y 0m
17 Keeler 20y 0m
31 van Es 20y 0m
41 McLennan 20y 2m
42 Heath 21y 0m
30 Allison 22y 0m
13 Byrnes 23y 61m
43 Sharman 24y 47m
33 Paton 25y 71m
16 Butler 28y 143m
18 Hayes 28y 8m
20 Howard 28y 133m
3 Jones 29y 147m

Free Agents

14 Stocker 24y 65m
26 Battle 25y 121m
36 Bonner 27y 112m
28 Membrey 30y 177m
29 Webster 30y 163m
32 Wood 30y 133m
6 Ross 31y 211m
38 Campbell 32 58m

I am not privy to any contract negotiations but my thoughts on these players contracts are that our greatest chance of success involves building a team around our youth through the draft and that may mean sacrificing some of our older players to bring more youth in. To this end I would want to retain free agents Stocker and Battle and see if there is any interest in any other free agent. I understand that we don't get to make the decisions in a lot of these cases and we seem likely to lose Battle and retain some of the older contingent. I also think that we should hang onto Campbell as a ruck mentor as much as anything else.

Similarly I would want to re-sign most of those players 25y or younger who are up for contract maybe with the exception of Allison. That would leave Allison, Butler, Hayes, Howard and Jones and the free agents available to see what interest they might bring from other clubs.

One could argue that most of the players who are yet to play a senior game probably wont make it, but a lot of those players are talls and some have had issues that have prevented their ascention to the AFL so far, (including the stability of our defensive squad).

A minimum of 3 players must go every year and some hard decisions need to be made. Those players older than 25 who are re-signed should be on rolling one year contracts.

The Tasmanian draft concessions are coming and we need to grab as many kids as we can get our hands on before the drafts are compromised and the talent pool diluted even further.

This is where you need to watch matches and not testing. People love Lalor but his disposal scares the shit out of me. Looks sloppy and misdirected. Players have to go fetch his kicks. Reid and Langford types make the ball go into the areas for players to run onto it. They have innate game sense IMO. Jagga and Draper are quite good too. Jagga a technically less impressive player but makes up for it in endeavour.
You are definitely going to die on Mt. Lalor Shite Disposal aren't you

It's not the worst hill to die on. His disposal is objectively poor, especially when you see some of his peers. Doesn't mean he can't be dangerfield or fyfe, there are a lot of attributes to like.
None of the draft profiles I have read or the footage I have seen puts him down in the shite disposal category .... complete myth

He is no Tsatas

None of the draft profiles I have read or the footage I have seen puts him down in the shite disposal category .... complete myth

He is no Tsatas
We've had a few elite kicks come our way who simply couldn't football.

Time for the alpha dog (get great kicks with the other picks)

We need to be careful if thats the case.

Cant treat our starting full back as an after thought and then expect him to just sit there waiting if the Battle decision doesnt go our way. He's be well within his rights to go find a club who would value a key back and then we will be left with the embarassesment of turning a top 4 defence into one of the worst in one offseason.
I not sure there were many clubs interested in Dougs last year. I can’t imagine that’s changed too much in twelve months. Don’t get me wrong, I want him to stay, I just think he’s aware of where he sits in the pecking order and his happy to wait.

‘Unable to kick decent scores’ ? We’ve had a few over 100!
I’d rather keep Membrey, because I like him and we won’t getting anything too substantial via a trade. Can’t believe he’s only 30 been around for ages.
Peatling would be a very good addition for next year.

Lazy journalism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we use pick 5 and 6 on Trainor and Travaglia we are asking to remain irrelevant for the next 10 years

Not saying they will but I can see us targeting a non mid easily. It’s an even draft and a few clubs might throw a few curve balls. Trainor is well within the range. Travaglia is probably too much of a stretch unless we downgrade the pick.

Anyway, Battle might not be gone yet and a lot depends on who is still left at our picks.

Not saying they will but I can see us targeting a non mid easily. It’s an even draft and a few clubs might throw a few curve balls. Trainor is well within the range. Travaglia is probably too much of a stretch unless we downgrade the pick.

Anyway, Battle might not be gone yet and a lot depends on who is still left at our picks.
Interesting to hear Trainor can go forward too. Could end up like Naughton.

If we had two picks and he's available we probably take him.

Everyone clearly knows that.

But looking at that timeline of this contract extensions, do you really think this random rumour that he and his daddy came to St Kilda begging for a trade then went off crying because we said we couldn't do it is believable?
Not random or a rumour but you seem to be of the opinion that because we werent willing to entertain a trade he couldnt have re-signed with his incumbent club...

Seems to indicate a complete lack of understanding about how trades and contracts work.

Anyway, same old shit, im out x

You are definitely going to die on Mt. Lalor Shite Disposal aren't you

Yep. Stand by not rating it. Doesn’t mean he won’t be a star, Danger is an average kick. Fyfe kicked like he was drunk. I would prefer to take a good ball user if all other things are equal still.

Interesting to hear Trainor can go forward too. Could end up like Naughton.

If we had two picks and he's available we probably take him.

His grandfather was one of the great forwards.

I really rated McKercher at the draft. I think he'll end up an absolute gun. Reid is starting to show some really bad habits and a definite downside. McKercher will be lower profile but think he looks a Brownlow type of even top level performer.

A lot is where you land early.

Reid at the Cats or Pies that gets kissed; minimal bad habits, gets support 24/7 from all ancillary elements to get bells and whistles.
This is why a side like North with younger people will have a hard go at it compared to say the Hawks, as only one of these can go 'I make deals and losta money" and it's not North. So despite them having arguably better youth, they'll have to work that much harder to get the best out of them compared to a side like the Hawks.

This is also part of why finals are played by roughly the same club brackets for extended time periods since the AFL was true national, as if you can bankroll it, you can min max so hard that actual talent is largely irrelevant.

We're closer to North than we are to that world, so when you then consider we don't win much of anything historically, we just need to work harder to sustain any sort of success where talent is largely irrelevant when it boils down to flags. You just need the right people at the right place at the right time doing the right things...

So Garry Lyon was correct , Oliver's hand is stuffed , off for an operation

Not just him stating it, but yeah, clubs be; there's a reason OG Lyon made a bubble, mostly it was to focus on the controllables and STFU to people as loose lips sink ships. Hey presto, started playing for grand finals since people aren't stupid they just do stupid things.

The Dee's, they don't half arse it, when they bleed everyone needs to see it so they care, because they have to care, it's Melbourne, core named VFL/VAFA/History footy club. So they leak like the titanic.

I know they’re supposed to look good at this level but if this isn’t the player we’ve been crying out for the last 10 years I don’t what is.
He’s why we can’t finish above Adelaide.
Even if we get a pick earlier than the Crows you know they'll do an irresistible pick swap à la GWS last year and get Draper anyway. Farewell, sweet prince.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back