AFL Autopsy 4 point loss to the powa

Remove this Banner Ad

Menzie subbed for Shiel???
I'd hope it was injury related.. because clearly a tall for small was the right option.

Our lack of output from Wright and Weid was damaging.. they didn't even compete/bring the ball to ground.. just outmarked and outplayed all game. Of course the lack of a whistle hurts as Alir just held more and more as the game went on without a call. Couple of really bad ones missed but I still feel that Wright needs to move more.. get out of the lead.. didn't stick a mark all night.

Also Shiel very ineffectual as sub.. not a great choice.. he is an accumulator and not a burst player.. wrong selection imho.

All that aside, I refuse to be upset about us pushing a likely top 2 side all the way until after the siren.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Proud tonight. Much better than last week's pile of turd.

Shiel wasn't ready tonight. Menzie deserved to stay on.
Much better game from Parish. Phillips was excellent. Hobbs and Caldwell were tireless and Merrett was awesome.
Wright was robbed early but well held and a much more involved game from Weideman. Not unhappy, and even though we still have only beaten one top 8 team I'm convinced that if we make the 8 we've got the ability to win one.

Got what we deserved. Wasted a bunch of gettable chances (Weideman gtfo) and some horrendously poor tactical decisions from the coaching box.
1. Subbing of Menzie over either of our tall forwards
2. Moving Hobbs out of the midfield in the 4th for Shiel once he was subbed on.

Also, every ****ing u16 team knows that after the Parish point with 1.20 left, Port were going long down the middle and trying to knock it on at all costs.

We should have had 3-4 behind the centre square ready for it and shut it down
We had none, and instead we had 4 guys fly at the ball FFS.
Also, repeat stoppages is the key when the ball was deep inside Ports 50 with a minute left. A dump kick to no one in particular by Martin is literally THE LAST ****ING THING YOU SHOULD DO. Gets picked off by Houston and the game is over.

No game awareness whatsoever once again in tight moments. which unfortunately is a major theme for us the last 12 months.

Effort in the 2nd half was massive, some very poor decisions and lack of game awareness once again wrote our tombstone for us.

TLDR; I'm getting too old for this shit.

Merret some amazing acts. I feel like we lost by things we know late.

Weideman a bad miss - we know he is not up to it
Shiel - no impact too fumbly and the sub for Menzies hurt
Parish - sums him up for me so close to elite but poor disposal and is not the answer/ worth elite coin. Clean and almost amazing but ultimately missing what he should kick sums up parish

Merret - such a captain.
And the best game Phillips has ever played, good on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy 4 point loss to the powa

Remove this Banner Ad

Back