List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a Jones knocker. Happy for him that he's back in the team, but I just think he has some of the worst body language I have ever seen. Anytime someone doesn't give him the ball when he thinks he should get it, he throws a mini tantrum.

Might be a slightly above average player but his attitude and leadership for the younger guys is the reason we should just cut him if we can't find a trade.
A bit like Max eh?

It blows my mind how ill informed and illogical some of the journalists/media types are. They struggle to understand basic facts or use common sense when it comes to contract situations or potential trades.

Case in point the discussion in the media last year about st kilda chasing Shiel and how the deal would look. I.e The Saints giving our Gresham compo to Ess for Shiel.

And then in the aftermath to report it as St Kilda missing out on Shiel
I may be wrong here, but didn't Shiel's management come to us, asking us to take him on?
The media would never admit to that sort of event though. It goes against the St.Kilda is desperate narrative. Shiel plays for Essendon and as we know they're all SuPeRsTaRs. It doesn't matter how old or broken they are.

If you consider players we have been linked with in the last 4 years, we are knocking it out of the park in terms of identifying the potential in players.

Xerri asked for a trade to the Saints and has had a breakout year. TDK has been a revelation. Caldwell has arrived. Miles Bergman has established himself in Ports best 22. Kai Lohman is kicking bags.

JDG, Weitering, LDU, McCluggage all quality who we’ve been linked with.

Not so great in terms of actually getting them across the line (Cordy and Dow the only two trades we’ve pulled across the line recently).

We do alright in the delisted free agent sector, with Bonner and Stocker recently and big Tommy Campbell is impacting at the club, despite not playing seniors.

Personally, I prefer to overpay for talent that’s yet to fully breakout, rather than older established operators like Shiel, Lobb and Tomlinson.

I may be wrong here, but didn't Shiel's management come to us, asking us to take him on?
The media would never admit to that sort of event though. It goes against the St.Kilda is desperate narrative. Shiel plays for Essendon and as we know they're all SuPeRsTaRs. It doesn't matter how old or broken they are.
Yes they did.

Last season.

No clue if that’s the case now. Or it’s mutual - which it probably is at this point.

If you consider players we have been linked with in the last 4 years, we are knocking it out of the park in terms of identifying the potential in players.

Xerri asked for a trade to the Saints and has had a breakout year. TDK has been a revelation. Caldwell has arrived. Miles Bergman has established himself in Ports best 22. Kai Lohman is kicking bags.

Not so great in terms of actually getting them across the line (Cordy and Dow the only two trades we’ve pulled across the line recently).

We do alright in the delisted free agent sector, with Bonner and Stocker recently and big Tommy Campbell is impacting at the club, despite not playing seniors.

Personally, I prefer to overpay for talent that’s yet to fully breakout, rather than older established operators like Shiel, Lobb and Tomlinson.
Add Draper to the list. I don’t think I’d heard of him when offered him a big deal.

Not having Gresham's salary and turnovers going into 50 already made getting rid of him a win, regardless of how Collard ends up

It has to probably be seen over a long period. The biggest benefit could come at the draft. We probably stay a bit more competitive this year if he had stayed. If we get a high pick and nail it, we have to consider that as part of the value of the deal too.

If Collard comes on that's probably the most basic win but equally Gresham might take a year to settle in and then become a good player like Acres did after he left. Then it could end up a loss.

At the end of the day it seems to have been a good move so far and Billings hasn't hurt either with us getting more out of Bonner even on less money and no trade.

Also have to consider that having Gresham means we have one less kid in the side every week. I'd still be trying to find another small forward still in case Collard doesn't come on. When Butler was out ion the side we really struggled to score. We probably won't win many matches from 90% of our score coming from marks inside 50.

It has to probably be seen over a long period. The biggest benefit could come at the draft. We probably stay a bit more competitive this year if he had stayed. If we get a high pick and nail it, we have to consider that as part of the value of the deal too.

If Collard comes on that's probably the most basic win but equally Gresham might take a year to settle in and then become a good player like Acres did after he left. Then it could end up a loss.

At the end of the day it seems to have been a good move so far and Billings hasn't hurt either with us getting more out of Bonner even on less money and no trade.

