AFL Player #29: Jake Kelly - Announces Retirement. Thanks Bull! 2/9

Remove this Banner Ad

The wing experiment has to end, is just a far better defender
In fairness the wing experiment was more about covering for Martin than it was him actually playing wing. I do agree. He is a back pocket or he is not in the side.

He's like a defender who's been caught in some sort of timewarp minus the DeLorean, sent forward in time from 1983 where you could get away with an abysmal kick and slower than a wet week if you were a decent 1v1 player.

Andrea Bocelli said it best - time to say goodbye.

I know he does not move the footy well enough and he would not be in my plans next year but his average ball movement is maybe 0.5 percent of an issue in our average losses. The defensive back pocket is not they guy who should be held responsible for our slow ball movement.

I know he does not move the footy well enough and he would not be in my plans next year but his average ball movement is maybe 0.5 percent of an issue in our average losses. The defensive back pocket is not they guy who should be held responsible for our slow ball movement.
True, he does more good than bad that doesnt get recognised

Should be sent to a small forward to lock down or he shouldn't play. Not sure who he was on last night but surely Keays was a fairly straight forward matchup. He's got to be close to delist material now

People still have the misconception that this guy is a great defender and that justifies his selection, but he's not. Maybe in years gone by, but not now.

Can't kick, average pace, rated one of the worst defenders in the comp this year.

Please, move him on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is maybe 50% the player he was and he was no star .
Problem we have is if we move Martin to a wing and Redman plays half back then we literally have Kelly and McGrath to play back pocket and nothing else.
He is done but it seems back pocket is another spot we need to fill .

It is infuriating how he slows us down. Many times had clear options but stops then kicks to a contest. The only speed coming out of the back is McGrath and he just turns it over.
I do not know what is worse.

I have no idea why we even recruited him in the first place.

And because he's essentially been a best 22 player for the past 3 years we haven't prioritised finding anyone better. Who's going to step into his role when he's (hopefully) delisted? 0-gamer El-Hawli?
At the time I thought it could be smart list management. Pay overs to a guy in a position we desperately need in lieu of paying significant overs to the kids on our list.

Now his contract is up, surely it is time he moves on

He was recruited to lock down on the small forwards eg Cody Weightman

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #29: Jake Kelly - Announces Retirement. Thanks Bull! 2/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back