Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
A Luke Parker with a chip on his shoulder.

Also the energy he gave us getting ready to come on from the crowd...is it worth having a swans veteran on the bench each week, not playing but stand up take the tracksuit off, crowd gets excited , they sit down.

Wheel Bobby Skilton out for the granny etc

I'll go find something else to do
Best laugh I've had all weekend, except Essendon.

Reckon Parker and Rowbottom will be an incredible rotation of we use them that way. 50:50 at CBAs in the same role. Both will get all the way through games in decent nick. Rowy is OK forward and so is Parker. I find this thought very exciting.
Not sure how best to use Adams. This thing is not the same as the others. 🤔

Let's keep him nice and fresh. Guy could be absolute dynamite through the back end of the season. Not suggesting he be kept on the bench but as Horse has said before, "Sometimes you've gotta save these blokes from themselves."

McInerney getting injured in a way 'saved Horse from himself' by the same token. Parker needed a proper run out, otherwise he would have played less than a quarter and most likely been sent back to the VFL having not 'shown enough' in the limited run out.

I enjoyed the fact that Adams was first to him when he kicked the goal, given us nuffies here have been pitting them against each other 🤣

I also had a chuckle at Grundy crashing the celebration yet when Mills kicked his goal later, every Swan also mobbed him - with the exception of Grundy who hung back to have a sip of water in the square!

I enjoyed the fact that Adams was first to him when he kicked the goal, given us nuffies here have been pitting them against each other 🤣

I also had a chuckle at Grundy crashing the celebration yet when Mills kicked his goal later, every Swan also mobbed him - with the exception of Grundy who hung back to have a sip of water in the square!

Grundy wants the captaincy confirmed. 😛

McInerney getting injured in a way 'saved Horse from himself' by the same token. Parker needed a proper run out, otherwise he would have played less than a quarter and most likely been sent back to the VFL having not 'shown enough' in the limited run out.
Agree with this. No idea what Horse would have done, but the injury to JMac sealed the deal. However, after Parkers performance, I doubt anything other than best 22 would be considered.

Similar to how Heeney got a starting mid role, and grabbed the opportunity. Suspension/injury has once again forced our hand, and has resulted in a positive outcome.

Sometimes the planets just align, so it's a really good omen for us imo.

One thing the SCG crowds know how to do is go absolutely apeshit for a special goal.

Buddy's 1000th, Jack & McVeigh's goals in their final match, then this one for Parker. Was genuine hype that reached fever pitch when the ball sailed to Parker, it was like every person in the stadium had been hanging out for Parker to kick a goal, when most rocking up probably had no idea he'd even be playing.

And they say we need marquee players!

One thing the SCG crowds know how to do is go absolutely apeshit for a special goal.

Buddy's 1000th, Jack & McVeigh's goals in their final match, then this one for Parker. Was genuine hype that reached fever pitch when the ball sailed to Parker, it was like every person in the stadium had been hanging out for Parker to kick a goal, when most rocking up probably had no idea he'd even be playing.

In a similar vein it's been really interesting over the last two home games when they flash up the player's pics and names pre game. Normally you get good applause, a rumble and the odd ROAR, for Gulden for instance. However they switched to a silly set of pics done by kids and falsetto kid's voices. The crowd completely ignores it. Big wind up opportunity lost. Similarly with the music before the team runs out. They changed that and lost some atmosphere there too.
The crowd is very sensitive to these things and Parker's goal is an example. Mills' goal was enjoyed but not the same.
It's a good crowd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a similar vein it's been really interesting over the last two home games when they flash up the player's pics and names pre game. Normally you get good applause, a rumble and the odd ROAR, for Gulden for instance. However they switched to a silly set of pics done by kids and falsetto kid's voices. The crowd completely ignores it. Big wind up opportunity lost. Similarly with the music before the team runs out. They changed that and lost some atmosphere there too.
The crowd is very sensitive to these things and Parker's goal is an example. Mills' goal was enjoyed but not the same.
It's a good crowd.

Music after goals ruins the crowd involvement too. Numerous times Sydney chant has started but been drowned out by the stupid music. It's my no.1 pet peeve. I don't understand how swans marketing etc & scg think it's a good thing. I doubt many true swans fans actually want to hear it.

It's not done at Melbourne games where you get the opportunity for some great chants because there's rarely music impeding it.

It's a good crowd.
The audio for that on the weekend was so poor like genuinely ear piercing. Think people tried to not listen to it because it was that annoying and thus it became almost dead silent

It's a good crowd.
It wasn't a falsetto kid's voice - I believe it was the voice of the kid that drew the images. I'm sure there was something on instagram or similar last week about it.

And while it may be a 'silly set of pictures' to some, its probably a thrill of a lifetime to the kid(s) involved. Not something to do too often however - once a season more than enough, and I get your broader point about it and losing the roar etc - but I quite enjoy the occasional change up in that element. The voice didn't work well however on the weekend - just not a good pitch for a footy ground.

I hate the goal music too - agree with Nuggetz with how it drowns out the ability for chants to get going at times.

It wasn't a falsetto kid's voice - I believe it was the voice of the kid that drew the images. I'm sure there was something on instagram or similar last week about it.

