List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

he wpuld only go if he nominated. guarunteed if he went to sandy, saints would have an agreement with him not to nominate

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app
No that’s just not true.

He and any player with a brain would leave if a club came calling offering him a deal.

He has NOTHING right now. He isn’t going to wait on handshake agreements.

End of story on Tarryn Thomas

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Had a quick look at the charges he's facing & there doesn't seem to be any physical violence related. Not a legal expert but I'd be surprised if he gets anything more than community service & good behaviour bond.

Guaranteed that the league will make a little song & dance for PR purposes & then say clubs are free to consider recruiting him. From memory it's jail terms of longer than 6 months that result in a permanent ban.

Let's not forget that under the original ban that the AFL threw his way (18 matches), he'd be back playing by now.
It's Victoria. Where you can repeatedly commit violent offences and, despite this, continue to be bailed the same day by a bail justice. I'd be shocked if the conviction even stands against him.

Just to throw a cat amongst the TT pigeons, if he was an accountant, would everyone be wanting him to be banned from accountancy???

I know little to nothing about TT, nor do I care if I'm honest, but if football is the only thing he is capable of, why are so many so ready to remove he ability to earn a living?

I am not sure of the intricate details, so please feel free to add some context if you are more aware of the details than I am, but as far as I can tell, he sent threating/harassing texts, made harassing phone calls and threatened to release intimate videos/photos - is that correct?

I am not in any way condoning that behaviour, it reeks of immaturity and entitlement and should never be condoned. But I am sure he is a very long way from the first young person (male or female) to behave very badly when their intimate partner decides to end the relationship. Would everyone be howling for an apprentice carpenter to be thrown out of his trade? Or perhaps a young hairdresser expelled from her industry?

My son ended a relationship with a young woman early this year and she has now vandalized his car on 4 separate occasions - should we be seeking to have her banned from the retail industry?

Firstly, that's awful about your son's car. Let me state clearly what I am about to say does not diminish or intend to diminish that it any way.

But there is the clear reputational damage to the club if St Kilda signs Thomas that would be different than if he was involved in some other form of criminality. My social feed is already filled with dismay that anyone from the club even met him.

Also, playing elite sport is not a right. If he feels like he is being denied a living, he is free to avail himself of the courts to seek redress.

Also, the accountant in your example: I wouldn't know what he's been charged with. If I did, considering his work is financial, I probably would give that person a wide berth. That's a choice I am free to make, and if we sign Thomas, I think many members will exercise their free will over the memberships as well.

Personally I'd find it very hard to enjoy watching him play for my club. I said it on here about De Goey and I am stating it here about Thomas.

Edit: I don't have to worry about that any more.

Firstly, that's awful about your son's car. Let me state clearly what I am about to say does not diminish or intend to diminish that it any way.

But there is the clear reputational damage to the club if St Kilda signs Thomas that would be different than if he was involved in some other form of criminality. My social feed is already filled with dismay that anyone from the club even met him.

Also, playing elite sport is not a right. If he feels like he is being denied a living, he is free to avail himself of the courts to seek redress.

Also, the accountant in your example: I wouldn't know what he's been charged with. If I did, considering his work is financial, I probably would give that person a wide berth. That's a choice I am free to make, and if we sign Thomas, I think many members will exercise their free will over the memberships as well.

Personally I'd find it very hard to enjoy watching him play for my club. I said it on here about De Goey and I am stating it here about Thomas.
Luckily we won’t have to watch him. Club just confirmed we are not pursuing it after “a period of due diligence”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Edit: I don't have to worry about that any more.
Thanks for the honesty of your response TP. You're right, elite sport is not a "right" - it's a job!! And the accountant, my reference there is what if Thomas was an accountant - would people be screaming for him to be banned from accountancy, or carpentry, or working as a store-man?

There seems to have evolved a culture amongst football followers off the back of "cancel culture" that transgressions of any nature committed by footballers must not just be subjected to the normal punitive measures that we all would be subjected to for the same transgression, but there must be some form of punitive action in their workplace as well.

For example, an accountant loses his license for drink driving - he must pay a fine, complete a sanctioned drink driving course, and take public transport to work until he regains his license.

A footballer in the same position is then also required to do some form of publicly visible community service (like talking to high school students about the evils of drink driving for a season) - there is expected to be some public act of contrition associated with their workplace!!

No-one expects the accountant to work out of the stationary storeroom at work for 6 months instead of his office so that everyone in his workplace can see how much he regrets his poor judgement.

It's Victoria. Where you can repeatedly commit violent offences and, despite this, continue to be bailed the same day by a bail justice. I'd be shocked if the conviction even stands against him.

No different to any state in Australia to be honest.

But yes, you are correct.

End of story anyway.

So, we trading the skipper or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the honesty of your response TP. You're right, elite sport is not a "right" - it's a job!! And the accountant, my reference there is what if Thomas was an accountant - would people be screaming for him to be banned from accountancy, or carpentry, or working as a store-man?

There seems to have evolved a culture amongst football followers off the back of "cancel culture" that transgressions of any nature committed by footballers must not just be subjected to the normal punitive measures that we all would be subjected to for the same transgression, but there must be some form of punitive action in their workplace as well.

For example, an accountant loses his license for drink driving - he must pay a fine, complete a sanctioned drink driving course, and take public transport to work until he regains his license.

A footballer in the same position is then also required to do some form of publicly visible community service (like talking to high school students about the evils of drink driving for a season) - there is expected to be some public act of contrition associated with their workplace!!

No-one expects the accountant to work out of the stationary storeroom at work for 6 months instead of his office so that everyone in his workplace can see how much he regrets his poor judgement.
I think the issue relating to Thomas is about a specific kind of transgression. And it is not just happening in our sport or sport more generally. And this view is that his transgression (and the fact he has allegedly repeated them) does not represent a moment of poor judgement, but more a reflection of who he really is.

Either way, we aren't acquiring him, and we can all go back to complaining about the guys we normally draft and how we don't develop them.

Thomas out, let's get back on track. Let's make a play for Oliver🤪
i think we should go back and re-evaluate the Stengle angle, yeah I know he signed a new deal but with Clarry coming over, imagine the connection these 2 are going to have

You don’t put in 12 months worth of work and catch up during the week if you aren’t keen
I didn’t want Thomas but this club are the biggest bunch of bed wetters these days it turns my stomach. We are free to talk to any player we please for whatever reason without putting out an absurd 30 second statement that was tantamount to an apology.

I didn’t want Thomas but this club are the biggest bunch of bed wetters these days it turns my stomach. We are free to talk to any player we please for whatever reason without putting out an absurd 30 second statement that was tantamount to an apology.
Like it or not they had no choice after receiving likely thousands of emails. Much worse to stay silent.

I agree.
It’s like something Richo would have done.
If we’re not interested - so be it, why the need to announce it to the world?

Having said that, they were probably getting plenty pushback from members and sponsors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back