Player Watch #21: Callum Coleman-Jones - out for season after suffering Achilles rupture vs CFC on GoodFriday - go well CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

At the risk of inviting much ridicule; and because Larkey has struggled so much this year to kick goals; lately I have been wondering if in part this may be due to CCJ's absence.

Yes he is a much maligned player, CCJ, but this time last year he was in the team and providing an additional tall option in the forward line, as well as back up to Goldy. This year he would have also provided back up to X.

It seems to me that irrespective of how he is rated by us, having an additional tall presence in the form of CCJ in the forward line, just might have made life more difficult for opposition defences and easier for Larkey.

Having to play Chom in defence to cover for Logue, means we haven't had anyone of that height to replace CCJ.

Go ahead everyone, tell me I'm an idiot.
Love him or hate him it's clear Clarko's game plan was based on having a fit CCJ as forward / ruck. CCJ's injury coupled with Goater's injury (ironically both achilles) have completely derailed our season. I don't think we'd be anywhere near as bad as we are if these two were fit and healthy. I'm not suggesting we'd be 11 and zip by any stretch but I'm confident we'd have a couple of wins, it's completely f*cked our game plan.

Love him or hate him it's clear Clarko's game plan was based on having a fit CCJ as forward / ruck. CCJ's injury coupled with Goater's injury (ironically both achilles) have completely derailed our season. I don't think we'd be anywhere near as bad as we are if these two were fit and healthy. I'm not suggesting we'd be 11 and zip by any stretch but I'm confident we'd have a couple of wins, it's completely f*cked our game plan.
What a ridiculous excuse based on no evidence. CCJ has been terrible nearly every game he has played for us.
Our only three wins in the past one and a half seasons have come with him not playing as well. He also has 9 goals in 22 games for the club and we are 1-21 with him in the side. (he's also a terrible ruck - worse than the likes of Larkey and Greenwood)

Using injuries to shit players to cope and excuse a 0/11 season with a percentage of 55 or 56 or whatever it is quite comical to be honest. No evidence supports our forward line being better with CCJ, nor Larkey being better with him playing.

The coping mechanism of using the absence of very average players to excuse the rubbish our side has served up doesn't help anything.

Josh Goater has played 12 games.. He has been ok when he has played (not enough evidence to make a call). Using his injury as well as an excuse for the rubbish we have served up this season is also very, very kind.

Our injury list and luck hasn't been bad this season thus far, many other sides have it worse.

Last edited:
What a ridiculous excuse based on no evidence. CCJ has been terrible nearly every game he has played for us.
Our only three wins in the past one and a half seasons have come with him not playing as well.

Using injuries to shit players to cope and excuse a 0/11 season with a percentage of 55 or 56 or whatever it is quite comical to be honest.

No evidence supports our forward line being better with CCJ, nor Larkey being better with him playing. He has also consistently shown that he can't ruck. The coping mechanism of using the absence of very average players to excuse the rubbish our side has served up doesn't help anything.

CCJ has 9 goals in 22 games for the club.. His injury has completely derailed our season despite the fact we lose every week with him playing. We are 1-21 with him in the side...

Josh Goater has also played 12 games.. He has been ok when he has played but nothing more. Using his injury as well as an excuse for the rubbish we have served up this season is also very ****ing comical.
You seem angry, I'm glad you got a couple laughs.

You seem angry, I'm glad you got a couple laughs.
I edited my post but your assertions are ridiculous and based on zero evidence. Nothing supports the claim you made and anyone who has watched CCJ play acknowledges how terrible he is.

If you're suggesting we would have had a couple of wins with him playing then you absolutely have your head in the sand. Our record without him is notably better than our record with him.

I know supporters need to try and make up things to cope but someone trying to convince yourself that his injury has derailed our season is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on this site.

Nothing supports what you've said.

CCJ was a poo truck already for us and had a wider turning berth than the queen Mary at the best of times. Can you imagine what / how he will come back after a very serious Achilles injury? For a big already slow as **** big bloke this injury is 110% career ending . We should just Piss him off now and cut our losses and develop Goad or a new ruckman asap.