And while it may be a 'silly set of pictures' to some, its probably a thrill of a lifetime to the kid(s) involved. Not something to do too often however - once a season more than enough, and I get your broader point about it and losing the roar etc - but I quite enjoy the occasional change up in that element. The voice didn't work well however on the weekend - just not a good pitch for a footy ground.

I hate the goal music too - agree with Nuggetz with how it drowns out the ability for chants to get going at times.
I'm pretty certain they had the same drawings and voiceover before the Freo game too.
I love the Redkite day ones, don't need anymore though.

And agreed, the music is painful and FAR TOO LOUD!

Music after goals ruins the crowd involvement too. Numerous times Sydney chant has started but been drowned out by the stupid music. It's my no.1 pet peeve. I don't understand how swans marketing etc & scg think it's a good thing. I doubt many true swans fans actually want to hear it.

It's not done at Melbourne games where you get the opportunity for some great chants because there's rarely music impeding it.
100%

Considering the effort the club goes to to build affiliation and loyalty with members and fans missteps like these are unnecessary and nonproductive.
I'll guarantee there are better ways to involve Red Kite kids that don't cause disengagement at a key moment.
They do surveys and I for one have emailed them about this stuff so I don't get that they haven't made adjustments.

Just watched the highlights of that farewell game and reminded me of 2 things:

1. TMac in the forward line!
2. The rest of the team instantly pointing goal ward when Kieran took possession outside 50

I had also forgotten that Hanners was playing for the Saints that day which is pretty cool too.

Just watched the highlights of that farewell game and reminded me of 2 things:

1. TMac in the forward line!
2. The rest of the team instantly pointing goal ward when Kieran took possession outside 50

I had also forgotten that Hanners was playing for the Saints that day which is pretty cool too.
Hanners was one of the 4 to carry Jack and McVeigh off the field. 🤩

Considering the effort the club goes to to build affiliation and loyalty with members and fans missteps like these are unnecessary and nonproductive.
I'll guarantee there are better ways to involve Red Kite kids that don't cause disengagement at a key moment.
They do surveys and I for one have emailed them about this stuff so I don't get that they haven't made adjustments.
Each to their own. What you see as a misstep may not be seen as a misstep by others.

I don't really buy it impacts much at all - because it is highly variable anyway. One week there will be loud cheering at every name read out, other weeks barely a squeak. That is irrespective of anything else going on, or whatever things the club chooses to do.

I don't agree in any shape or form it is a 'key moment' - it might help build some excitement but that's about it, and it isn't going to win or lose a footy game. Maybe the simple fact is that very few people have raised it as a significant issue, and hence they have made a judgment call that most simply don't care too much. Just because you've emailed about it or raised it in surveys doesn't meant they have to respond - one member, is after all just one member of 70000+. I've been trying for years for them to encourage them to create a 'mini Red Zone' at the other end of the ground, or to consider opening up Premiership Club availability for Red Zone 5 for Members that live a long way from the SCG - but I'm not really disappointed that they haven't acted on it either. All one can do is put their views forward - we can't expect in the overwhelming majority of cases that it must translate into action or a response from the club.

Other issues at the ground very may well do have more substantial impacts over a longer term (like excessively loud music) - but I'd be amazed if this ranks beyond a squeak with most people. And if it really so substantial to impact any member's affiliation or loyalty, then I'd be questioning how loyal they actually are. Are they there to cheer at the team lineup, or there to watch a game of footy?

I'm pretty certain they had the same drawings and voiceover before the Freo game too.
I love the Redkite day ones, don't need anymore though.

And agreed, the music is painful and FAR TOO LOUD!
I wasn't at the Freo game so not sure. Certainly don't think they should be doing it every game or anything (and if it was a repeat of the same stuff - then it was definitely over the top) but once or twice a season to me doesn't feel like too much.

Last edited:
Each to their own. What you see as a misstep may not be seen as a misstep by others.

I don't really buy it impacts much at all - because it is highly variable anyway. One week there will be loud cheering at every name read out, other weeks barely a squeak. That is irrespective of anything else going on, or whatever things the club chooses to do.

I don't agree in any shape or form it is a 'key moment' - it might help build some excitement but that's about it, and it isn't going to win or lose a footy game. Maybe the simple fact is that very few people have raised it as a significant issue, and hence they have made a judgment call that most simply don't care too much. Just because you've emailed about it or raised it in surveys doesn't meant they have to respond - one member, is after all just one member of 70000+. I've been trying for years for them to encourage them to create a 'mini Red Zone' at the other end of the ground, or to consider opening up Premiership Club availability for Red Zone 5 for Members that live a long way from the SCG - but I'm not really disappointed that they haven't acted on it either. All one can do is put their views forward - we can't expect in the overwhelming majority of cases that it must translate into action or a response from the club.

Other issues at the ground very may well do have more substantial impacts over a longer term (like excessively loud music) - but I'd be amazed if this ranks beyond a squeak with most people. And if it really so substantial to impact any member's affiliation or loyalty, then I'd be questioning how loyal they actually are. Are they there to cheer at the team lineup, or there to watch a game of footy?

I wasn't at the Freo game so not sure. Certainly don't think they should be doing it every game or anything (and if it was a repeat of the same stuff - then it was definitely over the top) but once or twice a season to me doesn't feel like too much.
I'm judging by the buzz of the crowd, or lack of it, to make those comments. I see it as important, you don't, fair enough. Case closed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back