List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should look at ageing footballers through the prism of Ross Ball...because it's all about the grind, and if your body isn't up to it the end will loom very, very quickly.
I can get the point that another mature body is probably needed in there, I’m just not sure the cost is worth it for such a short term investment. Maybe there is a less profile name with 90% of the impact of Macrae and closer to delisting. I’m not 100% sure that Macrae is so much better than Ross and there’s some grass is greener.

I think he could become an elite lock down small defender imo. Has good pace, is defensively minded, courageous and loves beating his man. Could take Websters spot on and just blanket the best opposition small forward each week.
I think we tried that with him earlier this year and late last year and it didn't work - he doesn't have any defensive craft. Would need a lot of development in that area

Plus, Ross seemed really pleased with McLennan's performance against Brisbane as Webster's successor

Thought Hawks were onto something when they carved us up after half time last year. It was like they flicked a switch and we couldn't stop it....like GWS in last years final...we just couldn't stop the buggers.
Same with Bris this year.

They beat us 3 different ways.

Hawthorn switch and run past for handball before we could set up.

GWS linking handball rugby style from defence exquisite kicking and Jelly Kelly...they get 2 metres on us and we could not catch them.

Brisbane forward handball and run out of centre stoppage.

We need more speed and strength around the ball. Better kicks, that's why we give it to Sinclair NWM Wilkie out of the backline. Battle long kick to break the lines and Hill Henry Steele and Pou into fwd 50. Byrnes is also providing that skull as well.

Just need a different protype Mid, quick and strong.....ps so does every other team as well.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Battle would be worth a try in that position.

Thought Hawks were onto something when they carved us up after half time last year. It was like they flicked a switch and we couldn't stop it....like GWS in last years final...we just couldn't stop the buggers.
Same with Bris this year.

They beat us 3 different ways.

Hawthorn switch and run past for handball before we could set up.

GWS linking handball rugby style from defence exquisite kicking and Jelly Kelly...they get 2 metres on us and we could not catch them.

Brisbane forward handball and run out of centre stoppage.

We need more speed and strength around the ball. Better kicks, that's why we give it to Sinclair NWM Wilkie out of the backline. Battle long kick to break the lines and Hill Henry Steele and Pou into fwd 50. Byrnes is also providing that skull as well.

Just need a different protype Mid, quick and strong.....ps so does every other team as well.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Cooper Hynes...

Watching what Sharmy and Hammer can do I think we can definitely take two firsts for King and not look backwards.
Plus our fwd defensive efforts as a collective are ****ing dismal and taking King out of the fwds will only improve that.

If what was said about Hawthorn using Battle and Barrass as lures for each other to both get to the club as a defensive duo, then this isn't promising for Battle staying...

Watching what Sharmy and Hammer can do I think we can definitely take two firsts for King and not look backwards.
Plus our fwd defensive efforts as a collective are ****ing dismal and taking King out of the fwds will only improve that.
Ross sees Hammer as a defender long-term though

My ideal setup assuming development goes according to plan is King, Sharman, Row up forward with Heath as the ruck. That forward line would be insane, especially with King relieved of some of the attention and able to fully thrive with a genuine CHF partner. Coops is probably getting the most attention by opposition atm - he'd be third string behind King and Row and would go nuts with a third tall playing on him

True but we keep hearing about others - so what is the difference? I didnt know King is like some protected species who cant be criticised or discussed sorry!
Anything is open for discussion, however there’s less than no chance we’ll be trading King. There was talk recently that he was going to be offered a long contract.

Anything is open for discussion, however there’s less than no chance we’ll be trading King. There was talk recently that he was going to be offered a long contract.
Honestly, King has probably already re-signed. The club are just delaying the announcement because of all the criticism they'd cop if they did so now, especially since Battle remains unsigned

Pushing the notion that we need to trade our good players to stock up on first round draft pick in this draft as the only way forward and way dominate for the next decade is already assigning this picks a messiah complex. And it's funny to do that after complaining about people assigning that messiah title to other players.

I hope I spelled that out as basic as possible for you.
No you did not answer how we get enough quality draft picks to get quality mids when we can't draft players like the Ashcrofts, the Daicos's or any NGA mids from the northern clubs while at the same time not being able to draft a topren mid from our NGA and with Tassie coming in and compromising the draft in 2 drafts time.

