AFL Autopsy 4 point loss to the powa

Remove this Banner Ad

Missing the point of my original post McGrath provides nothing for a number 1 from 2016. Not saying everyone else was s**t yes those 3 were also good.
Who cares about draft pick? It means sweet fa.

McGrath plays defence. Parish midfield. Those three kept us in the game, Parish was one of the main reasons we lost the game.

confused jeff bridges GIF

Missing the point of my original post McGrath provides nothing for a number 1 from 2016. Not saying everyone else was s**t yes those 3 were also good.

He's been solid all year, particularly when the defense has had inside 50's raining down on them time after time due to mistakes up the ground. Has been one of our surest kicks coming out of D50/wing and is composed with his hands, in a position he's only started making his own this year.

Last edited:
Man we did so much right and wrong at the same time there.

1st quarter we were genuinely awful, and very lucky to be close.

But 2nd and 3rd quarter genuinely dominated by us. We missed chances in the 2nd, then were a bit stiff that we dominated the 2nd half of the 3rd in the pouring rain to kick a solid 0.3 rather than kicking away.

They looked far too good for us the first 10-15mins of the last, so to then come back from 17 down with 7mins left to hit the lead is something else. Really good ticker.

And yet - good teams then don’t lose from that position.
So I don’t know. A lot of good, clear negatives to take out of that.

One thing is for sure - dont sub Menzie again.

Genuinely sorry about offloading the Weid on to you guys. You should sue us for cruel and unusual punishment.
We'll return him in good faith for the measly price of Petracca.

No hard feelings will be had.

That was just a total tragedy.

We should have been much further ahead at 3qtr time.

Parish couldn’t hit a barn door. Can’t finish in front of goal. Will only ever be A minus at best.

Lots of Weid bashing. Missed goal very bad. But take a breath, his second half was full of much, much better contests.
Agree re Weid. Okay, he missed a sitter, but he also gave us connection between the arcs that we didn't have last week. I still think he should be dropped for Baldwin, but he was much better tonight than previously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually thought wed get pumped today and then the first 20 minutes i was like, yeh

The fight back was huge, we were the best side after qtr time. Smashed them in i50s, Clearances and CPs and half of it was in the wet, which aligns with finals style footy

Huge positives

Parish - Take the good with the bad. Good to see him hitting the scoreboard, 4 very gettable goals, unfortunately didnt finish. Remember hes missed alot of training, games, kicking ect. He misses some kicks, he hits some nice ones. I know most just want him to fail and cull him. Tonight showed Zerrett, Parish, Stringer, Hobbs, Caldwell can work together going forward. Remember Stringer only has 2 years left really

Phillips - Easily been our best player the last 2 weeks. Brilliant again tonight. Some people on here owe him an apology. Having a great year. Needed on the list next year

Hobbs - Ive never doubted him and nothing hes doing surprises me. We knew we had a Big Body Bull when we drafted him, Dodoro said it was what the fans had wanted and they wernt trading the pick with him there, no matter what. Has all the tools, carried us into the contest in the and off his own back

Perkins - Tail of 2 halves. Close to his best first half for the club in terms of getting the pill and influence, just bellied a few and didnt use it well but we know thats not an issue with his game. His 2nd half was terrible, defensive efforts deplorable. Killer instinct and playing as if his lifes on the line isnt there, i thought hed be one who lifts for the moments

Weideman - I know most hate him, no goals in 5 weeks, missed an easy goal, yeh yeh yeh. Scott will tell you he did a great job on Aliir and its reason we didnt want to sub him as that had a huge impact on the result. We do need more offensivily, but there isnt much hes keeping out of the side. Voss cant ruck, Bryan cant play fwd, H.Jones injured. Baldwin should be the one playing FWD in the vfl as good as hes been back. Its his only way to an AFL game

Zerk - Super game, huge moments for me

Laverde - Bathed Dixon when he had the game atleast 50/50, undersized severly but body work got it done

Caldwell - Huge, huge last qtr. Huge influence. The goals were immense, but some of the tackles, gathers and finding the pill and getting territory elite. Almost got us across the line in the last 15 minutes by himself

Menzie - Never drop him from the 22 again. His contest, halving the contest he shouldnt, skill and pressure is just too important. Thought Guelfi maybe shouldve been subbed instead but really hard call to make
absolutely agree with all of this, but i don't think you're giving enough credit to caldwell. imo he's probably the best player in our team over the past couple of games. he's consistently trying and playing no matter the result. he's been a jet this year and deserves more credit

absolutely agree with all of this, but i don't think you're giving enough credit to caldwell. imo he's probably the best player in our team over the past couple of games. he's consistently trying and playing no matter the result. he's been a jet this year and deserves more credit
Didnt really notice him much live last week

But gave him a huge wrap for today and hes been very good without Parish there with more opportunity over that 4-5 weeks

I think i knew he had this in him, maybe outside of that 32 disp vs tigers

Bad luck fellas tough loss, really feel like this is a break year for Macgrath former number 1 draft pick isn't providing enough has no real weapons is a bit vanilla trade for some value while you can. Cant pin loss on Parish still a gun and a number 5 pick.
What's your main account?

He was s**t.
That simply bullshit eth.

He lead us in clearances, contested possessions, tackles and score involvements against the midfield most consider to be the best in the comp.

Yes he was wasteful in front of goal, but he had less clangers than Zak Butters and Mason Redman.

Was it his finest game overall? No.
Was he shit? Only someone with a completely irrational set against him would think so

Good and entertaining game overall. Loomed a bit ugly but we managed to settle, helped by them missing a few.
Despite being smaller than them I really like our attack at the contest. It did fall away at times but we stuck with it.

Did enough to win, but we just make too many mistakes at the worst times. And what's more annoying is that most of them are repeat mistakes that we should be learning from.

Merett, Hobbs and Caldwell were all very good. Probably Phillips best game. Langford very good as well although I'll never understand why he didn't go back a take a shot from about 50 in the 3rd. The option he chose was never on.

Outside of Langford the forward line is struggling. Wright and Weid don't work well together it seems and struggle to mark or bring the ball to ground. Weid's second efforts on a few occasions were lacking as well. 3rd or 4th week in a row where our lack of a genuinely quick small forward who can help apply pressure and lock thr ball in was really felt.

That simply bullshit eth.

He lead us in clearances, contested possessions, tackles and score involvements against the midfield most consider to be the best in the comp.

Yes he was wasteful in front of goal, but he had less clangers than Zak Butters and Mason Redman.

Was it his finest game overall? No.
Was he s**t? Only someone with a completely irrational set against him would think do
He constantly botched moves forward, and missed 4 very easy shots at goal.

Look throughout this thread. Plenty agree with me. Not just "people who have an irrational hatred for him". Only someone who wants to defend him at every post would disagree.

We also won X score by 2 goals tonight

Basically Port took their chances and we didnt
They were poor early with 2.7 as well.

In the end it was an arm wrestle and we lost by a thumping 50m roost that cleared the goal by a few cm after the siren

One of those games really. Win or lose this is a better Essendon to watch

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy 4 point loss to the powa

Remove this Banner Ad

Back