Also have to consider that having Gresham means we have one less kid in the side every week. I'd still be trying to find another small forward still in case Collard doesn't come on. When Butler was out ion the side we really struggled to score. We probably won't win many matches from 90% of our score coming from marks inside 50.
In practical terms, Henry has replaced Gresh in the side. Thats a win right there.
Luckily we ended up paying nothing for him also and Collard became a bonus.

Exactly. If we'd nabbed Flanders we'd have been flying. I think I heard he's the number 1 ranked player in the league or something. Bobby Hill, Jeremy Sharp even Brodie and Acres.

If anyone needed convincing we should look elsewhere after witnessing Sheil's spineless display yesterday, I reckon they don't need it now.
Our whipping boy Jones looked AA in comparison.
There must be other mature aged mids about if we need coverage.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In practical terms, Henry has replaced Gresh in the side. Thats a win right there.
Luckily we ended up paying nothing for him also and Collard became a bonus.

We did pay for him but at a what looks like bargain price and got a second back by being in the right place at the right time in live trading. Hopefully he gets his body right because he's shown heaps.

A few questions have to be asked about how our fitness staff operate after this season. I remember a Melbourne poster suggesting that Misson was a disaster and that he'd cripple the list.

James Peatling:
28 disposals (4th)
18 contested possessions (game-high)
6 intercept possessions (6th)
11 tackles (game-high)
8 clearances (2nd)
5 inside 50s
3 score involvements

Our midfield is doing ok now, but surely we are still considering this guy for cheap?

He's getting senior games this year. Not sure that they'll let him go cheap but definitely worth sniffing around.

It was interesting hearing Lyon talk about the midfield having been bare. Then mentions Pou, they obviously see him as a future star. But aside from that the cupboard does look a bit bare inside still.

If Clark and Dow can stay on the park they are serviceable but we still need an A grader. Hopefully draft this year and then FA next year?

If anyone needed convincing we should look elsewhere after witnessing Sheil's spineless display yesterday, I reckon they don't need it now.
Our whipping boy Jones looked AA in comparison.
There must be other mature aged mids about if we need coverage.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
100% There's talent all throughout Australia playing in state leagues, or not getting their opportunities in senior AFL teams.
I get that we need support for Steele, and that Crouch is by all accounts (unfortunately) cooked, but a 32 year old injury prone, soft as sponge Shiel is surely not it.
We can do better.

I thought Stocker held his own, and Jones has modified his game to suit his strengths.
It's not a flashy midfield, but it's a tough and able one. A warrior in Marshall, a bull in Steele, a bit of flash from Sinc's, speed from Jones, and grunt from Stocker.
Not top tier by any stretch, but still not one you would want to get into an arm wrestle in. Be interesting to see how Dow goes tomorrow.

James Peatling:
28 disposals (4th)
18 contested possessions (game-high)
6 intercept possessions (6th)
11 tackles (game-high)
8 clearances (2nd)
5 inside 50s
3 score involvements

Our midfield is doing ok now, but surely we are still considering this guy for cheap?
problem is the way he is going he will no longer be cheap,but if battle stays surely we rejig our thinking for 2025 and beyond and give up this shiel crap & start looking at a guy like this,someone who could potentially be there for the next tilt,or if yesterday was not just a mirage and regardless of the battle decision,we sign someone or 2 like peatling and back them in to join in a party like yesterdays

but if he keeps going like that i think its byebye callan ward and this guy is best 23 and staying going forward,i think every full game he has played he has racked it up,cant speak about DE,but those numbers regularly and any weaknesses can be worked on(just checked,he has had double figure ED in 7 games out of 13,some of which starting as sub,six games under 30% game time,so looks like that isnt a weakness either)

I'm surprised by that, would have thought Keeler has shown more than enough as a second year player.
We are talking about next season aren’t we?

I would expect Keeler to be playing and pushing for Senior level games. If not, you have to start asking the question.

We did pay for him but at a what looks like bargain price and got a second back by being in the right place at the right time in live trading. Hopefully he gets his body right because he's shown heaps.

A few questions have to be asked about how our fitness staff operate after this season. I remember a Melbourne poster suggesting that Misson was a disaster and that he'd cripple the list.
You'd think it gets reviewed for sure but my feel is if you take out the impact injuries then we're tracking alright, perhaps pre-season might have been a bit intense

Mission isn’t running our fitness department.

So…

Cordy was an unrestricted free agent, we also brought in Henry last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back