List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cole looks very average. Probably around the level of Van Es so if he comes on it's a bonus.

Battle probably replaced by Schoenmaker I imagine.
Cole doesn't need to be any more than a solid lockdown full back to succeed at AFL level. Doesn't need to do anything flashy, just needs good defensive craft. Just look at Alex Pearce from Freo - horrible at everything except defending, which is his one role and a role that could've won him an AA blazer if not for injury. Enright is the perfect man to educate him in his development

I know most of the board loves him, but why are we rushing to sign him now when he is already contracted until the end 2026? I hope he can reach his potential, but another 5+ years with a salary probably making him our highest paid player is a huge commitment to someone who has had a lot of trouble with injuries.
If we are signing players who aren't out of contract yet, I'm a lot more concerned about getting Nasiah's signature.

I know most of the board loves him, but why are we rushing to sign him now when he is already contracted until the end 2026? I hope he can reach his potential, but another 5+ years with a salary probably making him our highest paid player is a huge commitment to someone who has had a lot of trouble with injuries.
If we are signing players who aren't out of contract yet, I'm a lot more concerned about getting Nasiah's signature.
Could end up being cheap over the long term, because by 2030 and beyond you don’t know how much salary cap and player payments could balloon out.

Max would probably be on current salary for the duration.

Nice to see someone speaking both logic and sense. There are a few in here that are blinded by false unicorns and dreams of middle earth.

Potentially adding the likes of Collard, Keeler, Heath, Garcia and Hastie to that young core if they come on as well.
speaking garcia,has he done something wrong or has it been decided that rest of season at sandy is best for him?

because im looking at those sandy stats every week and hes gotta be amongst the best players,yet he cant even come into a 26 with 6 or 7 changes

Meeting the salary cap floor would be my guess, as well as locking him away so he doesn't have to worry about it.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We sign him long term because it give us stability and the ability to move cash around.
In theory yes...but so far we've paid him handsome money to be wildly inconsistent, and constantly injured.

Hope it works out, because we're going to look mighty stupid if it doesn't.

Last edited:
Facts and rationality doesn't belong in the trade thread.

We had no youth coming through apart from Clark and Coffield and a young King and stepped out of a couple of drafts to chase players that weren't elite level.

It was incredibly bad timing too. That 2019 draft would have to have one of the best strike rates of any draft in history.

Funny enough it was a shocker for Sydney under Dalrymple. He took Dylan Stephens at pick 5 and Will Gould at 26, Elijah Taylor at 36 and luckily saved it with Warner at 39.

Incredibly there were only 2 busts in the top 10. McAsey at 6 and Stephens at 5. Others in that top 10 were Rowell, Anderson, Jackson, Ash, Young, Serong, Henry and Green. Most of them are above average or stars. Would have been harder to miss than hit.

Rest of the top 20 were Flanders, Pickett, Will Day, Bergman, Weightman, Cooper Stephens, Kemp, Georgiades, S De Koning, Philp. Only Philp and Stephens were busts.

Next 10 were Thompson Dow, Robertson, Williams, Schoenberg, Mead, Gould, Sharp, Worrell, Maguiness, Harry Jones....a few there that haven't established yet but still promising players. No absolute busts except Dalrymple's boy Gould.

Next 10 were Harrison Jones, Comben, Trent Rivers, Brock Smith, Mahoney, Perez, Taylor, Keidean Coleman, Nick Bryan, Chad Warner, Jay Rantall.

That was some draft to be sitting out of. Stars right into the second round and hardly a miss in the early part of the draft. That was a super draft. Dalrymple apart from Warner had an absolute shocker considering how much capital he had to use. Should have walked away with another gun.

Cole doesn't need to be any more than a solid lockdown full back to succeed at AFL level. Doesn't need to do anything flashy, just needs good defensive craft. Just look at Alex Pearce from Freo - horrible at everything except defending, which is his one role and a role that could've won him an AA blazer if not for injury. Enright is the perfect man to educate him in his development

I'm not saying not to take him but he's a free hit rather than an outstanding prospect. Probably a low percentage chance to make it but if he's discounted why not.

It's either genius when he comes good or an expensive millstone around our necks. Knowing our luck he'll play one more season and be forced to retire when his legs fall off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had no youth coming through apart from Clark and Coffield and a young King and stepped out of a couple of drafts to chase players that weren't elite level.

It was incredibly bad timing too. That 2019 draft would have to have one of the best strike rates of any draft in history.

Funny enough it was a shocker for Sydney under Dalrymple. He took Dylan Stephens at pick 5 and Will Gould at 26, Elijah Taylor at 36 and luckily saved it with Warner at 39.

Incredibly there were only 2 busts in the top 10. McAsey at 6 and Stephens at 5. Others in that top 10 were Rowell, Anderson, Jackson, Ash, Young, Serong, Henry and Green. Most of them are above average or stars. Would have been harder to miss than hit.

