2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's looking more and more likely that one of FOS or Smilie will be available at pick 4. Indeed, every chance that both will be. If North can sneak up to 16th, I could see a world in which the top 5 goes:

Rich: Smith
WC: Draper
North: Trainor

If we can end up with 4 and 5, there's going to be some elite talent there.

Equally, seems like the perfect year to pick a project tall in the early second round. Surely one of Faull, Gerreyn, or Whitlock will be available and all would look great in the sandy forward line. I'd love to see us target a pick around 15-25 and hope for a slider like Hotton
Where has this Draper to West coast stuff come from?

I think you are watching this years No 1 pick, which is a shame we wont get to pick him up. Having said that there will be plenty of talent available at our pick/s.

The only question mark was how he’d play on bigger bodies. I’d have him pick 1 if his VFL form continues. Smilie looks like a potential bust to me. O’Sullivan is injured then only just going.

Where has this Draper to West coast stuff come from?

The others have been shit. Draper played well in the SANFL. He probably suits them. Their midfield looks very ordinary and he probably adds a bit more class to the meat and potatoes

It's looking more and more likely that one of FOS or Smilie will be available at pick 4. Indeed, every chance that both will be. If North can sneak up to 16th, I could see a world in which the top 5 goes:

Rich: Smith
WC: Draper
North: Trainor

If we can end up with 4 and 5, there's going to be some elite talent there.

Equally, seems like the perfect year to pick a project tall in the early second round. Surely one of Faull, Gerreyn, or Whitlock will be available and all would look great in the sandy forward line. I'd love to see us target a pick around 15-25 and hope for a slider like Hotton
Why would we want Smillie though? We already have Pou and hopefully Owens as tall bull-like mids. What we need, especially in the RTB system, is mids with either game-breaking power or leg speed and ability to spread with good ball use; guys like FOS, Jagga, Draper, Lalor, Langford

The only question mark was how he’d play on bigger bodies. I’d have him pick 1 if his VFL form continues. Smilie looks like a potential bust to me. O’Sullivan is injured then only just going.

31 disposals 8 clearances and the 5th highest ranked player against Williamstown was a pretty good start.

I’d consider Draper at 3 to be a reach

But each to their own.

You havent seen enough of him, if there was a SA with pick #1 he would go there IMO. He didnt have the greatest championships but is standing out in the SANFL since then. I would be more than happy taking Draper at pick #4, but I expect WCE will pick him up before us. He plays a similiar game to Luke Shuey but possibly quicker.

You havent seen enough of him, if there was a SA with pick #1 he would go there IMO. He didnt have the greatest championships but is standing out in the SANFL since then. I would be more than happy taking Draper at pick #4, but I expect WCE will pick him up before us. He plays a similiar game to Luke Shuey but possibly quicker.
By your argument he has shown less than Jagga smith just showed yesterday in his first VFL game.

And I’m not sure either port or Adelaide would select him at 1 because his is from SA

By your argument he has shown less than Jagga smith just showed yesterday in his first VFL game.

And I’m not sure either port or Adelaide would select him at 1 because his is from SA

I think the SANFL have proven to be a stronger comp than the VFL over the years. Draper's 27 disposals 10 tackles and 9 clearances in his first game back I would mark above Jagga's. Jagga is a great player an accumulator and tackling is his weak point, also dont think he has run and carry burst game that others have in the pool. Draper has that and potentially projects higher than Jagga, although I would be happy with either at Moorabbin.

Jagga will go pick #1 because of his consistentency, but the No 1 pick is very often not the best player in the draft long term.

I’d have drapers qualities ahead of jaggas. He’s more damaging and explosive than jagga although a ball magnet.
I feel like Draper is very similar to Windy and I do think we need an accumulating type of mid with elite positioning and work rate - someone who can read the ruck hitouts better than our current crop of mids

Then add on the strength and power of Lalor, suddenly we have an extremely even spread of attributes with Pou, Windy, Jagga, Lalor and hopefully Owens and a bit of Henry or Wilson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the SANFL have proven to be a stronger comp than the VFL over the years. Draper's 27 disposals 10 tackles and 9 clearances in his first game back I would mark above Jagga's. Jagga is a great player an accumulator and tackling is his weak point, also dont think he has run and carry burst game that others have in the pool. Draper has that and potentially projects higher than Jagga, although I would be happy with either at Moorabbin.

Jagga will go pick #1 because of his consistentency, but the No 1 pick is very often not the best player in the draft long term.

I’d have drapers qualities ahead of jaggas. He’s more damaging and explosive than jagga although a ball magnet.
As I said each to their own.

But one of you just said Jagga will go pick 1 and the next just said Draper has the better qualities.

I would say neither is a pick 1.

Smilie size for a midfielder would make it very hard for him to slide past pick 2.

Langford has started putting in performances that are a lot more damaging then either Draper or Jagga and he is a 190cm mid.

Thats before every draft watcher in the country removes their hand from the front of their pants when watching Lalor.

In all likelihood. Both Draper and Smith will most likely be there at our first.

I feel like Draper is very similar to Windy and I do think we need an accumulating type of mid with elite positioning and work rate - someone who can read the ruck hitouts better than our current crop of mids
Nothing like windy. Been watching him for 4 years. Draper is a clearance burst winning beast. Has shown it for the last few years. Last year as a bottom ager he dominated and now starting to work his way into the year dominating the SANFL for a kid his age is rare. IMO he projects to be the best pure midfielder at AFL level of this draft.

