2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he looks great. How bad was his testing? That always seems to be the knock on him. Every time you watch him he's doing eye catching stuff, great user and vision. On pure talent he should be top 4 IMO.
There are a few that have the full pre-season testing numbers who float around posting them on request. I don't have them myself.

It's the testing that scares me off. HC never looked that smart with his vision and creativity but lack of pace is a real negative for any modern player. That said he never looked like he was slow playing in the Champs or maybe he's learnt to work around it, he seems to hit the ball moving at pace and accelerates away.

His ball use and smarts are potential elite looking. I feel more confident that skilled guys will usually find a way. I think he's a sort of Seb Ross style first receiver mid ideally.

I feel a bit boom bust about Smilie and Lalor too. They are either absolute guns or absolute spuds.
Lalor. 100% boom or bust. Hence me going towards Langford as more of a personal want at our pick - if we had 2 and Jagga was potentially the other.

I don’t really see the bust with Smillie. Think he will have a long career. Don’t know about the heights.

I feel like he has real gun or bust potential.

Proper scares me if we took him. The list of mids we have all spoken about give me some comfort as I know what they look like being at AFL level - if they make it.

Murphy Reid - is he a half back? Half forward?Wing? Onballer?

I just keep getting cold sweats it’s Hunter Clark again.
Has some Zac Butters/Caleb Serong like traits, never phased. A bit laconic

Don't see hyperbole, especially this draft, no Harley Reid, Marcus Bontempelli, Chris Judd etc in this, but there are some very good young mids, Smillie, Smith, Draper, etc.
You must have a definition of star. I reckon we have the potential of four stars in this team.
This is opposed to champions. In my opinion I have seen 3 in Saints colours since I moved to Melbourne in 88.
Lockett
Harvey
Reiwoldt.
Plenty of stars in that time, Loewe, Burke, Winmar, Lenny, Dal, Joey, Kosi, Steven etc.

They are stars. Do we have a budding champion? Can't see one but they are like hens teeth.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
nas, pou and cooper ;) just let them cook

I feel like he has real gun or bust potential.

Proper scares me if we took him. The list of mids we have all spoken about give me some comfort as I know what they look like being at AFL level - if they make it.

Murphy Reid - is he a half back? Half forward?Wing? Onballer?

I just keep getting cold sweats it’s Hunter Clark again.
half back that moves to mid later in his career imo

Full highlights of the fantastic Champs run by Metro MVP Murphy Reid.

Very clean player, but his pace is a real concern for me. The clips where he has to carry the ball in open space really expose how quickly teammates will burn past him, and how quickly opponents close down on him. He has great decision making and an excellent kick of the ball, but when the St Kilda midfield is already composed of slower players such as Steele and Clark, I have concerns over how well Reid would fit.

And this is before considering the risks associated with his game translating into the AFL where there’s just that little bit less time you get with the ball, and players around you are just that bit faster. Will he still have enough time and space to put his weapons to good use?

If I had a later first round pick and he fell to us, I’d be happy. But when we’re looking in the range of pick 4-7 pending finishing spot, Battle FA outcome) then I think there are better options available, including pick-splitting.

Very clean player, but his pace is a real concern for me. The clips where he has to carry the ball in open space really expose how quickly teammates will burn past him, and how quickly opponents close down on him. He has great decision making and an excellent kick of the ball, but when the St Kilda midfield is already composed of slower players such as Steele and Clark, I have concerns over how well Reid would fit.

And this is before considering the risks associated with his game translating into the AFL where there’s just that little bit less time you get with the ball, and players around you are just that bit faster. Will he still have enough time and space to put his weapons to good use?

If I had a later first round pick and he fell to us, I’d be happy. But when we’re looking in the range of pick 4-7 pending finishing spot, Battle FA outcome) then I think there are better options available, including pick-splitting.
Yep gimme 1 mid with pace and happy then with an alpha, say Lalor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's an old saying that goes:

Self-praise is no recommendation........
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

I reckon he looks great. How bad was his testing? That always seems to be the knock on him. Every time you watch him he's doing eye catching stuff, great user and vision. On pure talent he should be top 4 IMO.
The speed that he makes decisions with the ball is so quick it kind of offsets any lack of pace. Similar to Sheezel in that respect. Also got a bit of that Butters agility and ability to creatively use the ball and hit up teammates. Looks like a beauty.

Nas looking like the best player on the list in the near future but not sure HBs get the respect that they deserve.

Looks great. Not sure he is "marquee" type.
I started a bit earlier than you I would add Darrel Baldock and Ian stewart to that list of champions but thats it

I’d have Trevor Barker in there as well. Criminally underrated but basically played in the worst VFL/AFL team of the last 50 years.

Barks is the only reason St Kilda still exists as a club.

Lalor. 100% boom or bust. Hence me going towards Langford as more of a personal want at our pick - if we had 2 and Jagga was potentially the other.

I don’t really see the bust with Smillie. Think he will have a long career. Don’t know about the heights.

Smilie looked like his attitude was a bit shit at the champs. Looked bored at times, to me that's an alarm bell.

Looks great. Not sure he is "marquee" type.

I’d have Trevor Barker in there as well. Criminally underrated but basically played in the worst VFL/AFL team of the last 50 years.

Barks is the only reason St Kilda still exists as a club.

Nas could be another Winmar highlights reel type I reckon. My Tigers mates have just discovered him and think they've discovered someone special. One said once he starts getting 25 disposals a week he'll win a Brownlow. Had to point out that he already does.

Last edited:
Nas could be another Winmar highlights reel type I reckon. My Tigers maters have just discovered him and think they've discovered someone special. One said once he starts getting 25 disposals a week he'll win a Brownlow. Had to point out that he already does.
Call me crazy but I reckon nas ends up better than winmar.

My point is more centred on that you knew they were midfielders at AFL level.

I’m not sure what Murphy Reid is.
I really like the look of Murphy Reid, but the time has gone that we get a high half forward and hope he becomes a midfielder.
We really need to go for outright mids.

When they said Lalor looked like a Stringer type, that frightened me a little bit.

I really like the look of Murphy Reid, but the time has gone that we get a high half forward and hope he becomes a midfielder.

When they said Lalor looked like a Stringer type, that frightened me a little bit.
I think a number of us are in this boat mate

Reid looks capable as a mid, not sure he's a risk like Lalor.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back