Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually thought it was a little hungry of Shiels not to dish to Larkey given he was on a 3 week drought at the time… but then Tom wouldn’t technically have gotten the assist. Well played, Liam.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Bounced back hard.
That was the game he was meant to play last week with George out.

That's the standard. Rather he in the middle than Jy that's for sure.

I don’t think “bounced back” is an accurate reflection.

With Wardlaw out, Powell (and Harry) should have seen increased midfield minutes. With only 3 CBA’s, he did not. This was sh*t coaching and was addressed thankfully during the week.

Fast forward to this week, he (and Harry) was given more midfield minutes and his performance reflected that.

Will feature high in our BNF.

With Wardlaw out, Powell (and Harry) should have seen increased midfield minutes. With only 3 CBA’s, he did not. This was sh*t coaching and was addressed thankfully during the week.

Fast forward to this week, he (and Harry) was given more midfield minutes and his performance reflected that.

He had one handball in the first quarter last week.
He had 5 touches and that goal assist today, but more importantly was working hard to get involved.

Finished with 22 touches, same as last week but its where he got them and how he used it today that mattered.
Thats the standard.

FWIW next week with Wardlaw returning Id like Powell to get CBA time ahead of Jy.

He had one handball in the first quarter last week.
He had 5 touches and that goal assist today, but more importantly was working hard to get involved.

Finished with 22 touches, same as last week but its where he got them and how he used it today that mattered.
Thats the standard.

FWIW next week with Wardlaw returning Id like Powell to get CBA time ahead of Jy.
Which just reiterates my point. No one in our 22 has been thrown around like Powell has this year - Mid, forward, back. We’ve seen how even our captain has struggled with that. Let alone a 22 year old trying to find his way. He was in our top 3 players first 8-10 weeks of the year playing mid. Yet when the opportunity opened up last week it wasn’t taken by the coaches to put him back in there. Instead he was thrown around all over and had an average game. Today it was rectified (so I’m guessing the coaches agree with me) and his performance reflected that.

Can’t criticise young players when they aren’t used appropriately IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it’s an idea that has been shot down, but I really wouldn’t mind a Dal Santo-like role across HB from him.

His elite traits are vision and field kicking. That is the first time a North player has broken apart a zone and kicked a 65 metre torp since Wells one 2013 Friday night against Carlton.

It was Clarko’s Paddock

I know it’s an idea that has been shot down, but I really wouldn’t mind a Dal Santo-like role across HB from him.

His elite traits are vision and field kicking. That is the first time a North player has broken apart a zone and kicked a 65 metre torp since Wells one 2013 Friday night against Carlton.

This is what I would like for him as well.

Just cruising past for a handball receive with the whole ground ahead of him to spot up a target or be part of a handball chain through the middle where being clean is so important.

this might be an over-interpretation, but Powell has been shuffled about because the coaching staff have been keen to give Phillips the best chance at getting another contract. So it's possible it's about list management as much as the 'here and now'

Which just reiterates my point. No one in our 22 has been thrown around like Powell has this year - Mid, forward, back. We’ve seen how even our captain has struggled with that. Let alone a 22 year old trying to find his way. He was in our top 3 players first 8-10 weeks of the year playing mid. Yet when the opportunity opened up last week it wasn’t taken by the coaches to put him back in there. Instead he was thrown around all over and had an average game. Today it was rectified (so I’m guessing the coaches agree with me) and his performance reflected that.

He had 4 CBA’s against the Dogs and that increased to 16 yesterday.
We were infinitely better for it.

He actually got most of his possessions in the back half as well so if he can keep his centre square time up and he pushes back to help the defence - that could be his M.O.

I doubt the coaches would give a crap about anyones opinion or ideas on here.

Do we know the exact distance the torp went?

I just hope Tom can learn to find 3-5 more cheap possies a game as he's almost top of the list of players we want getting hands on the footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back