List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

There'll be a lot of pressure on Battle if he moves. The Saints fans love him, but he will have to prove himself to Hawks supporters especially if he goes on massive coin.

I can see what the Hawks are building but there's a touch of vanilla to their midfield mix. They are no guarantee to shoot up the ladder. Imagine moving there and having to play alongside Frost in the backline?

I really hope we can sell the Saints to him and he stays. Hawks just seems a weird move to me.

Much as I would hate to see Battle go, if we get band 1 compo and can turn that into a half decent young midfield kid it is probably OK for us. Our backline is strong and I think Caminiti can back fill Battles role to some extent.

Midfield was, is and will continue to be our issue. It has to be our prime focus over the next couple of years.

Battle and Caminiti are nothing alike. Hammer would take Dougal's spot as a KP defender. Battle is more Tom Stewart or Jake Lever. Ari would have to take his place.

It might work out long term but the best player around that pick is probably Trainor who is pretty much an 18 year old Battle. That's if we don't rise up the ladder and miss out on the already thin cream.

By the time the 18 year old mids can take control of the midfield Sinclair, Wilkie, Marshall, Steele, Wood, Howard, Hill and those guys will be ready to retire.

I'd say that in the mid career age bracket we have three best 22 players left and a few speculative ones. Battle, Snags and King best 22. Dow, Sharman, Clark, Paton, Byrnes, Bonner etc.

We probably lose a lot of depth this year. It sounds like Membrey, Paton, Ross types are probably on the way out and we get younger again. If we don't overachieve at the draft we are going to be in for a really long rebuild.

There'll be a lot of pressure on Battle if he moves. The Saints fans love him, but he will have to prove himself to Hawks supporters especially if he goes on massive coin.

I can see what the Hawks are building but there's a touch of vanilla to their midfield mix. They are no guarantee to shoot up the ladder. Imagine moving there and having to play alongside Frost in the backline?

I really hope we can sell the Saints to him and he stays. Hawks just seems a weird move to me.

Are you serious about their midfield? It already stacks up against a lot of the best midfields in the league.

Newcombe, Day, Connor Nash who looks big enough to ruck, Worpol, D'Ambrosio looks good this year, Ward developing, Cam McKenzie who looks great in patches, Maguinness as a tagger, Harry Morrison and Amon outside and Hustwaite who was a highly regarded tall mid option taken in 2023. Also have Cooper Stevens there and talk that Jaith would turn into an outside mid this year.

If Hawks need anything it's not more mids.

Siciliy, Weddle, McCabe, Blanc, Grainger-Barass, they are even trying Serong as a KPB. I reckon they'll use him as forward to replace Gunston.

To me the Hawks list looks better on paper than on field. They recruit very well.

If we don't overachieve at the draft we are going to be in for a really long rebuild.

I don't think Battle staying or going will have much of an impact on whether we challenge sooner or later. Whilst the draft always looks like the long way home, it is your best chance to get a core young group to mature together. We have some pretty good youngsters - Phillipou, NAS, Wilson, Owens, Henry, Ari, Windhager, King. I'd be looking to add to that rather than trying to rush before the careers of Steele, Wood, and Hill peter out. Players like Sinclair, Howard, Marshall, Wilkie should have 5 years in them.

There is no right way. I'll be happy if Battle stays, I'll feel OK if he goes and we get a good draft pick in return.

Also on SOS he targeted Henry last year and everyone lost their $hit on the forum

Who lost their shit? The only shit was how much we'd have to pay for him dealing with Freo.

I’ll give you a comparison to show you that the club isn’t lowballing Battle.

Gresham got an offer late in the season to stay - which was below the amount he is getting at Essendon. Under the guise he was an RFA and the market would seem his worth. Yet when the time came it was all
About maximising compo

Battle got an offer very early in 2024 to the point it was supposedly done in round 2. We have kept negotiating. We have the coach saying we want him to stay. We don’t have the protection of him being a RFA. So we can’t play games and screw around here. We have to put our best forward or risk losing him for god knows what.