Could you give me your solution? Third time I have asked you for your alternative. I must conclude you have no answer. Carry on.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stop being silly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's only young and obviously only played 2 games, but I'm still unsure if McLennan makes it. Looked treacle slow out there yesterday, with blokes easily running past him. He's not tall enough to play on a second tall forward. Seems like he would need the right matchup for the opposition to select him. Worth having around for next year though.

doesn't mean we have to keep hearing trade King neither.

give you the tip, won't be happening

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Probably not. Looking forward to pick 6 and a second rounder rocketing us up the charts while Brisbane get Ashcroft and the Northern NGA's get any mid they like.

Hope we don't complain about our ok but not top 4 list going forward.
But wait we get another first next year, maybe we will have that by pick 16 like Wilson became.
Happy days.

He's only young and obviously only played 2 games, but I'm still unsure if McLennan makes it. Looked treacle slow out there yesterday, with blokes easily running past him. He's not tall enough to play on a second tall forward. Seems like he would need the right matchup for the opposition to select him. Worth having around for next year though.
I see what you mean but look at what Starcevich is doing at the Lions. Very similar players - solid size, same position, and slow. As long as he can improve his positioning and adjust to the level, he'll be fine

Probably not. Looking forward to pick 6 and a second rounder rocketing us up the charts while Brisbane get Ashcroft and the Northern NGA's get any mid they like.

Hope we don't complain about our ok but not top 4 list going forward.
But wait we get another first next year, maybe we will have that by pick 16 like Wilson became.
Happy days.

Don’t be silly. Our first pick (12) became 17, which we traded for 18.

I agree. Though I did hear from someone that Gold Coast are really into Max and have an offer on the table for him. I think there’s less chance of him going there than there is of Ben coming to us, and that’s not happening either.

No idea about Peatling, I just read that his contract is up at the end of this year. Has he signed a new one yet? If not then surely he's considering his options. Callaghan signed until the end of 2025.

I think Peatling fits our list profile perfectly, and every time we plug a hole it gives us more flexibility at the draft.

In the same way that if we had of acquired Lohman last year, then we may not have had to roll the dice on Collard and could have taken a Charlie Edwards or Harry DeMattia type at the draft.

I would trade a future 2nd for Peatling.

Peatling is a player just getting going, next year he projects like he could be GWS No 1 midfielder. Coniglio & Kelly are starting to age, I think it would take a bit more than a future 2nd to get him out of Sydney.

I noticed Leak is starting to shine in the VFL and Charlie Edwards had a productive game in the SANFL, both wouldn't be far away from debuting. I watched the GWS VFL game they got flogged but Leak was still able to contribute with 28 disposals. I can see why GWS wanted to move ahead of us to grab him he will be a player, although we shouldnt be unhappy with Wilson. Wilson is very much an outside mid/wingman although McLuggage started in that manner so Wilson may be able to play more inside as he matures.

If our recent recuiting history tells us anything is that we simply cant over look drafting quality genuine midfielders. No more flankers hoping they will transistion.

I agree. Though I did hear from someone that Gold Coast are really into Max and have an offer on the table for him. I think there’s less chance of him going there than there is of Ben coming to us, and that’s not happening either.
That does make sense tbh. Suns need to get out of the first rounds of this year and next year for Lombard and Uwland, and Max to partner Ben is the perfect way for them to do it

It's also the perfect way for St Kilda to bury itself in its grave for another decade

No you did not answer how we get enough quality draft picks to get quality mids when we can't draft players like the Ashcrofts, the Daicos's or any NGA mids from the northern clubs while at the same time not being able to draft a topren mid from our NGA and with Tassie coming in and compromising the draft in 2 drafts time.

Could you give me your solution? Third time I have asked you for your alternative. I must conclude you have no answer. Carry on.

If you want answer - how about we dont trade away our good players for draft picks that would inevitably be in the mid to late teens with the unrealistic hope we will draft multiple elite stars in one draft to carry us for a decade, or at least until they face any setbacks in development and then we can trade them off for more picks.

Peatling is a player just getting going, next year he projects like he could be GWS No 1 midfielder. Coniglio & Kelly are starting to age, I think it would take a bit more than a future 2nd to get him out of Sydney.

