List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Pay him the 900k and put him forward would solve a lot of problems. Find another KPD if necessary.
Wish I could be bothered looking through the Big Footy Saints board of 3-4 years ago when everyone was moaning about Battle being a gop forward/wingman that Ratts should leave to blossom in the backline

Wish I could be bothered looking through the Big Footy Saints board of 3-4 years ago when everyone was moaning about Battle being a gop forward/wingman that Ratts should leave to blossom in the backline
Yeah there's that, but crikey he looked the part when swung forward a few weeks ago and slotted those goals like a beast. Keep in mind he was 21-22 years old then and we were a shit sandwich.

Well Tom Campbell will be playing well into his 50's so in reality we have nothing to worry about!

Yeah there's that, but crikey he looked the part when swung forward a few weeks ago and slotted those goals like a beast. Keep in mind he was 21-22 years old then and we were a shit sandwich.
Still reckon he'd be a goal kicking bull if thrown into the centre (not the wing, but actual centre) reckon him alternating with Steele in the forward line would be a great look.

Well Tom Campbell will be playing well into his 50's so in reality we have nothing to worry about!
Called upon once every two years for a game. Might just crack the 60 game barrier in close to two decades time 😆

Can't knock the bloke at all though. He's fairly solid when he does play...he's been on an AFL list for 12 years, picked up as a Rookie, for 57 games. A lot of players drafted a lot higher, and lost to the game, would be pretty envious I would think.
Good 'ole Tom and his determination and work ethic. Well done to him👍 ✅

Called upon once every two years for a game. Might just crack the 60 game barrier in close to two decades time 😆

Can't knock the bloke at all though. He's fairly solid when he does play...he's been on an AFL list for 12 years, picked up as a Rookie, for 57 games. A lot of players drafted a lot higher, and lost to the game, would be pretty envious I would think.
Good 'ole Tom and his determination and work ethic. Well done to him👍 ✅

Agreed I think I'm his biggest fan! Such an excellent role model from what I can gather and extremely durable.

Personally, I thought he was doing well up forward, but as long as he's in the 23 I don't mind him making a name for himself as a swingman. I hope we don't let him become a premiership Hawk ad it would only be a Band one top 7 pick that would allow me to be at peace with his departure. Still think we should make him our next captain.

Watch Battle become a gun forward at another club

To me he'll just be another Jake Lever. He'll go on to play in a premiership at the Hawks while we get a to pay Butts $600k to play at Sandy.

I just don’t get the pessimism, who’s left at present. All we have is a good ordinary player who’s a free agent possibly leaving, firstly we have cover already in place and secondly the compensation looks likely to be more than he’s worth.

Other than that we have a wild rumour about a contracted Marshall who’s 99% going nowhere and if he was traded it would have to be a stupid good deal for st Kilda. We’ll move a few players who have taken us nowhere and have nothing left to offer but more of the same. We’ll replace them with draft picks and players we can trade in whio better suit or needs.

Seriously if you want a blueprint for being a struggling 8 - 10 win team we’ve got it, that’s exactly what we’ve been doing. Now all of a sudden because someone rightly wants to change that it’s a disaster. We all wanted this gringo including you, we’ve been screaming for it. Nobody is going complete rebuild and we’ll be no more affected by natural attrition etc than any other club.

Look at the Pies and Geelong. The last 2 premiers carried a huge amount of older players. We have a window now to play finals for about 3 to 4 more years before a huge amount of older players who happen to be where a lot of our best players are, fall over. Both Geelong and Pies haven't bottomed out in years.

Players under 28. Cordy, Bonner, Battle, Paton, Higgins, Clark, Dow, Stocker, King, Byrnes, Henry, Hall. All bolded players should still be on an AFL list in 4 years.

Kids 21 and under. Heath, Nas, O'Connell, Windhager, McLennan, Owens, Caminiti, Keeler, Van Es, Hotton, Phillipou, Schoenmaker, Garcia, Wilson, Hastie.

If Stavro is right and the next challenge comes when this young under 21 group is in their mid to late 20s and all of the kids reach their peak I have us at 10 players (with Battle gone). That list is absolutely frightening to me. Sos and Ross are from a different era. Sos was at Carlton when they bottomed out and rebuilt from the bottom of the ladder for years. Ross rebuilt Freo I guess to some degree. They've made the top 8 once since 2015 and still look like a middling side still.

To me now we need a few high end players to go from a middler to a finals side. I think what Essendon has done is working, they've done well to pick off some cheaper players while paying up for FAs and building up the kids they do have.

To me signing Battle should be a priority. Go to his manager and ask what he wants and negotiate. The idea that we have no control is bullshit. If he leaves it's because we wanted him to. Then pay enough to get Stengle. Try to pre-agent LDU out of North and pay a future FRDP if we have to. Should go close to being top 4 with that list and a bit more further development into the kids.

What we don't want is to move players out of that middle list. We are more affected by natural attrition because we have stuffed up the last three rebuilds and have no middle age bracket due to having to buy it all up 5 years ago with draft picks. We are a stuck in a cycle.

Still reckon he'd be a goal kicking bull if thrown into the centre (not the wing, but actual centre) reckon him alternating with Steele in the forward line would be a great look.

Owens can't manage the centre/midfield craft thing and he's had some experience at 21 years old. Can't see Battle making it as an inside mid at any level when he'd only be starting at 25 years old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Owens can't manage the centre/midfield craft thing and he's had some experience at 21 years old. Can't see Battle making it as an inside mid at any level when he'd only be starting at 25 years old.

re Owens

He's spent the majority of time training as a forward. To say he can't manage the midfield craft is ridiculous.

re Owens

He's spent the majority of time training as a forward. To say he can't manage the midfield craft is ridiculous.