So yes I do think Battle is off. I mentioned it last week on here to Saint Watto. What more would he supposedly have to prove to the club? The answer is nothing.

What more is the club meant to do? There isn’t an instance of reported offers blowing ours out of the water. It’s the same between both clubs.

So what more is the club supposed to do right now?

If what you say is true then the club really is in trouble with what seems a questionable environment. If thats the case surely we should be concentrating more on WHY these players want to leave? Everyone has been singing Lyon's praises since he arrived, but it now seems mature players are wanting out. Gresham probably had his ego bruised, because he had been over rated by previous coaching groups. I didnt see him as a loss but Josh will be, surely the board have to ask the questions why?

It was interesting listening to Cooper Sharman's radio interview today. He laughed it off, but he said the Lyon often starts statements and gets lost in thoughts and goes off in a completely different tangent and they have no idea what he is trying to say. Ive noticed this with a lot of Lyons pressers, he gets so wound up in what he is saying he doesnt answer the question and then dribbles off into a completely different direction. The younger or new players would be too niave and junior to question his messages, but perhaps the more mature players are seeing through this. He would make a good politician, but Im wondering if this addled messaging is turning players off?

How do we really know if 900k X 6 will give us band one compensation? Is the equation in the public domain?

Its essentially what percentage of the top paid players he becomes.
Band 1 means he's amongst the top 5% of all AFL players.

I don't think Battle staying or going will have much of an impact on whether we challenge sooner or later. Whilst the draft always looks like the long way home, it is your best chance to get a core young group to mature together. We have some pretty good youngsters - Phillipou, NAS, Wilson, Owens, Henry, Ari, Windhager, King. I'd be looking to add to that rather than trying to rush before the careers of Steele, Wood, and Hill peter out. Players like Sinclair, Howard, Marshall, Wilkie should have 5 years in them.

There is no right way. I'll be happy if Battle stays, I'll feel OK if he goes and we get a good draft pick in return.

It means that we'll have to stack out that mid career pack which will cost money and/or capital. Otherwise we'll have a really young list. That usually means less competitive.

The club can't afford to spend years in the wilderness. So many fans I know are at the point of giving up and lots threatening to not renew.

The pick means **** all. They look like they threw away Gresham compo at this point so unless it ends up an upgrade it is exactly the kind of move that sets you back a long way. They can't afford any mistakes from here.

If what you say is true then the club really is in trouble with what seems a questionable environment. If thats the case surely we should be concentrating more on WHY these players want to leave? Everyone has been singing Lyon's praises since he arrived, but it now seems mature players are wanting out. Gresham probably had his ego bruised, because he had been over rated by previous coaching groups. I didnt see him as a loss but Josh will be, surely the board have to ask the questions why?

It was interesting listening to Cooper Sharman's radio interview today. He laughed it off, but he said the Lyon often starts statements and gets lost in thoughts and goes off in a completely different tangent and they have no idea what he is trying to say. Ive noticed this with a lot of Lyons pressers, he gets so wound up in what he is saying he doesnt answer the question and then dribbles off into a completely different direction. The younger or new players would be too niave and junior to question his messages, but perhaps the more mature players are seeing through this. He would make a good politician, but Im wondering if this addled messaging is turning players off?

Oh my god our coach is Joe Biden.

TDK sure has turned the corner , you're right he will be a star , the other one is just a GOP IMO
Bergman is 23 in October and has all the attributes to go bonkers. Wouldn’t be writing him off yet at all.
Battle and Caminiti are nothing alike. Hammer would take Dougal's spot as a KP defender. Battle is more Tom Stewart or Jake Lever. Ari would have to take his place.

It might work out long term but the best player around that pick is probably Trainor who is pretty much an 18 year old Battle. That's if we don't rise up the ladder and miss out on the already thin cream.

