List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure he is going to have to get much of an increase to get band 1 from the Hawks.

850/6 was what I last heard both clubs had offers at.

900 is apparently guaranteed band 1.

He isn’t doing it for you per se or me or any other supporters. His objective will purely be based on doing right by the club.

Battle isn’t the type to walk out and not care. He has great character
Would be odd for him to go for an extra 50G. Doesn’t seem enough to pack up and uproot where your friends are.

It might be just playing the haggling game.

If we offered him a better deal now , he might go back to the hawks and get an even better deal, then bring that back to the Saints pressuring us to go higher.

I think when players believe they are playing at a club with a future they generally take the clubs reasonable offer/s. Players know what they are generally worth and the need for clubs to manage salary caps. I dont think Josh would be asking for anything unreasonable. Its when clubs are positioning for an early compensation pick they play the 'we love you, but we are not going above a certain figure' that spanks of hypocrisy.

Time will tell if the club gets it right, but if he does leave I will lay odds on Hawthorn winning another flag before we even play in one. There list build is far more balanced and advanced than ours, apart from key defenders and another key forward they are set to really step up.

If the offers are the same why is it Gubby SOS or the clubs fault here?

Everyone wants him to stay.

We dont know that do we? If Josh thought he and the Saints had a future and was feeling the love at the club, there is no way IMO he would leave. You sound convinced he is out the door.

Would be odd for him to go for an extra 50G. Doesn’t seem enough to pack up and uproot where your friends are.
And yet he hasn’t re-signed and apparently there is no difference in offers.

Not like we are tight on cap room.

Putting off his decision until the end of the season is shown to mean the player is leaving in the majority of instances.

We dont know that do we? If Josh thought he and the Saints had a future and was feeling the love at the club, there is no way IMO he would leave. You sound convinced he is out the door.
I’ll give you a comparison to show you that the club isn’t lowballing Battle.

Gresham got an offer late in the season to stay - which was below the amount he is getting at Essendon. Under the guise he was an RFA and the market would seem his worth. Yet when the time came it was all
About maximising compo

Battle got an offer very early in 2024 to the point it was supposedly done in round 2. We have kept negotiating. We have the coach saying we want him to stay. We don’t have the protection of him being a RFA. So we can’t play games and screw around here. We have to put our best forward or risk losing him for god knows what.

So yes I do think Battle is off. I mentioned it last week on here to Saint Watto. What more would he supposedly have to prove to the club? The answer is nothing.

What more is the club meant to do? There isn’t an instance of reported offers blowing ours out of the water. It’s the same between both clubs.

So what more is the club supposed to do right now?

I'm similar vintage and losing Josh would hurt. He's a key player in our defence which has performed well for 2 seasons under the Enright/Lyon coaching regime. It annoys me greatly every time I see Acres running around for Carlton.

Battle going would be yet another indication of us becoming the Southampton of the AFL. Just a development factory for other clubs.

If we get a band one pick then it's back to blind hope that player comes through...who of course doesn't just leave as an UFA in 2031. I can't shake this feeling of perpetual "rinse and repeat" if we lose him.
Blacres was one of the players in the 2019 trades/purge that I was very very sad to see go.

Back in 2016/2017 he was giving me Lenny Hayes "vibes" with his agility and kicking style.

I thought he was going to be Lenny "reincarnated"

But the club obviously thought at the time..."how long do we wait for this guy to come good"

Thus the "Space Cadet" title.

And how's Southampton also being "The Saints"

Life and God can be very very cruel at times.

Leicester City in the EPL remind me us us.....how many years did they take to finally win the Championship?

On second thoughts....let's not go there.

;) ;) ;)

It won't be a player at Battle's production immediately, because Battle is a mature veteran performing close to his peak. But Battle was pick 39.

It will be a move backwards in the short term. It would also IMO necessitate ensuring Howard is under contract for next season.
Personally I think Howard needs a contract either way. We really missed him when he was out.

And yet he hasn’t re-signed and apparently there is no difference in offers.

Not like we are tight on cap room.

Putting off his decision until the end of the season is shown to mean the player is leaving in the majority of instances.
I think Josh will stay, but in saying that with a pre-season education Caminiti will play down back, Enright is keen to push him down there coupled with Wilkie,Shoers possibly Dougs that gives us 4 tallish players with our running players around them doesn't look to bad.

If Josh stays Dougs goe's and vice versa

I’m still backing that if that offer from Hawthorn triggers band 1.

He will be a Hawk player.

So the club are happy for him to walk if we get a pick that we want? Exactly what I've been suggesting.

There are Hawks supporters who think they might end up with Battle, Bailey Smith, and Perryman.

Would be hilarious if they got none of them and had to spend their cap on their existing players.

If they pull it off and jump us I'll ****ing spew.

It won't be a player at Battle's production immediately, because Battle is a mature veteran performing close to his peak. But Battle was pick 39.

It will be a move backwards in the short term. It would also IMO necessitate ensuring Howard is under contract for next season.