I noticed Leak is starting to shine in the VFL and Charlie Edwards had a productive game in the SANFL, both wouldn't be far away from debuting. I watched the GWS VFL game they got flogged but Leak was still able to contribute with 28 disposals. I can see why GWS wanted to move ahead of us to grab him he will be a player, although we shouldnt be unhappy with Wilson. Wilson is very much an outside mid/wingman although McLuggage started in that manner so Wilson may be able to play more inside as he matures.

If our recent recuiting history tells us anything is that we simply cant over look drafting quality genuine midfielders. No more flankers hoping they will transistion.
Don't worry about what GWS wants this is all about Peatling, who I reckon has got 5 brownlow votes in his last two games. Had a team high contested possessions (11), clearances (9) and tackles (6) on the weekend against Brisbane. 18 CP, 8 CL and 11 T the week before against Melbourne.

He is a 2021 mid-season rookie draftee who has been in and out of the side prior to the start of this season, often started as a sub. I'd be happy to wager he is on minimum dollars, and as Orange crush has said his new contract value is dependent on what others are getting.

I don't think he's top end class, but he looks like ready to go quality grunt. If money is what it takes to make the move, then I think we risk less by throwing slightly above average dollars at him then we do by throwing elite money at Macrae.

If you want answer - how about we dont trade away our good players for draft picks that would inevitably be in the mid to late teens with the unrealistic hope we will draft multiple elite stars in one draft to carry us for a decade, or at least until they face any setbacks in development and then we can trade them off for more picks.
It is so immensely frustrating that we even have to have the kind of discussion you and Joffaboy are having - talking about trading out good players already on our list in order to try and increase our draft hand to speed up our improvement, risky as it may be, when other clubs are just handed them on a plate.

We’ve discussed it ad nauseum, but the inequities of the competition make me so mad. And I don’t even know which one of you is correct.

Probably both and neither! 🙄

I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately and it was interesting to see BT point it out on comms yesterday after Dow's goal.

I've actually come to the point where I don't think King is petulant or sooky, our whole team just doesn't seem to be having any fun or getting around each other at all. This isn't a new thing either - Higgins kicked an absolute cracker against Port back in 2021 to open scoring and no-one went to him or got around him and it's stuck in my mind ever since.

King - for whatever reason - is the one who cops it from fans for this. But it isn't a King issue.

I don't know if it's something that we read into too much but I can't recall seeing any team in the comp care so little about celebrating with their team mates? There just seems to be so little energy and celebration when things go our way. It is actually kinda deflating as a fan so I have to imagine it's having some sort of impact on the field. All the best teams of the last decade seemed to have a real joie de vivre about them as we are just flat as a tack out there.
That Higgins goal stuck with me too for the same reason. It's why watching the Hawks at the moment is so much fun but equally difficult for us to stomach. Having fun with footy feels so alien to us a club. If you win all the time, it's easy to have fun with it. If you have the weight of 150 years of failure every time you pull on the jumper, it's hard not to play with a certain level of tension. It then becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy because generally the best results come from not being so tense.

This is a very macro and probably quite dramatic analysis of the psychology at the club. But you can see it right now. The leaders at the club and the people who are still there from the previous decade appear to be mostly head down, introverted, silent achiever types. Important to have these types of leaders of course, but this is the peronality type prone to snowballing when they make a mistake. These guys are perfectionists who take mistakes very personally. When your core leaders all share this trait, it bleeds across to even more FIGJAM types like Higgins, because that's the culture of the club. Imagine the shenanigans someone like Higgins would get up to at Hawthorn at the moment. It would be night and day.

We've been desperately crying out for more FIGJAM for years -- it's part of the reason why we're so excited about Pou, Owens, etc. I think one of the most important things for us to get right in the next 5 years as the current leadership brigade begins to phase out is replacing them with a few more outspoken, extraverted leaders. Guys who aren't going to internalise every failure that they and the club make.

Wouldn't mind us having a chat with Lukosius, as a Battle replacement. He's been dropped by Dimma and hasnt really had the impact you'd hope from a Pick 2.

Reminds me a bit of Battle, needs to settle down in a position, which we could offer in our pretty-settled back 6.

Would just need to fend off the Crom, they'd be keen if he was looking for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back