Rest of the top 20 were Flanders, Pickett, Will Day, Bergman, Weightman, Cooper Stephens, Kemp, Georgiades, S De Koning, Philp. Only Philp and Stephens were busts.

Next 10 were Thompson Dow, Robertson, Williams, Schoenberg, Mead, Gould, Sharp, Worrell, Maguiness, Harry Jones....a few there that haven't established yet but still promising players. No absolute busts except Dalrymple's boy Gould.

Next 10 were Harrison Jones, Comben, Trent Rivers, Brock Smith, Mahoney, Perez, Taylor, Keidean Coleman, Nick Bryan, Chad Warner, Jay Rantall.

That was some draft to be sitting out of. Stars right into the second round and hardly a miss in the early part of the draft. That was a super draft. Dalrymple apart from Warner had an absolute shocker considering how much capital he had to use. Should have walked away with another gun.
At the time, we stepped out of 1 draft to address multiple issues on the list after using 3 top 10 picks in the two previous drafts. We have no idea who we would have picked or if we would have developed them into a good player.

Absolute myth about our game plan being the problem.
If players hit targets and don’t miss easy goals we start winning.
The narrative is being completely controlled by incompetent media that just regurgitate each others bullshit like baby chicks being fed.
Let me know when someone with intelligence and journalistic skill actually writes something worth reading.

He's a valuable asset we want to build the list around. We have a stack of salary cap room, so extending him long term allows us to front end his contract. Also in a time when you need to hand out long term contracts to get a look in from opposition players, it's good to have some bigger contracts already locked in so we know what space we will be working with instead of just estimations of what space we could have.

I assume the club is getting ahead of another club offering max 10yrs on massive money (ala Naughton), which we may get forced to match. In addition, the extension will gives us cap flexibility and should put us in a position of power in negotiations should max seek a trade. Would be good to try and lock in NWM to a long term deal also.

At the time, we stepped out of 1 draft to address multiple issues on the list after using 3 top 10 picks in the two previous drafts. We have no idea who we would have picked or if we would have developed them into a good player.

And also capital out of 2020 draft for Hill and then traded for Snags which took a second round pick from the 2021 draft. It was back to front. You need to do the foundation work in the draft and then top up.

We were going for good news stories after we had lost guys like Stuv, Roberton, Armo, Savage, Brown, McCartin, Carlisle and Hanners. We then traded away guys like Hickey and Bruce who were GOPs and replaced them with a similar group of GOPs but at a much higher cost.

It looks like the exact way to stand still at maximum value. The only time you should be trading out of the front end of drafts is if you find an absolutely blue chip player with 10 year left.

We have now laid down a layer of promising youth and need to keep adding to it with high end picks and chipping off some good cheap talent from outside the draft.

Nice to see someone speaking both logic and sense. There are a few in here that are blinded by false unicorns and dreams of middle earth.
We're sailing very close to LOTR territory TJ.

And also capital out of 2020 draft for Hill and then traded for Snags which took a second round pick from the 2021 draft. It was back to front. You need to do the foundation work in the draft and then top up.

We were going for good news stories after we had lost guys like Stuv, Roberton, Armo, Savage, Brown, McCartin, Carlisle and Hanners. We then traded away guys like Hickey and Bruce who were GOPs and replaced them with a similar group of GOPs but at a much higher cost.

It looks like the exact way to stand still at maximum value. The only time you should be trading out of the front end of drafts is if you find an absolutely blue chip player with 10 year left.

We have now laid down a layer of promising youth and need to keep adding to it with high end picks and chipping off some good cheap talent from outside the draft.
We left that trade period with our 2020 first round pick. No one could have foreseen a global pandemic occurring and impacting any development for the 2020 draft class, which is why many clubs - not just us - invested very little in the highly speculative 2020 draft. Getting Higgins out that that trade period was a big win, especially given the main pick we used in that deal would have been moved out the following year due to being in the predicted pre-draft range of the Owens/Windy bids.

No idea what you are going on about with Hickey or Bruce either. Marshall become our number 1 ruck the year after we traded Hickey, so definitely an upgrade for us in quality there. We received pick 39 from West Coast for someone to play for their WAFL team. With Bruce, while it would have been nice to get more for him, we got back more than what we originally traded to get him and the Ryder/Marshall (just depending who was fwd) replaced him in the best 22.Their combination was fantastic and the main reason why we won games during that period. Definitely an upgrade in quality from Bruce.

speaking garcia,has he done something wrong or has it been decided that rest of season at sandy is best for him?

because im looking at those sandy stats every week and hes gotta be amongst the best players,yet he cant even come into a 26 with 6 or 7 changes
Nothing wrong with playing majority VFL in your 1st year for a skinny kid.
He's picked up the speed of AFL and is well on his way. No stress required.

Give us a break, Unicorns and dreams are all St Kilda fans have! What do you expect from supporters who follow "Saints" if not unanswered prayers and enduring hope?

A plan for the future and a way out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back