Player Watch #3 Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

adams1.jpg

Player Profile:

Drafted by GWS with Pick 13 in the 2011 National Draft, Taylor Adams made his AFL debut in Round 5 of the 2012 season. After 31 games with the Giants the midfielder moved to Collingwood where he went on to play 10 seasons and five finals campaign for the Magpies. He joins the Sydney Swans with a wealth of experience including a Grand Final appearance in 2018. In 2020 he was named the club’s Best and Fairest and selected in the All-Australian team.

DOB: 20 Sep 1993
Draft: 2011
RECRUITED FROM: Collingwood

Last edited:
Coming from someone who's just about bagging every player on the list as well as the coach , got a mirror at home
Like most of us, on Saturday night and for a while afterwards, Kingy was mighty peed off at the team, the coach, the club, every one that was involved in that debacle, and I get that, I was too, but four days later, his head has cooled and now it's onwards and upwards.

Coming from someone who's just about bagging every player on the list as well as the coach , got a mirror at home

Am I ? I said we will win this week, think I defended a few but ok

If we have a fit list, I can't see Adams featuring in our best 23. It would be personally devastating for him given the way he exited the Pies and he was very open about his heart ache and regret on missing their flag last year.

I listened to a long interview he gave in a podcast mid season and it seemed clear to me he still held a flame for the Pies which makes sense, given his move was largely driven by his manager. It's akin to a parent telling a child to break it off with a partner for objective reasons even though they are in love.

With this in mind, if a Jack Gunston like situation was to arise where he wanted to go back to Collingwood (or any other Melbourne club) and they were happy to have him, I think we should let him go. I think he's going to be rapidly overtaken by younger players and will spend alot of time in the VFL.

63% gametime last week and this week, unless my eyes deceive me, appears to be 52%

Is he being managed injury or fitness wise? If not, then for a senior player those ToG stats might be untenable with players returning.

Cleary had around 84% ( second in pressure acts) and Campbell 80%.

🤔

Nah you gotta perform

I get he does team things and puts his body on the line but his skills are not there and the kicking is a bad look

If he loses his spot it's on him

Yep have to pick the best 22(23) no one is owed a spot

63% gametime last week and this week, unless my eyes deceive me, appears to be 52%

Is he being managed injury or fitness wise? If not, then for a senior player those ToG stats might be untenable with players returning.

Cleary had around 84% ( second in pressure acts) and Campbell 80%.

🤔
Usually gets injured this time of year. Possibly trying to minimise the chance of it happening again.

Also not sure what he adds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His skills both by hand and foot are absolutely despicable. Not really providing much of anything atm
My Collingwood friends (I feel dirty saying that) all were happy we signed him because they all felt he was prone to soft tissue injuries and a lousy kick.......

I feel like his skills have gotten worse and are arguably getting worse with each passing week. It's almost like he's aware that he's not nailing the basics and it's now becoming a 'thing' for him, whereas earlier in the season he was doing enough right that him being rough around the edges didn't really matter.

I feel like his skills have gotten worse and are arguably getting worse with each passing week. It's almost like he's aware that he's not nailing the basics and it's now becoming a 'thing' for him, whereas earlier in the season he was doing enough right that him being rough around the edges didn't really matter.
The worrying thing for me was his inability to move effectively at centre bounce.

There were 2 stand-out occasions where Shiel broke away from him with ease & Adams didn’t chase.

He just looks injured.

The worrying thing for me was his inability to move effectively at centre bounce.

There were 2 stand-out occasions where Shiel broke away from him with ease & Adams didn’t chase.

He just looks injured.
Oh well if you're judging by our mids chasing I'd delist them all. That group looks absolutely ****ed at present LOL

(Parker aside)

Other than the tag he did on Neale, he really has struggled for impact. With LPs last 2 games, Campbell and Cleary doing well forward of centre, Chad, Paps and JMac to come back all as potential HF / CB options and even Foxy to return, he should be well back in the queue for a HF / mid spot. The only argument for him is his experience but we've got plenty of that now.

If he is selected ahead of LP, Campbell, Cleary or anyone else, it will be out of obligation given we brought him across from the Pies which would be a massive mistake in September.

Other than the tag he did on Neale, he really has struggled for impact. With LPs last 2 games, Campbell and Cleary doing well forward of centre, Chad, Paps and JMac to come back all as potential HF / CB options and even Foxy to return, he should be well back in the queue for a HF / mid spot. The only argument for him is his experience but we've got plenty of that now.

If he is selected ahead of LP, Campbell, Cleary or anyone else, it will be out of obligation given we brought him across from the Pies which would be a massive mistake in September.
And that's the elephant in the room. Obligation and his relationship with Grundy. I think give him a rest against the Crows and hope he comes up for the QF. We've made our bed.

What I’m worried about , obligation.

He isn’t best 22 imo

And that's the elephant in the room. Obligation and his relationship with Grundy. I think give him a rest against the Crows and hope he comes up for the QF. We've made our bed.
As in pick him for a QF? There would be zero selection integrity in that and would be an insult to whoever was to miss out.

I just get so frustrated that we haven't given players like Adams and Grundy a break in the second half of the year.

Adams was good in the first half of the year, now he looks busted.

Look at the energy Cleary gave us last night when he got a chance.

Give Adams and Grundy a rest Longmire, ffs! Stop asking them how they feel and if they want to play and use your own eyes.

I just get so frustrated that we haven't given players like Adams and Grundy a break in the second half of the year.

Adams was good in the first half of the year, now he looks busted.

Look at the energy Cleary gave us last night when he got a chance.

Give Adams and Grundy a rest Longmire, ffs! Stop asking them how they feel and if they want to play and use your own eyes.

Grundy wants to win a flag he's not going to blow himself up

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #3 Taylor Adams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back