Player Watch #6: George Wardlaw - two-time RS nominee ('23 &'24) - The Warlord/ The Boss - out vs RFC w/ delayed concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hasn’t been at his best in terms of influencing the game with his disposals. A shame as he was hitting a small patch of form before going down with concussion at training.

The great thing with George is that, even when he is down, he can provide us with the pressure around the contest.

He’s coming along nicely and continues to play his role.

I think we’ll see a big game from him this week. Has been a bit down since his return & I reckon he’ll be keen to prove a point & stitch up the RS.
Geelong’s midfield is average. LDU, Sheez & George should take them down with relative ease.

I really thought Dempsey had kicked more goals than that.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Had a lot of good games and a lot of meh ones. He has also been playing up the ground and on the wing a lot more in recent weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One is being treated as the undisputed RS favourite, the other is not not.
View attachment 2057944

They play completely different roles.

I don't think we need to shit on one because of the other.

Dempsey's numbers are very good for the half forward role he plays.

Likewise, Wardlaw's score involvement and damage forward of center is very unique for his role. It's almost akin to Petracca's 3rd or 4th year profile.

As an example Caleb Serong and Matt Rowell are two of the worst decision makers and kicks inside 50 in the comp. Wardlaw is one of the best.

It looks slightly different if you frame it like this. These are the only players with Dempseys disposal, GA and goals per game numbers or higher.

1721861326569.png

It's like a Renaissance painting, e.g. the Last Supper...
Hang it in the Santa Maria delle Grazie.
Théodore Géricault – The Raft of Wardlaw 2024

If you look closely, in the foreground, you can see a dead Tom De Koning falling off the raft.
Screen Shot 2024-07-25 at 10.34.25 am.png

They play completely different roles.

I don't think we need to shit on one because of the other.

Dempsey's numbers are very good for the half forward role he plays.

Likewise, Wardlaw's score involvement and damage forward of center is very unique for his role. It's almost akin to Petracca's 3rd or 4th year profile.

As an example Caleb Serong and Matt Rowell are two of the worst decision makers and kicks inside 50 in the comp. Wardlaw is one of the best.

It looks slightly different if you frame it like this. These are the only players with Dempseys disposal, GA and goals per game numbers or higher.

View attachment 2057984
I am not shitting on anyone, bar a few media pundits and commentators, as they inform a lot of the average punter discussions. The stats are just for initial framing that both deserve to be talked about, then others can caveat, etc..

Wardlaw reminds me of Mickey McGuane kicking, a wide range from rubbish to really good. They've both got/had that frenetic get it forward as quickly as possible at times.
But, I only noticed it in the last two weeks. Up until now I think he has been far more good than bad. I'm hopeful he'll be better than old Mick.
I think you’ve pretty much nailed it. He does go from strawberry jam to pig shit in one fell swoop and it’s something he needs to iron out quickly. We’ve now got George kicking his worm burners along the ground because he can’t steady himself before kicking, LDU kicking those outside of the foot floaters and Jye…well just doing Jye shit.
That leaves Powell, who’s hot and not from one week to the next, Sheeze who’s only playing limited minutes in there and probably Phillips, who is possibly our best inside 50 kick, but can’t get his hands on it. Kerch will find his way in there eventually, but until he does, our mids need to start hitting some targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #6: George Wardlaw - two-time RS nominee ('23 &'24) - The Warlord/ The Boss - out vs RFC w/ delayed concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back