By the time the 18 year old mids can take control of the midfield Sinclair, Wilkie, Marshall, Steele, Wood, Howard, Hill and those guys will be ready to retire.

I'd say that in the mid career age bracket we have three best 22 players left and a few speculative ones. Battle, Snags and King best 22. Dow, Sharman, Clark, Paton, Byrnes, Bonner etc.

We probably lose a lot of depth this year. It sounds like Membrey, Paton, Ross types are probably on the way out and we get younger again. If we don't overachieve at the draft we are going to be in for a really long rebuild.
Club wants another key back irrespective of who is down there right now. So wrong again.

That came from Mission in a pre match function.

Also your ability to ID talent isn’t great. Didn’t you tell me along with 1 or 2 of your other mates that this bloke was only another GOP and the pies game was the exception and another SOS failure?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are on a piss take with Gringo aren’t you?

I’ll let the 2 of you enjoy your tea parties and doomsday theorising

Are you serious about their midfield? It already stacks up against a lot of the best midfields in the league.

Newcombe, Day, Connor Nash who looks big enough to ruck, Worpol, D'Ambrosio looks good this year, Ward developing, Cam McKenzie who looks great in patches, Maguinness as a tagger, Harry Morrison and Amon outside and Hustwaite who was a highly regarded tall mid option taken in 2023. Also have Cooper Stevens there and talk that Jaith would turn into an outside mid this year.

If Hawks need anything it's not more mids.

Siciliy, Weddle, McCabe, Blanc, Grainger-Barass, they are even trying Serong as a KPB. I reckon they'll use him as forward to replace Gunston.

To me the Hawks list looks better on paper than on field. They recruit very well.
I just think it's a bit meh. They have lots of depth in there though. But the fact they're targeting Bailey Smith suggests it needs improving.

Having said that.....let's hope the Saints get up in what is reportably a photo finish.

Great news Watto.

After leading to the shadows of the post, the Hawks stumbled as they stopped to leave a foundation stone for their new Dingley Dump whilst the Saints lunged for the tape

3ox6wbl.jpeg

Bergman is 23 in October and has all the attributes to go bonkers. Wouldn’t be writing him off yet at all.

Club wants another key back irrespective of who is down there right now. So wrong again.

Also your ability to ID talent isn’t great. Didn’t you tell me along with 1 or 2 of your other mates that this bloke was only another GOP and the pies game was the exception and another SOS failure?

No I rated him but didn't want to pay a FRDP for him. Very happy with that trade. I pointed out some of his flaws but never said I thought he was a bad target. I watched as many of his games as I could last year so I knew what I was talking about. He wasn't the finished article but he had some really high possession games. He's much better this year even though his numbers are down. His best games are much more damaging.

I just think it's a bit meh. They have lots of depth in there though. But the fact they're targeting Bailey Smith suggests it needs improving.

He's just a different type to a lot they have. They have a lot of inside ball winners but a bit of class outside would finish it off.

We should be looking at guys like Ward and Hustwaite. They'll struggle to get games.

Think you sent the last bit to the wrong person and Ps , I still don't think Bergman will be a start ;)

Think you sent the last bit to the wrong person and Ps , I still don't think Bergman will be a start ;)
Last bit was for Gringo. Hence why I quoted him.

Bergman doesn’t need to be a star to be a worthy get. There is only so many stars in this league. If that’s what you judge a player acquisition on then you will never be happy.

Last bit was for Gringo. Hence why I quoted him.

Bergman doesn’t need to be a star to be a worthy get. There is only so many stars in this league. If that’s what you judge a player acquisition on then you will never be happy.
I'm always happy

He will also go from taking the 3rd forward to needing to take the 1st or 2nd. Lot more pressure and responsibility with that.

Hawks may have had a good patch recently but as we've all seen, improvement isn't linear and the grass isnt always greener elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back