At the risk of inviting much ridicule; and because Larkey has struggled so much this year to kick goals; lately I have been wondering if in part this may be due to CCJ's absence.

Yes he is a much maligned player, CCJ, but this time last year he was in the team and providing an additional tall option in the forward line, as well as back up to Goldy. This year he would have also provided back up to X.

It seems to me that irrespective of how he is rated by us, having an additional tall presence in the form of CCJ in the forward line, just might have made life more difficult for opposition defences and easier for Larkey.

Having to play Chom in defence to cover for Logue, means we haven't had anyone of that height to replace CCJ.

it goes without saying, for all those bagging him on this page, we just saw the problem when he wasn't there.

Good for depth and good for structure. He’s unlikely to be any longterm answer but we’re so desperate for big guys with any sort of presence that we miss this guy.

He stuck a couple of marks early in the Freo game and it really spread their defence and put them under pressure.

CCJ played 9 games in 2023. No wins and only 1 competitive loss.

Would argue he had little to do with enabling Larkey's AA year.

Goldstein would be the closer reason imo. Established centre square protocol and Todd himself drew a defender when he drifted forward.

I don't think you're an idiot though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thoughts relevant (and I definitely won't call you an idiot) but he missed games last season and Larkey kicked good numbers in those games. CCJ also only played 9 games last season.

The numbers last season (quick math) 14 games without CCJ he kicked 47 goals at 3.35
With CCJ he kicked 24 goals in 9 games at 2.67

Pretty conclusive that last season it made absolutely no difference.

Larkey is just having a shit year and our midfield is down on last year as are our forward 50 entries. Difficult environment for a forward.
Should've refreshed before posting, you nailed it.

CCJ was a poo truck already for us and had a wider turning berth than the queen Mary at the best of times. Can you imagine what / how he will come back after a very serious Achilles injury? For a big already slow as **** big bloke this injury is 110% career ending . We should just Piss him off now and cut our losses and develop Goad or a new ruckman asap.
Gee you must be fun at parties.

"Piss him off" now? Gee, so eloquent, so heartwarming. I'd love to see you deliver the news to him that way.

And have you watched Goad play?

Wow what a bump!!

Sheesh talk about absence makes the heart grow fonder? this bloke will be the 2nd coming of Dean Cox come season end!

CCJ is underrated
You got that right! don't think i have ever seen such a spud pumped up to such dizzy heights before? Pink , a journeyman from the sandfull we got to fill a few holes in defence showed more in 1 Quarter than this bloke showed in 6 games when he went forward.

I wouldn't go as far as RH but given we are light-years away from paying the min TPP there definitely some merit of paying him out a la Polec style to free up a list spot especially as we will be looking at rolling back the list when the "generous" extra sports expire.

So based on him kicking 4 & 9 in the magoo’s last year, let’s conservatively say he would be leading the goal kicking were he in the VFL playing this season - not an unfair assumption.

At 200cm & 105kg, 24yo and kicking the odd bag at VFL level, I’m pretty confident some posters bagging him out here would be screaming out for us to recruit a bloke his size, shape and age to give us a bigger body in the mid season draft.

Agree these are hypotheticals but forget his contract, the questionable crap about the draft pick we gave up and what you’d like him to be at AFL level.

He is a useful player on our list for 2025, the side would be better with him in it this year and in the absence of a trade for Tom Hawkins, no draftee will be taking his spot in 2025 either save for Maley becoming a superstar!

So perhaps calm the farm a wee bit and let the bloke come back and see what he has for us next year.

Y’all bagged Xerri too, remember big men take time!

Wow what a bump!!

Sheesh talk about absence makes the heart grow fonder? this bloke will be the 2nd coming of Dean Cox come season end!

You got that right! don't think i have ever seen such a spud pumped up to such dizzy heights before? Pink , a journeyman from the sandfull we got to fill a few holes in defence showed more in 1 Quarter than this bloke showed in 6 games when he went forward.

