2nds 2024 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired long time but not as long as Malice

Retired, hated it. Now back at work 16-24 hours a week, work from anywhere. Have to attend scheduled meetings but other than that can work whenever.

Have both the freedom to do stuff and work demands to keep me honest. Loving it.

Very good win against the previously undefeated Footscray.

Clear Best on Ground was Jarryd Lyons, way above this level.

Fab4- Jarryd Lyons, Luke Beecken, Dev Robertson, Henry Smith.

The 3 new recruits all looked good, particularly Luke Beecken and Will McLachlan. Shadeau Brain and Jaxon Prior had better 2nd halves, Kalin Lane was pretty good as well.

Lyons masterclass. Managed the game for us throughout especially the last few minutes around halfback. His footy smarts just a level above this league.

Henry Smith looks ready to step up if there is an opportunity. Wouldn't let him while away time in the vfl for too much longer.

Impressed again by Sharp. Obvious attributes like speed and endurance are now complimented by strength. Interested to see him organizing setups around stoppages for a while in the third quarter.

Of the new guys, Beecken is a bit of a weapon. It will be interesting to watch him develop further.

Shoutout Dev. Another a bit too good for this level.

The 3 new recruits all looked good, particularly Luke Beecken and Will McLachlan. Shadeau Brain and Jaxon Prior had better 2nd halves, Kalin Lane was pretty good as well.
Re. Lyons. Great minds think alike.

Watching him live and the positions he was able to get into, beecken looked like he has been playing with us for 2 years not 2 days. Was impressed with how easily he adapted.

Great to read game summary of our guys well done .Now let’s hope we can build on their development and use them with our AFL team not just linger in the VFL.

Yeah same. Prior gets the fifth vote. For those at the game does ZZ stay on the bench most of the first half. Only really see him in the second half.

Yeah same. Prior gets the fifth vote. For those at the game does ZZ stay on the bench most of the first half. Only really see him in the second half.
The commentators said at one stage, I think way into the 2nd quarter that he was coming on for the first time.

The commentators said at one stage, I think way into the 2nd quarter that he was coming on for the first time.
They were wrong on that call.
Twice they mentioned that and i saw ZZ in the background earlier.
ZZ so far does not appear up to VFL standard.
So, he probably is not getting a lot of TOG anyhow because of his form.
He carried an injury through the offseason training, maybe it is still lingering.
Hopefully he starts to improve.

He carried an injury through the offseason training, maybe it is still lingering.
Got a funny feeling he might still be growing so the club might be taking it easy with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got the feeling watching him a couple of times that he wasn’t really match fit. Not a knock just confirming your thoughts that he hasn’t had the opportunity to get fit. He still did a few good things.

Jarryd Lyons to win back to back Liston medals. Can he still not get a spot. I’d wish we never low balled him. I’d much rather him than Laird and Crouch.

Jarryd Lyons to win back to back Liston medals. Can he still not get a spot. I’d wish we never low balled him. I’d much rather him than Laird and Crouch.
A bit like how Will Snelling is dominating the SANFL, Lyons is too good for this level but too slow to play midfield at AFL level. Berry moving inside has pushed Lyons further down the depth chart, and we'd probably need two further injuries to midfielders for him to play at senior level again. Sad for him, but at least he's still giving a big effort every week, which is more than quite a few others on AFL lists.

Outstanding first game from Beecken.
Encouraging from McLachlan.
Servicable from Craven.
Lots of room for improvement. All showed glimpses of great potential.

Now, how do we get Beeecken in the seniors after last night's great performance.

Outstanding first game from Beecken.
Encouraging from McLachlan.
Servicable from Craven.
Lots of room for improvement. All showed glimpses of great potential.

Now, how do we get Beeecken in the seniors after last night's great performance.
Drop McKenna?

Bit rough. He had an excellent game, bar the two risky kicks into the corridor. However kudos for trying. It's a tough position for the selectors.
McKenna led the team in clangers with 6. Yes he did some good things but this will kill us against a better team than the Bulldogs.

McKenna led the team in clangers with 6. Yes he did some good things but this will kill us against a better team than the Bulldogs.
I was encouraged last night with McKenna actually having the courage to take some of those kicks.
Because up until now he hasn’t!
Yes, some didn’t come off but we need someone other than Zorko taking the risky kicks out of the backline.
So I was encouraged to see him taking some risky ones and he will only get better now he has bit the bullet.

I was encouraged last night with McKenna actually having the courage to take some of those kicks.
Because up until now he hasn’t!
Yes, some didn’t come off but we need someone other than Zorko taking the risky kicks out of the backline.
So I was encouraged to see him taking some risky ones and he will only get better now he has bit the bullet.
You'd have to think it's a coaching instruction and I like it. He's still a bit rusty but will get better.

The idea with McKenna is that he build form. His job is to take those kicks. He is out of form having had two injuries to start the year. He will be fine.

IMO Sharp should be playing seniors now but at who's expense?
Also Brain should be in the senior 23 but at who's expense?
Beecken in one game shown he has what we have been looking for a long time. A running back that takes the game on but at who's expense.
Answerth did not deserve to be dropped to the subs bench, but others have the runs on the board.

So the task for the selectors is to fit 27 into 23.
Good luck with that

On F1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds 2024 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back