Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II]

Remove this Banner Ad

No.

Will plays on-ball while Taylor plays no discernible position.
As poor as Taylor was last week, he’s a much better option at HF or on a wing then Will.

Which Melbourne based club do you think Phillips would make top four as inside mid? Tigers? Geelong? Any others?
Collingwood. Not now but in two or three years. Their midfield are old but he have a chance when they retire. So maybe.
*. They'd be screwed without Merrett. So maybe there as well. Don't think much of their other mids. Edging toward yeah.
Hawthorn. Yeah.
Richmond. Hmmmm. Maybe.
St Kilda. Yeah.
Geeloing. Hmmmm. Maybe.

Melbourne, Carlton and Footscray obviously not.

A good post. My only quibble would be retaining Phillips and Lazaro - list spots are going to be tight, and it may be one or the other

I would prefer Lazzaro and Phillips on the list next year instead of Shiels, Greenwood, Drury, Free, Taylor, Hansen Jnr?

I think the more likely outcome is they would try to find another home to kickstart their career elsewhere, but my preference is to try to keep them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Get a grip. Jy is our captain and has earned two Syds. So far Will has ....................
Jy is becoming one of the most under appreciated players in the history of the club.

Talk about Phillips being a "shinboner "... what the **** does that make Jy? A double shinboner?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Jy is becoming one of the most under appreciated players in the history of the club.

Talk about Phillips being a "shinboner "... what the **** does that make Jy? A double shinboner?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

A triple IMO.

As poor as Taylor was last week, he’s a much better option at HF or on a wing then Will.
I think what his inclusion (and Stephens') actually suggests is that we still lack solid depth in outside runners, Scott and Kerch notwithstanding.

Replace Shiels next year?
Should replace shiels now

Shiels is playing on a flank with the odd stint in the middle and wing

You can have wilphil and jy rotate flank and mid

And we have wings covered with stephens/CT/Scott atm and could see Kerch stints on the wing too

Should replace shiels now

Shiels is playing on a flank with the odd stint in the middle and wing

You can have wilphil and jy rotate flank and mid

And we have wings covered with stephens/CT/Scott atm and could see Kerch stints in the wing too
Has it ever occured to you that Shiels is in the side for on-field coaching? Pretty essential for such a young team? ¯⁠\⁠⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠⁠/⁠¯

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has it ever occured to you that Shiels is in the side for on-field coaching? Pretty essential for such a young team? ¯⁠\⁠⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠⁠/⁠¯
He can go be a part time coach on the bench

Not waste valuable game time that could be used on players part of our long term future

I'm getting the feeling that Phillips getting games at the end of the year and getting good results as a tagger could be a trade value add tactic.

LDU, Wardlaw, Simpkin, Powell, Sheezel, McKercher + potentially FOS or Smilie...

As tough as it is, he is 6th and soon to be 7th for selection in the guts.

Looking from the outside, it is impossible to know exactly how his development is being managed. But whatever the plans are, I am sure he and the coaching team have great communication and he is well aware of where he is and what is required of him.

Some of the suggestions about the writing being on the wall for him or him potentially choosing to leave at the end of the year, on the basis of being dropped to the VFL this week or at other times this year, to me seem incredibly unlikely. I'm not saying I think he is a definite to stay (although I hope he does) but it certainly wouldn't be because of some disillusionment over being dropped unfairly and without explanation. Just because we don't get a detailed reasoning behind every selection doesn't mean within the club there isn't good internal communication.

A few weeks ago, the sky was falling in and Clarko had lost the plot, when he subbed Phillips off against the Pies, then it became apparent that he was tiring badly and WP had actually told Clarko himself he was out of gas.

I am only guessing, but to me, I think this latest return to the VFL is more likely part of a longer term plan for his development and it may well have been planned in advance. He has had a uniquely disjointed start to his footy career. Being one of class of 2020 Victorian juniors, who missed their final year of U18 footy was bad enough, then you add the glandular fever in his early senior years.

There are obvious flaws to his game and fitness that need to be developed. I would think Clarko and the coach team, see this best being addressed with a combination of VFL and AFL football. VFL to work on specific areas, try new things and learn in a lower standard, less pressured environment. Then AFL to see how he is progressing and for him to experience the standard of footy he needs to reach for and be able to consistently produce.

I think is far more likely that this return to VFL, is nothing to do with picking Stephens or Taylor over him, but more likely something that was planned earlier and after this latest run of four AFL games, considered the best move for his development.

Looking from the outside, it is impossible to know exactly how his development is being managed. But whatever the plans are, I am sure he and the coaching team have great communication and he is well aware of where he is and what is required of him.

Some of the suggestions about the writing being on the wall for him or him potentially choosing to leave at the end of the year, on the basis of being dropped to the VFL this week or at other times this year, to me seem incredibly unlikely. I'm not saying I think he is a definite to stay (although I hope he does) but it certainly wouldn't be because of some disillusionment over being dropped unfairly and without explanation. Just because we don't get a detailed reasoning behind every selection doesn't mean within the club there isn't good internal communication.

A few weeks ago, the sky was falling in and Clarko had lost the plot, when he subbed Phillips off against the Pies, then it became apparent that he was tiring badly and WP had actually told Clarko himself he was out of gas.

I am only guessing, but to me, I think this latest return to the VFL is more likely part of a longer term plan for his development and it may well have been planned in advance. He has had a uniquely disjointed start to his footy career. Being one of class of 2020 Victorian juniors, who missed their final year of U18 footy was bad enough, then you add the glandular fever in his early senior years.

There are obvious flaws to his game and fitness that need to be developed. I would think Clarko and the coach team, see this best being addressed with a combination of VFL and AFL football. VFL to work on specific areas, try new things and learn in a lower standard, less pressured environment. Then AFL to see how he is progressing and for him to experience the standard of footy he needs to reach for and be able to consistently produce.

I think is far more likely that this return to VFL, is nothing to do with picking Stephens or Taylor over him, but more likely something that was planned earlier and after this latest run of four AFL games, considered the best move for his development.
I agree I think people are overreacting. I think it's part of a management program they have him on. Trust those who know. My guess is he'll have more impact next year.

Player Watch #29: Will Phillips [Part II]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back