List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

On the face of it, it would seem very foolish to have Battle leave for top line FA compo only to use that FA compo on someone who plays Battle's position. I can intellectually understand the argument on turning Battle into a mid, but not a like-for-like but 7 years younger and yet to be proven KPD. That seems like insanity.
That's a fair point, but some itks have said Trainor could develop into a gun Jordan Dawson-type mid or the role Tom Stewart is playing atm. I can also see him potentially playing Wood's role on the wing (although that seems like a waste for a player of his talent)

McLennan will get another year, he's in the emergencies this week and is one of the few VFL kids to actually show promise and a linear development in a position of need. Hotton looked ok last weekend too so if he keeps the form up he might get rookied or re-signed. I think its him vs Hall

Ross is 100% gone, Jones is about 80% unless he goes crazy tomorrow

Jagga @ 5 is starting to look unlikely with WCE looming and Reid @ 6 is a reach imo (some will have differing opinions). I think we're very likely to take Lalor @ 6 and maybe Trainor @ 5 as best available (but hopefully its one of Jagga or Draper). If we miss Jagga and Draper @ 5, really hope we split the pick into 2 teens picks for Moraes and a Hotton/Reid/Travaglia

Agree with Jonty @ 24, that would be an absolute steal but now that he's fully fit he'll probably climb draft boards

Regarding academy and F/S kids, I think we'll take a maximum of 2. Cole + Linder/Hofmann/Peckett. Hall-Kahan doesn't deserve the Sandy spot, he's way too lazy it seems. Would rather a kpp project like Will Vesely
Hall signed for 18 months so he’s safe for next year. I still hope we keep Hotton though, unless we can snag two better mids at 5 & 6.

McLennan is what position though? He's sort of an accountable marking HB but not overly tall. A short third tall back? He doesn't seem to be a runner and more a stay on his player and intercept type to me. Ari looks like the long term Battle replacement and not sure where McLennan fits in. Do you think he's taking Webster's spot when he retires?

Jagga looks one of the few that will more than likely to be a gun so I think he probably does go before we get a go at him. Lalor and Reid are both a similar level IMO. Both just off the absolute best players. Once the Champs are over we should have a much better idea of where they all sit. Even guys like Gross and Langford could push up into that range.

Trainor looks better than a lot of the mids we have been talking about. It will shit me if we take a tall but as long as we pick up a mid with our second pick I guess it works out.
He's listed as 188cm so he's a decent height. Atm he'd probably replace Webster but maybe look at the Stocker role potentially as the versatile lockdown/ball user too

That's a fair point, but some itks have said Trainor could develop into a gun Jordan Dawson-type mid or the role Tom Stewart is playing atm. I can also see him potentially playing Wood's role on the wing (although that seems like a waste for a player of his talent)

I think it is well worn sentiment in these parts that St Kilda have drafted non-mids in the past with the aim of turning them into mids to little avail.

I think it is well worn sentiment in these parts that St Kilda have drafted non-mids in the past with the aim of turning them into mids to little avail.
I hope we don't take him either but I also want the club to take best available so Trainor will always have to be in our thinking. If he doesn't become a gun mid, he settles as a Jordan Ridley type gun defender, it's not a Coffield-like disaster. Who knows, could become a star key forward too

Honestly mate, we've looked like a dogs breakfast for large parts of games this year. If you want to believe that's 100% on the players, and coaches shouldn't be held accountable, knock yourself out.

Honestly mate take a look at the deplorable skills some weeks just needed Benny hill music - handballs to guys with a defender next to them, bombs into 50 from headless chook mids (cause talent in there is top notch right??), turnovers, inability to win a contest forward of centre and score etc ….thats capability
Do I believe coaches at times have tweaked how we play due to available personnel? Of course
Do I think Lyon goes into matches telling players “just kick about 5/7 goals lads …no more please…”no
You keep believing coaches pull these magical levers from the box to make players do dumb Shiit at times
I think the weight of performance is more about the cattle…
I really shouldn't need to comment, but there's are things called Confidence and Connection and Mindset that are the defining differences between good and bad skill execution.
All clubs train skills and if you want better skills you have to go and acquire specific players that have those qualities. How do youz not know this?

I hope we don't take him either but I also want the club to take best available so Trainor will always have to be in our thinking. If he doesn't become a gun mid, he settles as a Jordan Ridley type gun defender, it's not a Coffield-like disaster. Who knows, could become a star key forward too

How do we know it won't be a Coffield-like disaster? Predicting the safety of his knees, are we?

Any KPD selected with that pick would have to exceed Battle's production. I just don't see the benefit of rolling the dice on going to the draft on selecting a KPD. I'm skeptical that would be a success. If it is a straight mid, I can see the rationale more.

I hope we don't take him either but I also want the club to take best available so Trainor will always have to be in our thinking.

Given where our pick'/s are likely to be I think there would be little difference between Trainor and a mid/s that we might fancy.

Given 1/ our desperate need for quality mids, and 2/ the extreme difficulty, in gaining a quality mid not via the draft, I would much prefer they go for the mid/s.

This may well be our chance for some time to have the ability to gain a quality mid.

Given where our pick'/s are likely to be I think there would be little difference between Trainor and a mid/s that we might fancy.

Given 1/ our desperate need for quality mids, and 2/ the extreme difficulty, in gaining a quality mid not via the draft, I would much prefer they go for the mid/s.