I wouldn't go as far as RH but given we are light-years away from paying the min TPP there definitely some merit of paying him out a la Polec style to free up a list spot especially as we will be looking at rolling back the list when the "generous" extra sports expire.
Ironically Pink has looked ok and could make me look silly for what was posted 👆🏻

So based on him kicking 4 & 9 in the magoo’s last year, let’s conservatively say he would be leading the goal kicking were he in the VFL playing this season - not an unfair assumption.

At 200cm & 105kg, 24yo and kicking the odd bag at VFL level, I’m pretty confident some posters bagging him out here would be screaming out for us to recruit a bloke his size, shape and age to give us a bigger body in the mid season draft.

Agree these are hypotheticals but forget his contract, the questionable crap about the draft pick we gave up and what you’d like him to be at AFL level.

He is a useful player on our list for 2025, the side would be better with him in it this year and in the absence of a trade for Tom Hawkins, no draftee will be taking his spot in 2025 either save for Maley becoming a superstar!

So perhaps calm the farm a wee bit and let the bloke come back and see what he has for us next year.

Y’all bagged Xerri too, remember big men take time!
He has kicked 9 goals in 23 games and been hopeless in 90 percent of them.

It’s also extremely obvious he doesn’t have the required athleticism to play AFL. He moves like Shane Mumford but has no ruck nous.

Stop being delusional despite all evidence to the contrary. Everyone knows he’s not AFL standard except delusional fans who are living in an alternate reality.

You have absolutely nothing to support your argument so stop embarassing yourself.

Big men take time? He is 25 ffs in the prime of his career and has looked hopeless.

He has kicked 9 goals in 23 games and been hopeless in 90 percent of them.

It’s also extremely obvious he doesn’t have the required athleticism to play AFL. He moves like Shane Mumford but has no ruck nous.

Stop being delusional despite all evidence to the contrary. Everyone knows he’s not AFL standard except delusional fans who are living in an alternate reality.

You have absolutely nothing to support your argument so stop embarassing yourself.

Big men take time? He is 25 ffs in the prime of his career and has looked hopeless.
WOW you hate him don’t you.

A bit sad someone can be so angry and passionate about someone they’ve never met.

Not to mention throwing a little shade my way.

Are you ok bud?

WOW you hate him don’t you.

A bit sad someone can be so angry and passionate about someone they’ve never met.

Not to mention throwing a little shade my way.

Are you ok bud?
I don't hate him. I'm just not an idiot trying to convince myself that someone who has been hopeless for us is somehow going to turn good.

He's not good enough. We all know that. We've all seen it. Yet in the last couple of pages we have delusional posters trying to convince themselves of otherwise.

the original poster suggested Larkey was struggling because CCJ wasn't there - I responded with conclusive evidence and got crickets back.

you're saying he'll come good - he's 25 in the prime of his career and doesn't even average a goal every two games in his time at the club.

he just isn't made for modern afl. not his fault as he tries but he's just crap because of his very obvious athletic limitations coupled with a non-existent football iq.

suggesting I hate him for posting conclusive evidence dispelling stupid claims is ridiculous.

I don't hate him. I'm just not an idiot trying to convince myself that someone who has been hopeless for us is somehow going to turn good.

He's not good enough. We all know that. We've all seen it. Yet in the last couple of pages we have delusional posters trying to convince themselves of otherwise.

the original poster suggested Larkey was struggling because CCJ wasn't there - I responded with conclusive evidence and got crickets back.

you're saying he'll come good - he's 25 in the prime of his career and doesn't even average a goal every two games in his time at the club.

he just isn't made for modern afl. not his fault as he tries but he's just crap because of his very obvious athletic limitations coupled with a non-existent football iq.

suggesting I hate him for posting conclusive evidence dispelling stupid claims is ridiculous.
Don’t think I said he would come good.

I think I said short of a trade he will be our best option as a foil for Larkey next year so let’s see how he goes and hope we draft some talent that can develop over the next 2 years in that space.

And perhaps just the vibe of the vitriolic way you framed your argument that led to an assumption of hate and malice toward poor old CCJ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #21: Callum Coleman-Jones - out for season after suffering Achilles rupture vs CFC on GoodFriday - go well CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back