List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we need more midfield depth, i would rather us target another Koby Stevens type. Cheap trade picks, and a robust body to help Steele.

Less interested in the various old or broken players being suggested, even if they have more talent. I just see them playing 5-10 games and not really helping Steele at all.

So clubs would have seen our functioning forward line without Max the last couple of weeks. Surely they will ask the question, what would it take to trade him?
I get that he loves the Saints and the club has faith in him (as do I, although somewhat wavering) but no one is untradeable. What if Dee’s offered Rivers? What if Petracca asked for a trade.
What are your thoughts?

I think our center forward ball movement and pressure around the contest and not allowing teams to re-bound has more to do with our recent success than not having Max. If anyone really think's the only difference to how we are playing now is Max then they've probably lost the plot or are a little simple minded.

1 guy doesn't make that much difference.

He would find form pretty quick if he was in the team right now. Its a shame he's not here to cash in on some easier goals

Last edited:

Houston would cost far too much but not add a lot overall given we have Sinclair and Nas.
A player like Houston could slot in anywhere - very good player. But Bergman is the one at Port who the Saints hierarchy love, they may never get him over but it won’t be through lack of trying.

It was interesting hearing Lyon talk about the midfield having been bare. Then mentions Pou, they obviously see him as a future star. But aside from that the cupboard does look a bit bare inside still.

If Clark and Dow can stay on the park they are serviceable but we still need an A grader. Hopefully draft this year and then FA next year?

Even having Dow and Jones available for 23 games would have saved us this season. Incredible that out of Dow, Henry, Clark, Jones, Crouch, Windhager and even Steele, all were injured or limited for part of the season.

Our midfield isn't a strength but the midfield should have been adequate. Probably got Pou a run though so perhaps a blessing in disguise. We also have Garcia in development who looks a talent as well. Add in a top 10 pick this year and perhaps a later pick and pick up a player with a year or two left as a bridge and we look a lot better.

100% There's talent all throughout Australia playing in state leagues, or not getting their opportunities in senior AFL teams.
I get that we need support for Steele, and that Crouch is by all accounts (unfortunately) cooked, but a 32 year old injury prone, soft as sponge Shiel is surely not it.
We can do better.

Shiel is too old and injury prone. If you want depth, you don't bring in a guy that barely plays and when he does it's at a level similar to Jones.

Even having Dow and Jones available for 23 games would have saved us this season. Incredible that out of Dow, Henry, Clark, Jones, Crouch, Windhager and even Steele, all were injured or limited for part of the season.

Our midfield isn't a strength but the midfield should have been adequate. Probably got Pou a run though so perhaps a blessing in disguise. We also have Garcia in development who looks a talent as well. Add in a top 10 pick this year and perhaps a later pick and pick up a player with a year or two left as a bridge and we look a lot better.
The huge positive from yesterday is the forward line looks like it will be ok. Between Caminiti, Sharman, Owens and King we can be very dangerous.

It's all about the midfield now. And bringing this end of season form into the start of next year.

So clubs would have seen our functioning forward line without Max the last couple of weeks. Surely they will ask the question, what would it take to trade him?
I get that he loves the Saints and the club has faith in him (as do I, although somewhat wavering) but no one is untradeable. What if Dee’s offered Rivers? What if Petracca asked for a trade.
What are your thoughts?
Nothing.

Because we are on record saying we want him to be a saint for the rest of his career and are working on a mega extension

If we need more midfield depth, i would rather us target another Koby Stevens type. Cheap trade picks, and a robust body to help Steele.

Less interested in the various old or broken players being suggested, even if they have more talent. I just see them playing 5-10 games and not really helping Steele at all.

I'd rather go for someone like Tom Lewis from the SANFL, he was from the Rozee draft crop from memory but didn't get picked up. Averages around 6 clearances a game and only 23. Would have a fair amount of upside. The footage is a bit old but gives you an idea of his talent.

I’d be looking at someone like Will Brodie, Alex Davies or Riley Garcia.

