List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

its a full KFC secret herbs and spices isnt it....
Its deliberately vague and ambigious.

Hence most smart commentary that no one has any ****ing idea what it will be. Also kidding yourself if you think the afl has any accountability for it.

Thank you Sir. Well said.

Battle was a paid professional plying his trade. He did what he was paid to do. His decision to leave is him simply looking after himself. That’s fair enough.

But he doesn’t give two hoots about the club like we do. His vacuous statement about going to a club that suits his family is proof of that. In fact as a supporter that loves my club I really didn’t like reading that.

The reality is before Lyon became coach Battle was a very ordinary footballer. Not elite at anything and slow over the ground. Clumsy below his knees and something of a liability in general play. Very much a fringe player.

Lyon found a role that suited him. Exploited his strengths and surrounded him with players who covered his weaknesses. Good luck to him. He has carved a niche for himself that he is very good at. But Battle owes much of his new found success to Ross Lyon.

Battle will be replaced because Lyon and Enright are great at developing defensive talent. It won’t be Schoenmaker who I see as an attacking flanker/winger, but someone else will be quickly found.

We will be fine. But let’s call a spade a spade. Josh Battle leaves no legacy at St Kilda other than as a player who made a great contribution for a short period and left us at his prime.
Great post.

I wouldn't gloss over Callum Wilkie's impact on the emergence of Battle, and our entire defensive unit for that matter, as well. I think the Hawks would be hoping that Barrass can do the same, but it takes time to find synergy in a team sport. Will be an interesting watch.

Battle has elite endurance and elite disposal (along with other attributes) and is 25.

Ross (and enright) will be crying into their cornflakes over losing a guy like that- no question.

Our entire gameplan depends on elite endurance and disposal from the backline.
He's not irreplaceable- but he is exactly the kind of guy we want/need in order to execute our game plan.

Him leaving is a big hit to our backline- we need to hope that a guy like tomlinson or whoever can duplicate battle (in terms of disposal, endurance and accountability 1v1).

If his replacement doesn't do that- our whole team performance will suffer far more than losing say a wing or fwd

Battle has elite endurance and elite disposal (along with other attributes) and is 25.

Ross (and enright) will be crying into their cornflakes over losing a guy like that- no question.

Our entire gameplan depends on elite endurance and disposal from the backline.
He's not irreplaceable- but he is exactly the kind of guy we want/need in order to execute our game plan.

Him leaving is a big hit to our backline- we need to hope that a guy like tomlinson or whoever can duplicate battle (in terms of disposal, endurance and accountability 1v1).

If his replacement doesn't do that- our whole team performance will suffer far more than losing say a wing or fwd
The only thing i have any hope about is that our defensive unit and system is pretty solid.

Arie makes the most sense long term as a replacement. Battle and Wilkie had great chemistry to play as 2nd and 3rd defenders and zone off. Tomlinson makes sense as a stop gap if Arie needs some time to develop but youre right no two ways about it, Battle going hurts.

Nah I hope I'm right.

Battle will be rated as 10 extra points based on his age and the maximum extra points based on length of contract. (Lets say one point for 3 years, 3 points for 4 and 5 points for 5 years)

So gives him 15 extra points. Thats a much better outcome for us than a slightly front ended contract.

This is the article that explains the compo rules the best and it says then even 2 extra points could move a player 10 spots up the ranking ladder.

Also the change to how the length of contract affects compo has been

And remember that since this article how the length of contract affects compo has been changed in our favour.
But the age and contract length would have been captured anyway (at least under the new rules).

Housten staying at port

Kind of relieved. Not that he's wouldn't be handy, but a player in that age profile is not where I want us to invest right now.

The funny thing is he said we don't deserve a first round compo then proceeds to say on Hawthorn's sliding door that the hawks have picked up a gun defender in Battle.
Cornes said that Hawthorn should now be premiership favourites for 2025 because they have Battle and Barrass. But then next sentence that Battle is a significantly lesser player than Houston. Baffles the mind

Barrett really is a piece of work.

We don’t deserve first round compensation for losing a 25 year old intercepting defender, who we developed, at the peak of his powers, to a club challenging in finals?

Despite the fact we don’t get the benefits of the Northern Academies, don’t ever benefit from Father and Sons, had a terrible fixture this year, and have not received any charity that a club like North has received, despite having a 60 year Premiership drought.

The AFL spin machine is just putrid. Representative of the rancid integrity of that organisation.

How ignorant is that guy, what a bitter and twisted tool. Something has happened between him and the club over time and he carries a grudge like no other, absolutely poisonous.

How ignorant is that guy, what a bitter and twisted tool. Something has happened between him and the club over time and he carries a grudge like not other, absolutely poisonous.

He's been barred is what happened, Purple burns bridges and shoots from hip when so as vindictive POS.

just because we've been linked

What a back flip, Id suggest he couldnt get to the club he wanted so he has been advised to remain at Port for the time being. They will probably organise his exit next year, it wont look great when he asks for a release again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy!!
North Melbourne have been given handouts over the years…Christ almighty 🙈
He is actually cooked in the head.
Self-inflicted by destroying their own list!
What a moron.

So 2 years ago , Battle signed a 2 year contract.
Who was it wanted to limit it to 2 years? ( He got the same contract length as Allison ).

This piece said....
Battle was touted as a possible trade target by rival clubs last year and has attracted interest again in 2022, but his new deal will take him through to free agency.

The 193cm, 92kg backman is rated elite among key defenders for disposals, kicks, marks and metres gained across the first 20 rounds.

Nah I hope I'm right.

Battle will be rated as 10 extra points based on his age and the maximum extra points based on length of contract. (Lets say one point for 3 years, 3 points for 4 and 5 points for 5 years)

So gives him 15 extra points. Thats a much better outcome for us than a slightly front ended contract.

This is the article that explains the compo rules the best and it says then even 2 extra points could move a player 10 spots up the ranking ladder.

And remember that since this article how the length of contract affects compo has been changed in our favour.
There is also a loop hole that is known in the industry.

A front loaded contract in 2025 - could place Battle in the top 5% of the league for that season.

Which would add additional points to the above and trigger band 1.

Different to his average salary across the deal trigger.

Nah I hope I'm right.

They "should" take loading into account. A dollar today is worth less than it was 7 years ago, but the math is probably too advanced for former AFL players.

This guy!!
North Melbourne have been given handouts over the years…Christ almighty 🙈
He is actually cooked in the head.

Purple is full of crap.

There might be some grey area's in free agency compensation but "Deserving" isn't part of the equation.
He plays on all the bullshit conspiracy theory's because it sells news.
If it does happen that we get Tier 1 , the media will be ready to roll out the outrage.

People think McKay was rigged.
He was on similar money to what's being reported for Battle. ( a year earlier ).
Age.. as per Battle , Minimum.
Contract length. 6 years.

I agree they didn't "deserve" it , but hell the Sultan of Brunai doesn't deserve his lifestyle either.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back