But by all means lets throw Battle in there.

Owens has had more experience and training as a mid than Battle and is not where we would need him to be as a mid, and that was the point I was making.

Look at the Pies and Geelong. The last 2 premiers carried a huge amount of older players. We have a window now to play finals for about 3 to 4 more years before a huge amount of older players who happen to be where a lot of our best players are, fall over. Both Geelong and Pies haven't bottomed out in years.

Players under 28. Cordy, Bonner, Battle, Paton, Higgins, Clark, Dow, Stocker, King, Byrnes, Henry, Hall. All bolded players should still be on an AFL list in 4 years.

Kids 21 and under. Heath, Nas, O'Connell, Windhager, McLennan, Owens, Caminiti, Keeler, Van Es, Hotton, Phillipou, Schoenmaker, Garcia, Wilson, Hastie.

If Stavro is right and the next challenge comes when this young under 21 group is in their mid to late 20s and all of the kids reach their peak I have us at 10 players (with Battle gone). That list is absolutely frightening to me. Sos and Ross are from a different era. Sos was at Carlton when they bottomed out and rebuilt from the bottom of the ladder for years. Ross rebuilt Freo I guess to some degree. They've made the top 8 once since 2015 and still look like a middling side still.

To me now we need a few high end players to go from a middler to a finals side. I think what Essendon has done is working, they've done well to pick off some cheaper players while paying up for FAs and building up the kids they do have.

To me signing Battle should be a priority. Go to his manager and ask what he wants and negotiate. The idea that we have no control is bullshit. If he leaves it's because we wanted him to. Then pay enough to get Stengle. Try to pre-agent LDU out of North and pay a future FRDP if we have to. Should go close to being top 4 with that list and a bit more further development into the kids.

What we don't want is to move players out of that middle list. We are more affected by natural attrition because we have stuffed up the last three rebuilds and have no middle age bracket due to having to buy it all up 5 years ago with draft picks. We are a stuck in a cycle.
To me battle just isn’t that important and I think the offer we made him was outstanding. Clearly if he leaves it’s for more cash and that’s fair enough. Basically we’ve been conditioned by failure to expect it so what you have to ask yourself is do you want to take the challenge to change that or happily wallow in more of the same.

Lyon and his team have run the ruler over the list and have identified what we need and set us on a course to get there. That’s exactly what I’ve been crying out for so I’m all in and to me it makes perfect sense. We’re not burning down the house, we’re continuing to trade as well as draft and we’ve already been liked to more experienced players some of which you yourself want at the club like McRae.

Also how long have we been going on about no X factor, get stringer get Degoey get anyone. Well just quietly I really rate our recent draftees and whilst maybe their not the complete package they show a lot of promise and some interesting skills. Nas is on his way to being a super star who’s as silky as they come. Wilson gets from goal square to goal square better than anyone I’ve seen and can play, he also has an overhead game that will develop with a great leap. Shoenmaker has a boot on him that few can match and will break zones wide open. Pho and Hastie are both top shelf just need some time and so on, Caminiti is 20 playing as a key, Keeler looks a wild card, king is decent as he is but clearly playing injured and with low confidence in his body. That shoulder will take another summer to get some strength and confidence back, you can see how frustrated he is trying to make an impact. Get him fit and using his pace, leap, agility and he’ll worry any side he’s got X factor is spades imo.

Anyway I’d love to see those guys in their prime on the MCG because those attributes win flags. You also need grunt and hardness in the 22 hello Owens and Windhager are made to order and on it goes. I look at our list and all of a sudden you can see how if we get our gun mids and with some luck we’re in the hunt and not just to make the occasional final but to be right in the mix for an extended period. Also don’t forget that’s the point at which we’re meant to load up of free agents, trades etc. That’s what Lyon was brought in to do and that what I see, rose coloured glasses maybe but I’m all about doing the right things because eventually that’s what gets results.

But by all means lets throw Battle in there.

Owens has had more experience and training as a mid than Battle and is not where we would need him to be as a mid, and that was the point I was making.

I'm just talking about your comment regarding Owens. To say he can't manage as a mid is ridiculous. He needs to train there full time. I don't know how people expect him to excel there when he's occasionally thrown in.

Other clubs back guys like JHF in at a young age. We need to do the same with Mitch.

I'm just talking about your comment regarding Owens. To say he can't manage as a mid is ridiculous. He needs to train there full time. I don't know how people expect him to excel there when he's occasionally thrown in.

Other clubs back guys like JHF in at a young age. We need to do the same with Mitch.

Well my comment was about Owens AND Battle. I was not raising Owens in isolation, only in comparison to Battle.

This is so true. You can't just "make" a midfielder at 25 years of age, regardless of his physical profile. Craft is vital, and gained from years of experience and coaching from a young age.

I wouldn’t mind Cam Rayner either. His best is excellent, there shouldn’t be a reason why he can’t do that more consistently. I think a new club would be good for him. Him and his family are very nice people also.

This is so true. You can't just "make" a midfielder at 25 years of age, regardless of his physical profile. Craft is vital, and gained from years of experience and coaching from a young age.
Haven’t Sydney done just that with Heeney this year ? How old is he ? Agree Battle ain’t a midfielder though.

Haven’t Sydney done just that with Heeney this year ?

Heeney was a inside mid when drafted, and was developed as one from 12 years of age by the Swans.

"As a highly promising youngster at the Swans Academy, Heeney was a first-round selection in the 2014 draft based off his work as an inside midfielder. However, as many rookies are forced to do, he began his AFL career in the forward line, and it stuck due to immediate success in the role."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back