AFL Autopsy 4 point loss to the powa

Remove this Banner Ad

Great effort to get back in a winning position. Port missed some easy chances too. Heartbreaking to lose but we were very lucky Port were not 6 up at the end of the first.

Too many handballs to players under pressure at the start of the game too.

Caldwell, Hobbs excellent. Perkins, Durham go missing too much.

Parish was Jekyl & Hyde, some great passes then some terrible misses. Weid just had to nail that goal chance too.

Anyway, Bombers of last year lose that by 40.

Is it Parish’s fault for not having enough composure? Is it the umpire missing the hold and the push on Wright? Is it Weideman’s fault for missing that kick on goal? Is it the dangerous bump that wasn’t paid to Zerk? Is it Hobbs’ fault for hesitating in the middle? Is it the lack of adaptability in our ruck strategy when it rains? Is it the diving on a clothesline effort that conned a free? Is it the clangery disposal in Q1?

And on the other hand, can we celebrate Langford’s speccy, getting the game back in Q1 red time instead of coughing it up, Weideman finally getting a run in the ruck like he was supposed to when we recruited him (and a couple of clearances to boot), Caldwell’s couple of ripper goals, Stringer regaining some form in front of the big sticks, Perkins starting to breakout, Merrett and Heppell combining on that back flank, Zerk’s consistent 11 out of 10 defensive efforts, Guelfi’s one percenters…

Amazing how differently a game is viewed on the basis of whether someone’s hand touched that ball a whole inch sooner.

Developmentally that was a good game for us. Had every opportunity to be Essington and somehow didn’t.
Only one of those things was consistent across the entire match - scumpire maggot dogs refusing to call a free when Aliir held his opponent in a marking contest. Got worse as the game went on and was the difference on the day.

They caught us of guard to start the 4th. How & why will be much of the focus on Monday I suspect.

Oh well.
I think they did that because of the sub change. Before that Hobbs and Menzie were both on. The sub changed the dynamic to our detriment.

I’m resisting the urge to snap back at specific naysayers on here

But we were 4 inches from beating the form team of the comp in weather that in theory suits them. We wasted a lot of chances and got absolutely zero from our key forward. But you can’t say we played badly. Pretty excellent team performance.

On the parish bashing, and agree his kicking was off, he had 7 tackles, 7 marks in the wet, 8 score involvements and led the clearances (with flips flipper)

I take that game
I reckon we've found a good balance with Merrett, parish, stringer, Caldwell, Hobbs and Perkins.

Reckon Perkins will see less when tsatas is ready and stringer will go in much less when setterfield is back

Might be a case that Shiel = depth

No use making finals if we can't win one or more of them. I think we are impostors to our ladder position and this next run of games will shake us out. We would only be making up the numbers in finals this year, just like too many times previously.
Would you be saying this if we had won tonight?

We still have a bunch of weaknesses but we’re overall a better side than we realise I reckon.

That hurts. I didn't expect us to get that close pre-game, so on one hand I'm impressed and glad we were up for the fight. On the other, when you get that close and there were multiple chances there to clinch the game, it hurts. Our marking inside 50 really needs to get sorted out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Direct opponent henry was much more influential. Got well beaten defensively and head to head.

Sure Henry was better but was rotating through both wings and back pockets. Not like a head to head match up.

We're having a crack and refusing to give up which means this group both want and believe they can play finals. Our decision making has improved but composure and skill execution are holding us back.
The composure and skill execution will come. Love your post.

I'm suffering from the 1st day of Dry July being a Saturday of all ****ing days, then I have to sit through that ending!

Life can be so cruel.

I expected to lose comfortably but it still hurts to lose like that. Plenty to take out of the game though, including plenty of learnings (yep, I went there)

You don't get it man. It was never about the win or loss. It was always about how we go about it.

FWIW I had us losing to Freo, Port, Adelaide and Geelong and still making the 8. So this isn't coming from a doomsday angle. Not that making the 8 was ever the pass mark anyway.

It's the fact that we've gone two weeks seeing the same BS, that's when it's gotta be called out. Scott and the coaches should be privy to same feedback loops as the players. And it's dumb things like this that need to be kinked out before we even think about being able to snag the matches that we're a genuine chance in
Aliens_Hudson1.jpg

They caught us of guard to start the 4th. How & why will be much of the focus on Monday I suspect.

Oh well.
Coach has to wear some blame. Poor sub.

Good quarters 2 and 3 but really poor 1 and 4.

Players rightly were in a get it forward wet weather territory game in the last qtr but the coaching team instead took a get numbers behind the ball structure. Needed to have more even numbers ahead of the ball.

Even the last kick it was just wright. Is usually Menzie as well.

Poor choice of sub. Shiel is a bit fumbly, poor at splitting contest or scrambling at the best of times so subbing Menzie for him was a confusing decision.

Menzie lacks class and im not his biggest fan but working hard to split a contest and getting to the right spots is literally the only reason he gets a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy 4 point loss to the powa

Remove this Banner Ad

Back