Battle is about to hit his best and most consistent form. He's mid 20s.

Why would anyone give a damn what pick Battle was?
I guess Marshall must be worth a packet of chips because he was a rookie.
Brownlow medalist Neale? Obviously a typographical error.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Battle loves the saints.

I think Battle wants to play at Hawthorn

I think Battle is aware he can ensure we are looked after and leaving on great terms.

He's smart then. The Hawks will win another flag before we finish our 30 year rebuild. We have probably blown Gresham's compensation and are starting to play non performers big money to use up cap space. We are pretty much back to where Pelican had us.

Battle is about to hit his best and most consistent form. He's mid 20s.
He also now has a young family to consider and according to a photo on Insta has just brought a house. Also going to the Hawks won’t be a major upheaval as they won’t be that far from Moorabbin.

I think when players believe they are playing at a club with a future they generally take the clubs reasonable offer/s. Players know what they are generally worth and the need for clubs to manage salary caps. I dont think Josh would be asking for anything unreasonable. Its when clubs are positioning for an early compensation pick they play the 'we love you, but we are not going above a certain figure' that spanks of hypocrisy.

Time will tell if the club gets it right, but if he does leave I will lay odds on Hawthorn winning another flag before we even play in one. There list build is far more balanced and advanced than ours, apart from key defenders and another key forward they are set to really step up.

It's the cowards way of moving players on. Sos and Gubby both built lists from long bottom outs. I wish we had a quality list manager on staff. If these clowns stuff this up we probably need a full North Melbourne rebuild just as Tassie takes a bulk of the good draft picks out. Also makes us vulnerable to being raided.

So the club are happy for him to walk if we get a pick that we want? Exactly what I've been suggesting.
I don’t know anything factual.

I think Battle is a good footballer. But he is a much better person and he will feel like if the saints get band 1 than he can leave and the club gets looked after.

It won’t be a surprise to his agent the Hawks or the saints about what it will take to get a deal done in my opinion.

Unless they've told him we are planning to be bottom 4 for another 5 years and he can't wait around in hope.

I don’t know anything factual.

I think Battle is a good footballer. But he is a much better person and he will feel like if the saints get band 1 than he can leave and the club gets looked after.

It won’t be a surprise to his agent the Hawks or the saints about what it will take to get a deal done in my opinion.

When are we going to actually start moving forward? You said this year was going to be another down year but challenge in 2025. It looks like we will lose depth and best 22 mature players according to you. Where do we finish and when are they planning on producing something that looks like the Sydney game regularly?

He's smart then. The Hawks will win another flag before we finish our 30 year rebuild. We have probably blown Gresham's compensation and are starting to play non performers big money to use up cap space. We are pretty much back to where Pelican had us.
I think we have handled this perfectly to be honest. Which you seem to lack any understanding.

The Saints have no leverage. The worst decision we could make is offering Battle 1-1.1m per season right now and thankfully it appears we won’t.

We need to position our offer at or there abouts band 1 so that if he leaves it’s triggered. If he doesn’t it’s still a good deal.

The cap space will have kings new deal heavily front loaded. By the time we rebalance in another 1-2 years. It will be a value deal for the rest of its duration.

And before you add anything about King being a non performer. The numbers have clearly shown it’s not the case. I don’t need more Gringo salsa just like the crap you lay all over the draft.

We have a much better batch of sub 23 year olds outside of the ones GT had in 2003/4

When are we going to actually start moving forward? You said this year was going to be another down year but challenge in 2025. It looks like we will lose depth and best 22 mature players according to you. Where do we finish and when are they planning on producing something that looks like the Sydney game regularly?
Can’t answer that Gringo. I didn’t think we would have been smashed by injuries again like we did in our first 10 weeks.

I didn’t think King would be out for the season with a knee. I didn’t think we had anything to worry about with Battle.

I thought we would land someone with a shit load of cap space on offer and one by one they all signed up again.

Even the ones they targeted and were laughed at by those in here - TDK & Bergman.

One looks a star and the other a very good player.

Why would anyone give a damn what pick Battle was?
I guess Marshall must be worth a packet of chips because he was a rookie.
Brownlow medalist Neale? Obviously a typographical error.
100 % correct , it doesn't matter what pick he was drafted with , its what he is worth now.

Can’t answer that Gringo. I didn’t think we would have been smashed by injuries again like we did in our first 10 weeks.

I didn’t think King would be out for the season with a knee. I didn’t think we had anything to worry about with Battle.

I thought we would land someone with a shit load of cap space on offer and one by one they all signed up again.

Even the ones they targeted and were laughed at by those in here - TDK & Bergman.

One looks a star and the other a very good player.
TDK sure has turned the corner , you're right he will be a star , the other one is just a GOP IMO

Much as I would hate to see Battle go, if we get band 1 compo and can turn that into a half decent young midfield kid it is probably OK for us. Our backline is strong and I think Caminiti can back fill Battles role to some extent.

Midfield was, is and will continue to be our issue. It has to be our prime focus over the next couple of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back