List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I truly do get the whole Band 1 argument.

And “we need mids” argument.

And the “third tall defenders” are easy to replace argument.

However as a long time supporter I have difficulty in hoping/cheering for an event to occur whereby a loyal, dependable, talented, consistent, popular, heart and soul player leaves the club to play elsewhere. It just doesn’t sit right with me.

Other clubs have benefits with first round compensation picks although that has usually been forced upon them as players have made the decision to leave rather than been forced out. And maybe that’s what will happen here with great offers from both clubs.

And if Josh goes to Hawthorn for reasons of money, tenure or some sense of pubescent love of horrible footy colours, then so be it. I’ll accept it and harbour no hatred towards him.

And maybe then we’ll get lucky with whoever we take at the pick we’re given.

Nonetheless I can’t hope or wish for that. Our support of our club is based on a love and loyalty to those players who take the field. Particularly those with talent and good attitudes.

So despite the holes in our midfield I’d still prefer to read that he has re-signed with the Saints.

If we can keep playing like we did against the Swans, then Battle is much more likely stay. It is easier to leave if you believe the club you are leaving will be struggling even if you stay.

We probably won't get a player the quality of Battle with that band 1 pick.
You might be right. But that doesn't make it good.
Lot of people seem excited at the prospect of going backwards.
I think Battle loves the saints.

I think Battle wants to play at Hawthorn

I think Battle is aware he can ensure we are looked after and leaving on great terms.

However as a long time supporter I have difficulty in hoping/cheering for an event to occur whereby a loyal, dependable, talented, consistent, popular, heart and soul player leaves the club to play elsewhere. It just doesn’t sit right with me.

Other clubs have benefits with first round compensation picks although that has usually been forced upon them as players have made the decision to leave rather than been forced out. And maybe that’s what will happen here with great offers from both clubs.

And if Josh goes to Hawthorn for reasons of money, tenure or some sense of pubescent love of horrible footy colours, then so be it. I’ll accept it and harbour no hatred towards him.

Nonetheless I can’t hope or wish for that. Our support of our club is based on a love and loyalty to those players who take the field. Particularly those with talent and good attitudes.

So despite the holes in our midfield I’d still prefer to read that he has re-signed with the Saints.
You sound like you’re of a similar vintage to me Dr. We remember when loyalty to the club, the jumper and the player meant something. Unfortunately those days are gone.
Josh is loyal to the Saints, until someone offers him a million bucks and then he’s out the door without a second thought. The Saints are loyal to Josh until we get a top 6 pick waved in our faces. It’s a different world.

Nobody wants Battle to leave, I don't think anybody is cheering for it to happen.
We saw his value on Sunday.
However if he does go UFA, we have to make the best of compensation offered.

We have screamed for an eternity for quality mids, take the best two available, get Parker or Oliver on a salary dump, find a backman nearing their end and offer a two year superannuation deal while we get Keeler, Van Es, Arie and McClennan up to speed.
I won't be happy if Battle leaves. In fact would much rather we trade King for another two firsts at the moment ,( I will surely be proven wrong), but if he does we just HAVE to strengthen our midfield.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nobody wants Battle to leave, I don't think anybody is cheering for it to happen.
We saw his value on Sunday.
However if he does go UFA, we have to make the best of compensation offered.

We have screamed for an eternity for quality mids, take the best two available, get Parker or Oliver on a salary dump, find a backman nearing their end and offer a two year superannuation deal while we get Keeler, Van Es, Arie and McClennan up to speed.
I won't be happy if Battle leaves. In fact would much rather we trade King for another two firsts at the moment ,( I will surely be proven wrong), but if he does we just HAVE to strengthen our midfield.

Don't want Oliver, he's not that good and he's the opposite of Stocker or Wood to have around the club.

I can't help but ask, if Battle loves the Saints why does he want to play at Hawthorn?
It's a business to them. His career has got maybe 5 years and this is his opportunity to set himself up.

He plays like he is invested in the club, but he like most AFL players are professional.

Loyalty is for the fans, not the players.

You sound like you’re of a similar vintage to me Dr. We remember when loyalty to the club, the jumper and the player meant something. Unfortunately those days are gone.
Josh is loyal to the Saints, until someone offers him a million bucks and then he’s out the door without a second thought. The Saints are loyal to Josh until we get a top 6 pick waved in our faces. It’s a different world.

If this is true, then i don't like our management.
Its not about Loyalty. Its about the team. Josh Battle's don't grow on trees.
Everyone thinks he's ordinary , cos he's a Saint. But obviously Hawks have seen the light.

Don't want Oliver, he's not that good and he's the opposite of Stocker or Wood to have around the club.
Just throwing out names. How about Oliver and Bailey Smith?
They would have some great contacts for the Columbian marching powder

i dont see the need to hope cheer or cry,if we have offered him fair,which by all accounts we have and he chooses to go for a better deal,we make the best of it and look forward to pick 5(hopefully)at the draft,if he stays we keep a very good steady player

disaster comes only if he chooses to leave and we cop band 2,then i think if his offer to go was better than mckays last season we are being sent a very clear message from the afl,if the offer was no better than ours then he is a cxxx

The wildcards here for me are Wilkie and Enright, both of whom have had an enormous impact on Joshs growth and development.

