2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree with your assessment of Draper but completely agree on Smillie. Is the most over rated player is this years draft pool IMO. He projects as a similiar player to David Mundy who was very good, but I think the other group will be better.
Mundy was an absolutely elite kick of the competition, Smillie is nothing like that. Ned Long is a 194cm mid at Collingwood, Smillie could easily end up like that which would be a disaster for any first round pick, let alone a top 5 pick or even pick 1

Mundy was an absolutely elite kick of the competition, Smillie is nothing like that. Ned Long is a 194cm mid at Collingwood, Smillie could easily end up like that which would be a disaster for any first round pick, let alone a top 5 pick or even pick 1
Smillie has runs on the board. Has absolutely dominated at tac level this year. The champs are a hard assessment on players because of the 25 minute flat quarters and how it is a bit of a rotational policy especially with a stacked metro side this year. So numbers will obviously be down. He’s had multiple games multiple clearances, accumulation and goals. He has plenty of runs on the board

Smillie has runs on the board. Has absolutely dominated at tac level this year. The champs are a hard assessment on players because of the 25 minute flat quarters and how it is a bit of a rotational policy especially with a stacked metro side this year. So numbers will obviously be down. He’s had multiple games multiple clearances, accumulation and goals. He has plenty of runs on the board
Yeah I agree with you, but I hate the fit for St Kilda. We have Pou and hopefully Owens to move into the mids, we don't need another tall midfield bull. Steele has several years left in him too. We need damaging mids who can run, accumulate, spread, or have overall x-factor

Yeah I agree with you, but I hate the fit for St Kilda. We have Pou and hopefully Owens to move into the mids, we don't need another tall midfield bull. Steele has several years left in him too. We need damaging mids who can run, accumulate, spread, or have overall x-factor
I can guarantee you Smilie will have a bigger impact as an AFL mid then Owens.

Owens will be some sort of Jake Stringer

Would love two picks in this draft to get either Langford and Smillie / lalor/FOS/draper/smith. This draft is weird and sort of perfect for what we actually need. I sit pretty comfortable with us picking any of the top 6 midfielders and being very happy about it.

I’d consider Draper at 3 to be a reach

But each to their own.

He's probably top 6 so it's a slight reach but not outrageous. I thought you loved him? O'Sullivan has struggled to recapture his 2023 level after coming back and Smilie is really unexciting after the champs. I'd have Langford ahead of both. I'd have Reid ahead too but probably marked down because of his athletic testing. Trainor is still the wild card. Someone could jump really early. He looks the best of the talls by quite a bit.

Well you'd hope so considering Smillie is likely top 5 and Owens was pick 33

But the upgrade of Smillie on Owens isn't as impactful as what the others would do for us imo

There aren't any elite midfields in the comp with two guys 190cm+, which is what Pou + Smillie would be. They're all littered with leg speed or spread ability; Rozee Butters JHF; Heeney Warner Gulden; Cripps Walsh Cerra; Neale Dunkley McCluggage; Green Coniglio Kelly; Brayshaw Serong Young

He's probably top 6 so it's a slight reach but not outrageous. I thought you loved him? O'Sullivan has struggled to recapture his 2023 level after coming back and Smilie is really unexciting after the champs. I'd have Langford ahead of both. I'd have Reid ahead too but probably marked down because of his athletic testing. Trainor is still the wild card. Someone could jump really early. He looks the best of the talls by quite a bit.
I like Smith and Draper.

Doesnt mean I need to over rate them.

They just aren’t top 3 in this draft class.

They would be a reach

Smilie could be anything or nothing IMO. He's got high bust factor but if he works out he could be excellent. I would be worried about him ending ups a GOP myself. I'd rather Lalor and I don't rate him that much.

I like Smith and Draper.

Doesnt mean I need to over rate them.

They just aren’t top 3 in this draft class.

They would be a reach

I'm trying to predict what others might do. Richmond take Smith now IMO. VFL has made his stocks rise.

Draper has played good SANFL games too. If you are WC you go Trainor if you want a tall but just as pure needs their mids look a bit grunt over finesse apart from Reid who has a bit of both. Draper is more of a run past and collect the ball on the move and deliver it well. He has a bit more Dal Santo than Hayes.

I'm not saying they will take him but you can certainly see the logic in it.

Would love two picks in this draft to get either Langford and Smillie / lalor/FOS/draper/smith. This draft is weird and sort of perfect for what we actually need. I sit pretty comfortable with us picking any of the top 6 midfielders and being very happy about it.

