Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we know the exact distance the torp went?

I just hope Tom can learn to find 3-5 more cheap possies a game as he's almost top of the list of players we want getting hands on the footy.
According to Bounce it went 65.3m

I doubt the coaches would give a crap about anyones opinion or ideas on here.
Not true. The idea for Phillips to start tagging came from this great board!

Not true. The idea for Phillips to start tagging came from this great board!
he doesnt actually have to tag a single player either, a defensive mid keeping checks on oppos rotating through the middle is also a good spot, quelling part timers like corn frances and degoey who oppo coaches use spasmodically for impact would be handy.

Just for the record I am very very tempted to change my moniker to Tommy’s Torpedo, but I think he is about 15 meters short of the dagger Malcolm inflicted on the Blues all those years ago. For degree of difficulty however, the on the run torp is far harder to nail than the set shot. I must have watched his kick over 20 times this weekend. It bought such joy.

Just for the record I am very very tempted to change my moniker to Tommy’s Torpedo, but I think he is about 15 meters short of the dagger Malcolm inflicted on the Blues all those years ago. For degree of difficulty however, the on the run torp is far harder to nail than the set shot. I must have watched his kick over 20 times this weekend. It bought such joy.
It’s just kept sailing, and sailing, and sailing….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tracking almost identically to LDU & Simpkin in their 4th years. Easy to see Sheez & Wardlaw at 19/20 and dismiss Powell at 22 but he’s on track to match our best mids if he continues this trajectory.

He had his first preseason which is always limited, then came back from a groin which stunted his second, then his third he gained the much needed size and the fourth improved his tank to run out games, from now on it is just continually improving his strength, speed, endurance each year and the more games he plays the more confident he’ll get.

Genuinely frightening if he somehow turns into an LDU level player, and doesn’t even have to hit that level.

Tracking almost identically to LDU & Simpkin in their 4th years. Easy to see Sheez & Wardlaw at 19/20 and dismiss Powell at 22 but he’s on track to match our best mids if he continues this trajectory.

He had his first preseason which is always limited, then came back from a groin which stunted his second, then his third he gained the much needed size and the fourth improved his tank to run out games, from now on it is just continually improving his strength, speed, endurance each year and the more games he plays the more confident he’ll get.

Genuinely frightening if he somehow turns into an LDU level player, and doesn’t even have to hit that level.

He's certainly had his doubters on here. I'm not saying there aren't areas of his game he needs to work on but there are posters on this site that could be Ray Charles given the things they seem to see when they watch footy.

Tom may be tracking comparatively similarly to LDU and Jye regarding accumulation, but he has them both covered for vision, decision-making, and disposal. The thought of a player going at 100% disposal efficiency over a 23-possession game, when those possessions were, on balance, ambitious and with a degree of difficulty is just insane.

Jye and especially LDU have traits that Tom doesn't but he does have the potential to be at least the equal of those two players.

The barrel was great. The defensive game was fantastic, his best by miles.

But in the last quarter, when he was utterly ****ed after being smashed all game, he forced himself off the ground from contest to contest, just to put a bit of body on or be there as an option.

I've never had an issue with Tommy Gun Torpedo, even the defensive stuff was gonna come eventually, but he's gone up in my estimation so much after Saturday's game.

****en Shinboner! :handfist:

#2 for Tommy - goal assist of the season

Look at Worpel's goal. I want LDU all preseason to working on exactly that.

The goal LDU did kick was short on distance and lucky and the one that almost brought the house down he could've kick earlier rather than going out wide, less balance and missing.

He starts kicking goals just like the Worpel one he'd become an instant 25+ goal kicking AA mid.

The barrel was great. The defensive game was fantastic, his best by miles.

But in the last quarter, when he was utterly ****ed after being smashed all game, he forced himself off the ground from contest to contest, just to put a bit of body on or be there as an option.

I've never had an issue with Tommy Gun Torpedo, even the defensive stuff was gonna come eventually, but he's gone up in my estimation so much after Saturday's game.

****en Shinboner! :handfist:

He was also the one to take the risky kick in the last that allowed us the transition set up Curtis.

He was in just about everything that went our way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back