Enright has created a defensive system that is very effective in the current football world. Hawthorn would be hoping Josh takes a little bit of that system intelligence with him to help recreate what we already have here.

Wilkie is a defensive superstar, and our efficiency as a defensive unit really elevated after he came in. I'm not sure Sicily provides the same safe environment as Wilkie does, and (compared to Wilkie) lacks consistency in terms of his ability to stay on the park. Josh goes to Hawthorn and, aside from Siciliy, he has to fit in alongside Scrimshaw, Frost, Amon, Jiath, Weddle and D'Ambrosio. And if he doesn't impact immediately and consistently the overpaid tag will come trotting out by the football universe. It always does. It will be a battle for Josh, pardon the pun.

I also have absolutely no doubt that an experienced, athletic, tall marking type with good statistical AFL markers (like Tomlinson) could come in and flourish under Wilkies direction the same way.

I am in the keep Battle camp. But I think band 1 compensation for him will be fair, and I honestly think we can patch that gap in the short to medium term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So despite the holes in our midfield I’d still prefer to read that he has re-signed with the Saints.100 % there Doc.

100% there Doc.

A really great post by you there.

What you have described is exactly how I feel about things.

Both of us being long time rusted on/welded on supporters(who may need intense therapy btw) our love for the club just never goes away.

Talk about fast tracking the ageing process.

Did someone say therapy ??????

I think Battle loves the saints.

I think Battle wants to play at Hawthorn

I think Battle is aware he can ensure we are looked after and leaving on great terms.

Lol, "looked after", so Battle would happily go to the Hawks for peanuts, but because he love the Saints he will look after them by asking for a better contract.

What a load of crap.

If he goes i'm booing him.

Childhood club. Family die hard supporters. The opportunity to achieve the above probably doesn’t come around again at 32 when he would next be out of contract.

If he thought he had any chance of playing in a flag at the Saints, his child hood dreams would mean zip. Josh is still not 26yo and his footy will only improve for the next few years thats why Hawthorn are prepared to pay the $$$. IMO the club SOS & Gubby are playing a dangerous game believing they can afford to lose a player like Battle. If we do they had better absolutely nail the compensation pick they receive, otherwise they will have some very angry Saints supporters on their door steps.

Losing a very good player like Josh brings up all sorts of emotions for me, because I love seeing the guy run around for the Saints. He is one of my favourite players because he is so reliable and always has crack.

100% there Doc.

A really great post by you there.

What you have described is exactly how I feel about things.

Both of us being long time rusted on/welded on supporters(who may need intense therapy btw) our love for the club just never goes away.

Talk about fast tracking the ageing process.

Did someone say therapy ??????
I'm similar vintage and losing Josh would hurt. He's a key player in our defence which has performed well for 2 seasons under the Enright/Lyon coaching regime. It annoys me greatly every time I see Acres running around for Carlton.

Battle going would be yet another indication of us becoming the Southampton of the AFL. Just a development factory for other clubs.

If we get a band one pick then it's back to blind hope that player comes through...who of course doesn't just leave as an UFA in 2031. I can't shake this feeling of perpetual "rinse and repeat" if we lose him.

If he thought he had any chance of playing in a flag at the Saints, his child hood dreams would mean zip. Josh is still not 26yo and his footy will only improve for the next few years thats why Hawthorn are prepared to pay the $$$. IMO the club SOS & Gubby are playing a dangerous game believing they can afford to lose a player like Battle. If we do they had better absolutely nail the compensation pick they receive, otherwise they will have some very angry Saints supporters on their door steps.

Losing a very good player like Josh brings up all sorts of emotions for me, because I love seeing the guy run around for the Saints. He is one of my favourite players because he is so reliable and always has crack.

It might be just playing the haggling game.

If we offered him a better deal now , he might go back to the hawks and get an even better deal, then bring that back to the Saints pressuring us to go higher.

Lol, "looked after", so Battle would happily go to the Hawks for peanuts, but because he love the Saints he will look after them by asking for a better contract.

What a load of crap.

If he goes i'm booing him.
Not sure he is going to have to get much of an increase to get band 1 from the Hawks.

850/6 was what I last heard both clubs had offers at.

900 is apparently guaranteed band 1.

He isn’t doing it for you per se or me or any other supporters. His objective will purely be based on doing right by the club.

Battle isn’t the type to walk out and not care. He has great character

If the offers are the same why is it Gubby SOS or the clubs fault here?

Everyone wants him to stay.

It's a business to them. His career has got maybe 5 years and this is his opportunity to set himself up.

He plays like he is invested in the club, but he like most AFL players are professional.

Loyalty is for the fans, not the players.

That's exactly it Joffaboy.

For a whole host of reasons......players are in the game for a very finite period of time.

I was talking to some people on this very subject last week.

The players have to grasp every opportunity playing wise/money wise when they can.....careers/plans can be derailed in a blink.

Someone last week quoted the % of players that reach 100 games(it was less than I thought) the number reaching 200 games naturally is way worse.

"You grab it when it comes a knocking"

Having said that.....let's hope the Saints get up in what is reportably a photo finish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back