To me the mids we need are all winners on the inside but they have to be able to run or Lyon will leave them out.

Langford is the most ideal to me. He bases his game on the Bont and Tom Greene. He's one that just never has a bad game. If you want consistency of performance he's right up there.

I'd take a risk on O'Sullivan if we have 2 picks and he slides too. His skill level was Wardlaw like last year. Injury is the only thing that is off putting. Poor form post injury either makes him a bargain or an injury bust but the payoff if he comes good is huge. For pure skill he's probably pick 1.

I have really gone off Smilie. He looked bored at times during the champs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm trying to predict what others might do. Richmond take Smith now IMO. VFL has made his stocks rise.

Draper has played good SANFL games too. If you are WC you go Trainor if you want a tall but just as pure needs their mids look a bit grunt over finesse apart from Reid who has a bit of both. Draper is more of a run past and collect the ball on the move and deliver it well. He has a bit more Dal Santo than Hayes.

I’m thinking Lalor is a chance at the top 3.

Smiles Fos will be around the mark.

Murphy Reid is another purely because he gets bang for his buck with possession- I just can’t personally warm to him.

Langford & Lindsay are going to push late.

Outside of FOS- they all have more hurt factor than Jagga and Draper that should push them ahead of both with strong ends of the season.

However, in my opinion. Trainor is going Top 3.

Best tall in this draft. Proving to be a match winner. Racks it up. Does it all. Only knock would be he may be too small to be a genuine AFL tall. That’s me being picky as ****.

Best tall in this draft. Proving to be a match winner. Racks it up. Does it all. Only knock would be he may be too small to be a genuine AFL tall. That’s me being picky as ****.

You would imagine that North would take him if available at their pick. They just do not need yet another mid.

Last edited:
Isn't the "clearance burst winning beast" what we want Windy to be?

You might want Windy to be that, but so far he has not shown himself to be a burst and away type mid.

He may become it, but has not really demonstrated that is in his tool set to date.

So far I have him more tracking Steele's career. The upside on this is very good, but just not a match winning/turning type mid.

How are you figuring that? Draper had 27 disposals in the sanfl with 19 contested? That’s not a “run past” player.

I’m thinking Lalor is a chance at the top 3.

Smiles Fos will be around the mark.

Murphy Reid is another purely because he gets bang for his buck with possession- I just can’t personally warm to him.

Langford & Lindsay are going to push late.

Outside of FOS- they all have more hurt factor than Jagga and Draper that should push them ahead of both with strong ends of the season.

So you are the expert on draftees as well now...it seems you have more inate knowledge about how things will go, than the rest of us put together. No matter how many hours we might of watched of junior football, we are so glad we have your over riding opinion on every thing. Thanks...

How are you figuring that? Draper had 27 disposals in the sanfl with 19 contested? That’s not a “run past” player.

You can still contest without going in for hard ball and win it through strength. I didn't watch the SANFL games but in the champs he more hits the ball running. He doesn't get second use, he wins it but not like your real extractor mids. It's more class than grunt the way he wins it. Dal could win his own ball but wasn't scrambling on his hands and knees in the clinches. He's not a bull.

Different I’d say. Draper hits the contest at serious pace through his burst and acceleration. Plays very similar to Jason Horne Francis in the midfield. His gut running from contest to contest stands out to me big time and is something we really don’t have

Yeah, more like that but doesn't have the power of JHF yet. Horny gets away quickly through explosive power off not much run up. He might be a little less explosive and a bit classier.

You might want Windy to be that, but so far he has not shown himself to be a burst and away type mid.

He may become it, but has not really demonstrated that is in his tool set to date.

So far I have him more tracking Steele's career. The upside on this is very good, but just not a match winning/turning type mid.

Steele at his best was probably the best 2 way mid in the comp. He'd win ball but be as good at defending as he was at winning it. Started as a tagger at the Saints because he struggled to get to the right spots without a role. They are tracking extremely similarly.

So you are the expert on draftees as well now...it seems you have more inate knowledge about how things will go, than the rest of us put together. No matter how many hours we might of watched of junior football, we are so glad we have your over riding opinion on every thing. Thanks...
Not at all.

But you are proclaiming Jagga Smith as the number 1 pick…. Because he is playing for the Richmond VFL side.

All I’ve said is that the bigger mids who also hit the scoreboard will have a bigger claim to pick 1. Irrespective of their current form - be it good or bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back