2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not at all.

But you are proclaiming Jagga Smith as the number 1 pick…. Because he is playing for the Richmond VFL side.

All I’ve said is that the bigger mids who also hit the scoreboard will have a bigger claim to pick 1. Irrespective of their current form - be it good or bad.

Bath water comes to mind....

That's been the comparison since last year, just whether he lives up to that standard is the question
Well to live up to the promise of any draftee is the thing except if you have a Harley Reid standout.
I am sure if there were threads like this in 2013 people would be wondering if the Bulldogs had overreached with Bont who could well have been a Toumpas.
You aren't saying it but to suggest any player is a bust at 18 is harsh. Pou looked a bust before going back to the VFL.

I am lured by the romance of a Bont/Cripps bull in Smillie, plus one of Draper, Smith, Langford, Reid, Lalor would be pretty good.

I know it's a risk with Smillie, but risks need to be taken.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well to live up to the promise of any draftee is the thing except if you have a Harley Reid standout.
I am sure if there were threads like this in 2013 people would be wondering if the Bulldogs had overreached with Bont who could well have been a Toumpas.
You aren't saying it but to suggest any player is a bust at 18 is harsh. Pou looked a bust before going back to the VFL.

I am lured by the romance of a Bont/Cripps bull in Smillie, plus one of Draper, Smith, Langford, Reid, Lalor would be pretty good.

I know it's a risk with Smillie, but risks need to be taken.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
You're literally putting words in my mouth - in what world am I suggesting he's a bust?

All I'm suggesting is that there are only two players in the entire competition in recent memory that have Patrick Cripps' physical attributes and plays at his sort of level with his sort of style - him and Bontempelli. Maybe Nat Fyfe too but he's a bit more athletic with his leap. Players like Jai Culley, Ned Long, Ed Allan have all been compared to him in the past and are nowhere near his level, let alone AFL level. I'm not saying Smillie will be as bad as them - I certainly think he'll at least be a good AFL player, but is that adequate enough for our midfield?

The reason why I wouldn't take him ahead of the likes of Jagga Draper Lalor FOS is purely because we already have a 190cm mid in Phillipou and a 191cm Owens with midfield potential. No elite midfields in the comp have more than one 190cm+ midfielder, so why should we invest in another one of those types when we could just take a mid that actually gives our midfield the potential to become an elite midfield over the next 15 years?

How very f#*%ing dare you…
He isn’t a midfielders ass hole at this point.

He is how ever a dynamic medium tall that can develop into a prime Ryan Okeffe type

That’s not me slagging Owens off. It’s pointing out that we shouldn’t walk away from mid/forwards in the draft because of Owens

You're literally putting words in my mouth - in what world am I suggesting he's a bust?

All I'm suggesting is that there are only two players in the entire competition in recent memory that have Patrick Cripps' physical attributes and plays at his sort of level with his sort of style - him and Bontempelli. Maybe Nat Fyfe too but he's a bit more athletic with his leap. Players like Jai Culley, Ned Long, Ed Allan have all been compared to him in the past and are nowhere near his level, let alone AFL level. I'm not saying Smillie will be as bad as them - I certainly think he'll at least be a good AFL player, but is that adequate enough for our midfield?

The reason why I wouldn't take him ahead of the likes of Jagga Draper Lalor FOS is purely because we already have a 190cm mid in Phillipou and a 191cm Owens with midfield potential. No elite midfields in the comp have more than one 190cm+ midfielder, so why should we invest in another one of those types when we could just take a mid that actually gives our midfield the potential to become an elite midfield over the next 15 years?
Bont & Macrae for the best part of a decade have been an elite pair of big mids.

Fyfe & Mundy have been the pinnacle.

Finn Callaghan & Tom Green

Holmes & Danger

I wouldn’t be caught up in the size of mids. Just take the best available

He is how ever a dynamic medium tall that can develop into a prime Ryan Okeffe type

That’s not me slagging Owens off. It’s pointing out that we shouldn’t walk away from mid/forwards in the draft because of Owens
If you EVER compare Chito to that fat, tattooed, sex pest again, I will find you, and I will end you.

Bont & Macrae for the best part of a decade have been an elite pair of big mids.

Fyfe & Mundy have been the pinnacle.

