AFL Autopsy 4 point loss to the powa

Remove this Banner Ad

That was just a total tragedy.

We should have been much further ahead at 3qtr time.

Parish couldn’t hit a barn door. Can’t finish in front of goal. Will only ever be A minus at best.

Lots of Weid bashing. Missed goal very bad. But take a breath, his second half was full of much, much better contests.
Agree that the bashing is unfair. Guy clearly trying hard to impact the game, just has no confidence.

Run for a couple of weeks in the 2s, or until he's got his confidence back. Think he could still be a handy player for us

Is it Parish’s fault for not having enough composure? Is it the umpire missing the hold and the push on Wright? Is it Weideman’s fault for missing that kick on goal? Is it the dangerous bump that wasn’t paid to Zerk? Is it Hobbs’ fault for hesitating in the middle? Is it the lack of adaptability in our ruck strategy when it rains? Is it the diving on a clothesline effort that conned a free? Is it the clangery disposal in Q1?

And on the other hand, can we celebrate Langford’s speccy, getting the game back in Q1 red time instead of coughing it up, Weideman finally getting a run in the ruck like he was supposed to when we recruited him (and a couple of clearances to boot), Caldwell’s couple of ripper goals, Stringer regaining some form in front of the big sticks, Perkins starting to breakout, Merrett and Heppell combining on that back flank, Zerk’s consistent 11 out of 10 defensive efforts, Guelfi’s one percenters…

Amazing how differently a game is viewed on the basis of whether someone’s hand touched that ball a whole inch sooner.

Developmentally that was a good game for us. Had every opportunity to be Essington and somehow didn’t.
Thank you Lore, voice of reason

Fans will always feel the result, not the process, but in reality we went toe to toe with them. I would say on balance deserved to win. Lots to admire.

Caldwell is my guy. Really wanted that to be a triumph for him. Very disappointing.

There are tactical and execution errors to point to, but I hope people save the “this f’ing club” stuff for times when we don’t show up, which has been very rare this year.

Shiel is not the bloke I want going forward with this midfield group. He is a classic downhill skier and if Ben Hobbs had of started in the middle in the last quarter the result would've been different. I see no need to persist with Shiel, give Tsatas the start next week.

On CPH2065 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has improved a bit so I'll give him that but he's also one of the last blokes I'd have kicking for my life so him & Parish in the same side is a killer.

Thought we played very well in parts against a side that hasn't lost in 3 months but disappointing to lose to them by under a goal again. Hobbs in the middle was so influential his contest work made a huge difference. His ceiling is very high and we should be giving him a lot more time in the centre square going forward. Parish's disposal by foot was ordinary with some bad turnovers and missed shots on goal. Weideman's confidence looks shot and he needs to go back to the 2s to find some form and belief, plus work with a sports psychologist

Umm the game were parish kept you in it for 3qtrs where he got 4 clearances ( most of game) 5 tackles (most of game) 18 pressure acts, 338 metres gained. Mcgrath 5 pressure acts, 1 tackle, 14 disposals. What game were you watching??
The one where he consistently turned the ball over and kicked 4 behinds.

As far keeping us in it? Merrett, Caldwell, Hobbs kept us in it. He was shit.

I'm suffering from the 1st day of Dry July being a Saturday of all ******* days, then I have to sit through that ending!

Life can be so cruel.

I expected to lose comfortably but it still hurts to lose like that. Plenty to take out of the game though, including plenty of learnings (yep, I went there)

I'm preparing for dry August.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alir that cheating flog literally held onto Wright the entire game. Not one free.
Allir does that. Master of the dark arts defender. You need to either play through it or someone needs to engage him similarly and split the umpire calls (they tend to not call holds on him either).
Bloody good defender. Needed to get the matchup switched. Weid isn't the one to do it. We don't have that player.

Umpiring was bad both ways. Classic case of they were just that little bit better than us.
Rozee and butters a class above. But then merrett was sensational too.

Umm the game were parish kept you in it for 3qtrs where he got 4 clearances ( most of game) 5 tackles (most of game) 18 pressure acts, 338 metres gained. Mcgrath 5 pressure acts, 1 tackle, 14 disposals. What game were you watching??
But those metres are not really gained when you’re kicking it over the head of a wide open teammate straight to the opposition .. or kicking points when you have a great look at goal. It just straight comes back over your head.

The stats look good and maybe Parish was better than McGrath. But you won’t get a lot of love for Parish here tonight I wouldn’t think.

I dunno I genuinely feel like our players will grow from this unlike other close losses we've had over the years. They could've rolled over and died in the 4th but fought back to give us a chance. Merrett is the captain we've been crying out for. We're going places, just need better players in a few positions (Weids one...)
Sort of loss that should solidify the group and sting so much it forces them to be better. Close to the top teams but so many areas to improve on

So many close games over the last few years where we are in front with a minute or two left and we get rolled because we don’t know how to lock it down.

When Parish missed that shot (for his fourth behind), I msgd my mate “what us get rolled now.”

So predictable.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bad luck guys , you had the chance to lock the ball in and close the game out , what I am surprised about , is that no one has mentioned that when Houston kicked that goal , after the final siren had sounded , he came in on an arc , which by the letter of the law , is play on , Goal should have been disallowed, have a look at it guys .

The one where he consistently turned the ball over and kicked 4 behinds.

As far keeping us in it? Merrett, Caldwell, Hobbs kept us in it. He was s**t.
Missing the point of my original post McGrath provides nothing for a number 1 from 2016. Not saying everyone else was shit yes those 3 were also good.

Missing the point of my original post McGrath provides nothing for a number 1 from 2016. Not saying everyone else was s**t yes those 3 were also good.

Mate, I think you’ve run your race.

Not the time or place for you, for some reason, to be justifying why McGrath shouldn’t have been pick 1 seven years ago

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy 4 point loss to the powa

Remove this Banner Ad

Back