The huge positive from yesterday is the forward line looks like it will be ok. Between Caminiti, Sharman, Owens and King we can be very dangerous.

It's all about the midfield now. And bringing this end of season form into the start of next year.

It's probably coincidence rather than anything but we look better without King. Hammer plays with real energy and presence. Maybe we should send King to CHB if Josh goes.

I think our center forward ball movement and pressure around the contest and not allowing teams to re-bound has more to do with our recent success than not having Max. If anyone really think's the only difference to how we are playing now is Max then they've probably lost the plot or are a little simple minded.

He would find form pretty quick if he was in the team right now. Its a shame he's not here to cash in on some easier goals

Having Snags and Butler in make a big difference and that was Owens best game for ages. Caminiti and Sharman both well above their usual output too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most Disposals

Still pretty impressive for a guy who was a fringe player a year ago. Also 4th in SC scores and 6th in DT scores.

Marshall is the number 1 ranked player in DT in the AFL, if he'd been playing in a better side he'd be the AA ruck this year with Gawn down, Grundy dropping right off in the second half of the year and English a bit down. Xerri probably the other ruck having an outstanding year.

A player like Houston could slot in anywhere - very good player. But Bergman is the one at Port who the Saints hierarchy love, they may never get him over but it won’t be through lack of trying.

He's a weird choice. He plays best as a rebounding HB which is the one position we seem overstocked in.

I'd rather go for someone like Tom Lewis from the SANFL, he was from the Rozee draft crop from memory but didn't get picked up. Averages around 6 clearances a game and only 23. Would have a fair amount of upside. The footage is a bit old but gives you an idea of his talent.

We've done well out of the SANFL, could do worse than to go to that particular well again. May be trickier to pull off with our new Sandy deal.

What are your thoughts?
We’re not trading Max. I would be absolutely staggered if they were even considering it for a minute.

Membrey’s right near the end with us sadly - Sharman, Caminiti and Max in whichever position suits them best - FF, CHF, 3rd tall/ winger would be what I would be looking at.

Owens mid/forward to mid eventually possibly. Chopping out in the ruck.

... So instead of someone that could potentially help if all things go right.. you'd rather get a c grader?

This place is wild.

The same people that are upset at the idea of paying Max $1m a year want us to pay Battle $950k+ a year

We play against two genuine bottom 6 sides and put on a score and people want us to trade Max because somehow Max is the reason the mids can't kick accurately and that we generally get absolutely reamed out of the middle

... So instead of someone that could potentially help if all things go right.. you'd rather get a c grader?
we aint getting bont or cripps cheap,so i think he means a brodie/peatling type c grader who could improve with us,rather than a shiel type c grader who is as cooked as some we already have

emphasis on CHEAP

we aint getting bont or cripps cheap,so i think he means a brodie/peatling type c grader who could improve with us,rather than a shiel type c grader who is as cooked as some we already have

emphasis on CHEAP
It's about getting a cheap player with upside. Someone who can elevate themselves to the next level with us and outperform the capital we give up for him. Peatling certainly looks like he can do so. Also why we got Dow last year but unfortunately he's been cruelled by injury this year - hopefully has a good run in 2025. Henry too

Max is such a posing figure its not his fault the team constantly bomb it on his head, but if he was a constantly moving or leading it would bring others into the game. I have absolutely no doubt we as a team function much better when he is not playing.

You need to go back and closely look at how much movement there was in our forward 50 last night. Compared to when Max was playing its night and day. Players are running to create space for each other because they know they will be rewarded. No one was stationary standing like a light post with their hand in the air. The Essendon defence simply couldnt cover all the leads, our mobility and the way we looked for different targets was sublime.

The work rate of Sharman and Caminiti for talls was exceptional. There was parts to the game where Cooper was involved across the HB line and then sprinted to the forward zone to be a leading target. Max is meant to be a strong runner but we never see it, he simply doesnt work hard enough particularly when things dont go his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back