Finn Callaghan & Tom Green

Holmes & Danger

I wouldn’t be caught up in the size of mids. Just take the best available
In the modern game, Bont and Macrae haven't been able to hold up hence why Macrae was sub this week. Fyfe and Mundy I dare say wouldn't have been as potent either

Danger and Holmes both have elite speed which is completely different to what a Pou + Smillie dynamic would hold - plus they are not 190cm+

Finn and Green probably the best example but even then, Finn isn't a full time centre bounce midfielder and has the attributes to play wing (which indicates greater athleticism). I doubt Pou nor Smillie would be wingers of as high quality as Finn

In the modern game, Bont and Macrae haven't been able to hold up hence why Macrae was sub this week. Fyfe and Mundy I dare say wouldn't have been as potent either

Danger and Holmes both have elite speed which is completely different to what a Pou + Smillie dynamic would hold - plus they are not 190cm+

Finn and Green probably the best example but even then, Finn isn't a full time centre bounce midfielder and has the attributes to play wing (which indicates greater athleticism). I doubt Pou nor Smillie would be wingers of as high quality as Finn
Pou isn’t going to be an 80+% mid

He will play a fair bit forward.

Harvey Langford is 190cm mid and probably right at pick 4 at this point. I would be perfectly fine if we took him.

Pou isn’t going to be an 80+% mid

He will play a fair bit forward.

Harvey Langford is 190cm mid and probably right at pick 4 at this point. I would be perfectly fine if we took him.
And ideally when Pou is forward, Owens will be in the middle.

I'd be fine with Langford because he's athletic - almost a regen of Callaghan - unlike Smillie who is way slow

Literally any 2 of FOS, Jagga, Draper, Lalor, Langford and I'll be happy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be fine with Langford because he's athletic - almost a regen of Callaghan - unlike Smillie who is way slow

Smillie has played off half back and up forward.

I think you have him pegged incorrectly if you think he is slow.

This entire Owens midfield thing is really not likely to happen outside of spot minutes.

Smillie has played off half back and up forward.

I think you have him pegged incorrectly if you think he is slow.

This entire Owens midfield thing is really not likely to happen outside of spot minutes.
He is definitely slow compared to Langford and Callaghan imo

Pou I'd imagine is a 65-75% mid which is around Bont's cba % so Owens would really only be doing 25-35% mid which is not much at all, especially if we also get Lalor which can keep Owens forward for longer. If you don't think he'll get to that number then sure, we have differing opinions

Will be very curious how the club approaches our ruck stocks through the trade/draft.
  • Will the club give Heath a debut before the end of the year?
  • Will the club get rid of Campbell at year end?
  • Will the club chase a young ruck in the draft? Or target a cheap mature recycled option from another club?
The current situation at Melbourne is a cautionary tale if you poorly manage ruck stocks.

Last edited:
Will be very curious how the club approaches our ruck stocks through the trade/draft.
  • Will the club chase a young ruck in the draft? Or will the club chase a cheap mature recycled option from another club?
The current situation at Melbourne is a cautionary tale if you poorly manage your ruck stocks.
TC has been a fantastic role model leader and teacher but I think it’s time.
Get Max K to train as a part time ruck instead of Owens. Bring in a cheaply from lower leagues and yes debut Heath.

• Will the club chase a young ruck in the draft? Or will the club chase a cheap mature recycled option from another club?
The current situation at Melbourne is a cautionary tale if you poorly manage your ruck stocks.
I'd like to see Heath given a chance. And see us extend him.

Campbell should be finished. Wonderful clubman but it's time.

How would we know? Has all the attributes to be a gun in the middle, but for some reason Ross is allergic to giving it a chance.

How would we know? Has all the attributes to be a gun in the middle, but for some reason Ross is allergic to giving it a chance.
Because at AFL level he has been completely lost there.

That is why his midfield minutes have been limited to spot minutes.

He will end up being a premier third tall forward who spits into the centre contest and wrecks havoc or his dynamism destroys oppo backs.

It isn’t some poor coaching move from Ross. The coaching panel believe the game bypasses Mitch as a midfielder.

Underrated post, that list of wants is exactly where I'm at as well. Probably in that order, although the last 3 are interchangeable depending on the time of day it seems.

For the opposite reason to Jagga, I'd want to see Smillie play some VFL footy. This is harsh. I haven't seen enough of Smillie, but I reckon there might be bit of Bo Callihan going on with him based on what I've seen lately and the snippet of today's game. Proper Chad energy, but want to see what he is like against men with some decent pressure.

We haven't had a zippy ball magnet for some time, which is why I'm big on Jagga.

Looks like Finn didn't play again this weekend, which means he was probably playing injured in those champs games. He's running out of time to show something, but that slide can only be a good thing for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back