Nothing like windy. Been watching him for 4 years. Draper is a clearance burst winning beast. Has shown it for the last few years. Last year as a bottom ager he dominated and now starting to work his way into the year dominating the SANFL for a kid his age is rare. IMO he projects to be the best pure midfielder at AFL level of this draft.
Isn't the "clearance burst winning beast" what we want Windy to be?

Isn't the "clearance burst winning beast" what we want Windy to be?
Different I’d say. Draper hits the contest at serious pace through his burst and acceleration. Plays very similar to Jason Horne Francis in the midfield. His gut running from contest to contest stands out to me big time and is something we really don’t have

My main worry with Langford is that him and Pou don't work together in the mids and he ends up replacing Wood as a role-player on the wing, especially in the modern game where you need speed in the mids. Spending a top 5 pick on a role-player isn't the best

As I said each to their own.

But one of you just said Jagga will go pick 1 and the next just said Draper has the better qualities.

I would say neither is a pick 1.

Smilie size for a midfielder would make it very hard for him to slide past pick 2.

Langford has started putting in performances that are a lot more damaging then either Draper or Jagga and he is a 190cm mid.

Thats before every draft watcher in the country removes their hand from the front of their pants when watching Lalor.

In all likelihood. Both Draper and Smith will most likely be there at our first.

Thats what we have been suggesting for months there is no clear No 1, 2 or 6 pick this year. Its all subjective and the fact that Jagga had such a good championships and is now playing for the Richmond VFL suggests that he is most likely their choice for the No 1 pick. Would he be mine not necessarily, but clubs and individuals value different things in players.

For me the biggest asset a midfielder selected that high requires is the ability to not only win the ball but be dynamic and burst from stoppages. Thats why I would would select Langford at St Kilda's pick, plus he has the body and game for more improvement than others.

There is no right or wrong, but I believe Smillie will be a slider come draft night, he would be the least deserving top #1 pick ever if he landed there. He is a man child playing against kids, his only point of difference is his size, he is not quick, doesnt have a great kick, is not a strong over head mark for his size and IMO wont be so prominent in the AFL. If we picked him over Langford, Draper or others I would be very dissapointed.

Last edited:
Different I’d say. Draper hits the contest at serious pace through his burst and acceleration. Plays very similar to Jason Horne Francis in the midfield. His gut running from contest to contest stands out to me big time and is something we really don’t have
Yeah I can definitely see the JHF comparison except he can't play forward as well. Either way, whether we get Jagga, Draper, FOS, Lalor, Langford, we can't lose imo - all have deficiencies but also some gun attributes. Smillie would be the only one I'd hate to get

Yeah I can definitely see the JHF comparison except he can't play forward as well. Either way, whether we get Jagga, Draper, FOS, Lalor, Langford, we can't lose imo - all have deficiencies but also some gun attributes. Smillie would be the only one I'd hate to get

I disagree with your assessment of Draper but completely agree on Smillie. Is the most over rated player is this years draft pool IMO. He projects as a similiar player to David Mundy who was very good, but I think the other group will be better.

Thats what we have been suggesting for months there is no clear No 1, 2 or 6 pick this year. Its all subjective and the fact that Jagga had such a good championships and is now playing for the Richmond VFL suggests that he is most likely their choice for the No 1 pick. Would he be mine not necessarily, but clubs and individuals value different things in players.

For me the biggest asset a midfielder selected that high requires is the ability to not only win the ball but be dynamic and burst from stoppages. Thats why I would would select Langford at St Kilda's pick, plus he has the body and game for more improvement than others.

There is no right or wrong, but I believe Smillie will be a slider come draft night, he would be the least deserving top #1 pick ever if he landed there. He is a man child playing against kids, his only point of difference is his size, he is not quick, doesnt have a great kick, is not a strong over head mark for his size and IMO wont be so prominent in the AFL. If we picked him over Langford or others I would be very dissapointed.
I think you are applying way too much weight to the VFL stuff.

Jagga has some great attributes for a top 5-8 pick.

But he hasn’t shown the hurt factor of some of the others and that will hold him back.

It’s the same reason Smilie - even though he has been lacklustre of late has been the long touted #1 and Lalor is rising. They are hitting the scoreboard of their limited touches. They are big and explosive.

I think you are applying way too much weight to the VFL stuff.

Jagga has some great attributes for a top 5-8 pick.

But he hasn’t shown the hurt factor of some of the others and that will hold him back.

It’s the same reason Smilie - even though he has been lacklustre of late has been the long touted #1 and Lalor is rising. They are hitting the scoreboard of their limited touches. They are big and explosive.

Again Smillie wouldn't be in the top 6 in my draft. Touted and actually occurs are very different prospects, its all based on what Toce' and the other Richmond recruiters value higher in players.

I disagree with your assessment of Draper but completely agree on Smillie. Is the most over rated player is this years draft pool IMO. He projects as a similiar player to David Mundy who was very good, but I think the other group will be better.
Smillie at 194 will be a handful at AFL level. He may not have the same numbers as some but his POD is his size and strength and ability to win clearance. After a few pre seasons he will be an absolute bull clearance midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back