This may well be our chance for some time to have the ability to gain a quality mid.
I'm assuming the worst case scenario where Smillie, O'Sullivan, Jagga and Draper would all be off the board, which is basically the top rung gone. By quality, Trainor is probably on par with those guys before the tier 2 mids we'd be left with such as Moraes, Reid etc. This is why, if this worst case occurs, I think we should split pick 5 for 2 mids - essentially get 2 for 1 - on top of taking Lalor with 6

After Battle compo, Suns would have 8,9,21. Maybe we could try for 5 for 8+21 or 9+21? Suns would want to get ahead of the Lombard bid. Would leave us with 6, 8, 21, 25ish. Lalor, Moraes, Faull, best available (Travaglia?, Hynes?, Langford?)

Last edited:
As another poster suggested if we could somehow turn our battle compo pick (+something later) into GC 8 & 12 so they can get ahead of their bid on the academy player that’d be a serious home run to get 3 inside 12 (inc. 1 in the top 5/6).

Also, losing all of Battle, Membrey , Campbell, Ross/Jones & Paton is a lot of experience to lose in 1 off-season. I think we need to be wary of cutting too hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If its the early part of the draft we want best available.
I would have been ropeable if we'd taken Naughton ahead of Clark and Coffield, but now i've changed my thinking.

Of course , "knowing" who is the best available is a whole other thing.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Billings was a cert, Bont a bit of a risk for example.

For all the bad decisions we had, that one is bad only in hindsight. Billings has played 166 games, a fine career, even if expectations were higher, but pales compared to Bont.
If we lose Battle I hope we get two mids, would be so counter productive to get a replacement back. Might as well bite the bullet and stock.up.on mids and get (chokes back vomit in mouth) get someone like Lobb for a couple of years or some other back looking for a final payday to bring along the kids like Keeler, Van Es etc.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Billings was a cert, Bont a bit of a risk for example.

For all the bad decisions we had, that one is bad only in hindsight. Billings has played 166 games, a fine career, even if expectations were higher, but pales compared to Bont.
If we lose Battle I hope we get two mids, would be so counter productive to get a replacement back. Might as well bite the bullet and stock.up.on mids and get (chokes back vomit in mouth) get someone like Lobb for a couple of years or some other back looking for a final payday to bring along the kids like Keeler, Van Es etc.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Naughton was in the discussion during that draft though.
No-one would have been surprised if he'd gone earlier.

Agree , Bont wasn't obvious.
I wanted Peter Wright when we got Paddy. At the time we were leaning on an ageing Nick R , and i was like "he's 2 metres tall and he can pinch hit in the ruck ". There were concerns that Petracca was a man among kids type.

As another poster suggested if we could somehow turn our battle compo pick (+something later) into GC 8 & 12 so they can get ahead of their bid on the academy player that’d be a serious home run to get 3 inside 12 (inc. 1 in the top 5/6).

Also, losing all of Battle, Membrey , Campbell, Ross/Jones & Paton is a lot of experience to lose in 1 off-season. I think we need to be wary of cutting too hard.
8 & 12 is not possible atm - the 12 is tied to the Dogs finishing position so at the moment its 8 & 9. As stupid as the Suns are, surely they won't take 5 for 8 and 9

It was me. I only mention it because they mention getting ahead of the Lombard bid on gettable. He will be right abouts at our pick. It would cost them two first to move to pick 5. It could be a future pick because they have another top end academy pick next year. SOS would be all over this as a hypothetical

While I think you’re right and I may be operating with wishful thinking we would very much have the upper hand in the negotiation. I’m sure they rather get 5/6 and their player vs 9 and their player (if the bid likely comes before their first pick).

While I think you’re right and I may be operating with wishful thinking we would very much have the upper hand in the negotiation. I’m sure they rather get 5/6 and their player vs 9 and their player (if the bid likely comes before their first pick).
We would just let them know that we plan on bidding on him at pick 4 if they don’t want us to we can come to an agreement. 😉

8 & 12 is not possible atm - the 12 is tied to the Dogs finishing position so at the moment its 8 & 9. As stupid as the Suns are, surely they won't take 5 for 8 and 9
Gold Coast can use their pick to outbid teams like us for a potential trade, and get late picks back before getting their early draft pick.

Gold Coast can use their pick to outbid teams like us for a potential trade, and get late picks back before getting their early draft pick.
While that’s true, given we may be the only team with 2 inside 10, I reckon we’ll be more likely to want to trade a high pick than anyone else in the top 10. And yes they could trade out their picks into the later point in the draft or into the first round next year. But our option would give them 2 top 10 picks this year which would have to be very attractive. Add to that Botts suggestion of threatening an early bid

On the face of it, it would seem very foolish to have Battle leave for top line FA compo only to use that FA compo on someone who plays Battle's position. I can intellectually understand the argument on turning Battle into a mid, but not a like-for-like but 7 years younger and yet to be proven KPD. That seems like insanity.

Trainor is an attacking tall back who you imagine would be a Wilkie replacement. Basically if we lose Battle and Howard this year we will have Wilkie and maybe Butts or even Cordy as our tall backs. Ari plays the interceptor role that Battle plays.

Wilkie is 28 so probably has 4 years before he's ready to retire or at least seriously slowing down. They probably do need to think about the future but Battle would have been one of the few players still in the side when those guys do retire. Big gamble.

The trouble is Max Heath plays his best footy when he is the only ruck in the team, he is not learning to be a ruck man standing in the goal square
He has gone forward a number of times and kicked goals

He has been improving lots

In my mind, this is the order that should happen in terms of leaving the club, either by delisting/retiring or trade.

1- Allison

2- Daylight

3- jones
4-Ross
5-Hayes
6-membrey
7-hotton
8-mclennan
9-Byrnes
10-stocker

McLennan's disposal is the one weakness that's holding him back. His intercepting and defensive work is his strength. Once he fixes his decision making and execution, he'll debut
This year?, though if he doesn't debut this year I fear he also be cut.

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back