List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Against two of the sh***est sides in the AFL is why.
accurate but kemp also lead towards the ball carrier, rther than standing and wrestling and waiting for the high ball.

if we can bring that into the mix, one leading and one or two engaging the body it immediately makes entry into the f50 more dynamic and less obvious

accurate but kemp also lead towards the ball carrier, rther than standing and wrestling and waiting for the high ball.

if we can bring that into the mix, one leading and one or two engaging the body it immediately makes entry into the f50 more dynamic and less obvious
So do Charlie and Harry. Difference is they have genuine gun defenders stuck to them like glue every second they're on the ground with others in their leading lanes to prevent them too.

Kemp does/did not.

I think you're looking at the Houston thing the wrong way. By trading up to Pick #3 we're clearly looking to add another ELITE cog to our side. That's why you trade 12 and 14 for #3, because we want to get a look at an elite player not just young depth.

When considering why we chose Pick #3 over Houston the decision was pretty clear. Both give us an option at an elite player to add to our side, the difference being that one is a half back flanker and would be on close to $1m a year and the other is (likely to be) a midfielder and on a rookie wage.

I suspect it was more the cash and potentially the positional need (needing midfield pace over backline support) steered us down the path of Pick #3 over Houston, but what we were looking to add was an elite player - that's pretty clear.
I think people take a high draft pick as a given future elite player way way too much for granted- when the evidence over decades suggests it is a goodish bet that the player becomes okish - maybe - if all goes well. Peopel can point to teh high picks that are great - but forget the many more that are total duds.

I think people take a high draft pick as a given future elite player way way too much for granted- when the evidence over decades suggests it is a goodish bet that the player becomes okish - maybe - if all goes well. Peopel can point to teh high picks that are great - but forget the many more that are total duds.
Regardless. That's clearly what the club is looking for. But i disagree with your position. I think Pick #3 has a clearly better chance of landing elite players.

Successful Picks roughly #2-#4 in the past 10 years include: Callum Mills, Clayton Oliver, Tim Taranto, Hugh McLuggage, Andrew Brayshaw, Luke Davies Uniacke, Isaac Rankine, Max King, Noah Anderson, Luke Jackson, Riley Thilthorpe, Logan McDonald, Sam Darcy, Finn Callaghan, Nick Daicos

Successful Picks roughly #12-#14 in the past 10 years include: Hipwood, Rioli, Simpkin, Perryman, Fogarty, Butters, Quaynor, Pickett, Day, Bruhn, Powell, Sinn, Hobbs.

There's a pretty clear difference in quality between those two lists, there's maybe one elite player in the 12-14 section - Zak Butters. Whereas there's 9-10 in the first group. There's a very clear difference in quality.

No draft pick is a given elite player at AFL level.

Club has backed themselves in to draft one that will improve our midfield. It's clear the club has identified this area our biggest weakness... and very rightly so...

I've mentioned this many times... Houston would improve our side, no doubt... but at the same time, he will be just as stifled as our other players with the lack of movement from our midfield. He will end up booting the ball long up the wing as well and he will get away with it because the majority of the time, there are no other options aside from pinpoint passes to team mates who are sandwiched between two or more opponents.

The midfield were one paced, heavily reliant on Cripps, stagnant when we need to bring the ball out of our d50 and very poor at delivering the ball i50...

Houston doesn't do much to address this and a pick outside the top 10 drastically reduces our chances of picking up a kid that will.

This year's draft has been rated as one of the best, if not the best since 2001. And the highest rated players are midfielders. A pick at the top end gives us a great chance at drafting an elite talent that will bolster our midfield for years to come alongside Walker.

There's no doubt we needed to change up our midfield mix and we have done just that. Kennedy as much as I loved the bloke, heart and soul player that would be relied upon to do several jobs including rucking at stages... was also one of the biggest culprits when it comes to being slow and delivering poorly i50. He was hard done by in the ef, but if he was after more mid minutes, then there was just no way we could facilitate that request.

Hewett and Cripps are starting to enter an age where they will begin to decline. Walsh has been sub par playing inside and Cerra was mia this year. If Walsh's back is going to be causing him grief from now on and Cerra's hamstring issues don't go away, where do you see our already weak midfield going in the next few years? And it'll only be compounded by Tassie coming in too...

So yes, it is a massive gamble to rely on a draft pick... but there was no Petracca nominating us was there? So as far as I'm concerned, it was a good move from the club to forget about spending valuable draft capital and packing our salary cap on an aging hbf and instead look to bring in an elite young talent that will address the biggest area of need.

Austin had a lot of guts to take this risk... he's obviously very confident and risks need to be made to go to the next level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prob looking at $6-7M over 5yrs from others, mainly STK will be pushing some of their S/C for big name contracts. $1.2 to $1.4M a season…
Big money for a ruckman. Over capitalising.
At what point do the club walk away?

He’s obviously going to get a helluva lot more elsewhere, that is an absolute certainty.

I’d say we’ll tap out at around $900k a year.

In a perfect world we’d get him signed up nice and early. The longer it drags, the more likely it is that he’ll chase the $.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back