5th Ashes Test England v Australia July 27-31 1930hrs @ The Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

2-2 would be a dismal failure to collapse to from 2-0 and heads needs to roll. Its no victory.

Alternatively this is a massive opportunity to nail the soap dodgers with a decisive 3-1 series whitewash on their own dungheap and shut the whining up once and for all.

As an aside - bringing in Marsh from the clouds due to injury alone and for him to be close to our best player in the last two test makes a mockery of Australia's selection policy of names over form. A series stalemate will come down to shit team selection and hideous captaincy and coaching.

England smash Australia this Test and its 2-2.. who takes away the most positives?
England would be claiming to even if the lost 5-0.

But, probably England (putting aside who holds the trophy). While it was a draw, so far there has only been one game where a team really dominated. All other games could have gone either way until quite late in piece and fluctuated. England have got better as the series went on, and/or Australia worse, Wood being available and Lyon not having a fair bit to do with that. If it ends 2-2 that trend possibly continues.
Both sides have had some complete brainfarts, England's largely their declarations and lack of. Australia the inexplicable approach in the field when under pressure and regular inability to score more than 35 runs. I don't think its been a smart series by either side, entertaining without being good cricket a lot of the time.

Absolutely desperate for the Aussies to win (or at least draw) this game, for me this is just as important as the last 4 games in the series - it doesn't matter to me that the urn has been retained.

Lifting the urn at the Oval in 2019 after losing the test and drawing the series felt very hollow, it will feel even moreso if we lose this given we didn't have wild celebrations at the 4th test in Machester this time.

This is really legacy stuff for a bunch of this team on their last Ashes tour (Smith, Warner, Khawaja, Starc, Hazlewood), to say they won a series in England - which is the greatest achievement in test cricket (along with winning in India).

Absolutely desperate for the Aussies to win (or at least draw) this game, for me this is just as important as the last 4 games in the series - it doesn't matter to me that the urn has been retained.

Lifting the urn at the Oval in 2019 after losing the test and drawing the series felt very hollow, it will feel even moreso if we lose this given we didn't have wild celebrations at the 4th test in Machester this time.

This is really legacy stuff for a bunch of this team on their last Ashes tour (Smith, Warner, Khawaja, Starc, Hazlewood), to say they won a series in England - which is the greatest achievement in test cricket (along with winning in India).

agree, be nice to win to simply say 3-1 and cop that.

No pressure AFAIAC.

We have retained the Ashes, that's all that counts.
Would like a win but look forward to the pommy bleating about should coulda woulda if the manage 2-2View attachment 1757152

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
That one of Tears Morgan is hilarious. :laughing:

Even if we flog their arses off in this Test, they will still say they should have won the series 4-1...

1st Test: "If we didn't declare on Day 1 we would have won"
2nd Test: "If Bairstow wasn't stumped we would have won"
3rd Test: "If we had... oh wait, we won that one, nevermind"
4th Test: "If Day 5 wasn't washed-out we would have won"

That's amazing that the fans aren't all in on the bazball moral victory tour.

But great news for you 👍
If they'd have won at Old Trafford, you wouldn't have been able to get a ticket for love nor money. The experts reckon 2-2 going into this would have made it the biggest test match ever. I'm not sure I subscribe to that view. I really haven't got the sense of Ashes fever these past few weeks. Since home tests went behind the Sky paywall, it feels like cricket in England has been pushed to the fringes. I remember 2005 and it was definitely more in the public consciousness. This has been average quality compared to that one. In 05, you had a truly great team not quite at its best against an excellent team that was right at its peak.

How long till Pat loses the toss? No doubt we will be batting in over cast swinging conditions soon…

17 mins and please bat first here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Evening lads. Let’s get this. Buckle up

(Lucky this is only a 5 test series. One more and I reckon the missus would leave me. Let’s make the most of this one)

Just blame Bairstow

That one of Tears Morgan is hilarious. :laughing:

Even if we flog their arses off in this Test, they will still say they should have won the series 4-1...

1st Test: "If we didn't declare on Day 1 we would have won"
2nd Test: "If Bairstow wasn't stumped we would have won"
3rd Test: "If we had... oh wait, we won that one, nevermind"
4th Test: "If Day 5 wasn't washed-out we would have won"
You're forgetting the inevitable excuse for the 5th test "if we hadn't xxxxxxxx then we would have won"

If they'd have won at Old Trafford, you wouldn't have been able to get a ticket for love nor money. The experts reckon 2-2 going into this would have made it the biggest test match ever. I'm not sure I subscribe to that view. I really haven't got the sense of Ashes fever these past few weeks. Since home tests went behind the Sky paywall, it feels like cricket in England has been pushed to the fringes. I remember 2005 and it was definitely more in the public consciousness. This has been average quality compared to that one. In 05, you had a truly great team not quite at its best against an excellent team that was right at its peak.
All the talk of 2-2 would have been amazing for "cricket" no... It would have been great for England and the media hype machine, and the cult if bazball.....

Dead rubber, why wouldn’t we just set normal fields and play normal cricket and see what happens?

This constant garbage tactics has pretty much cruelled it for me. I rarely agree with Victorians but Darren Berry got it dead right. It was unwatchable.

Agree. To call him medium is laughable.
So is calling him the greatest bowler of all time. he was astounding, but not the greatest of all time. And he was a w@nker.

What's really bizarre in the build up has been the talk about "should we look at retaining as a construct?". Never in all my days has this ever been a thought, now "it discourages winning".

Do they really think the Aussies are saying "nevermind what happens today lads, we don't have a 22 year streak to break"

I don't recall any conversation in India when we were down 2-1 heading to the final test about the Border/Gavaskar trophy should be shared and the series considered a draw (mind you we were the better side and super unlucky to be down 2-1 😂😂😂).

Remove this Banner Ad

5th Ashes Test England v Australia July 27-31 1930hrs @ The Oval

Back