Player Watch #7: Liam Baker - Requested trade to West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

This could actually go either way. We could get totally reamed or West Coast could actually fold and give in.

I can now see them splitting pick 3 and using one of those picks for Baker.

They might ask GWS to trade picks 15,16 & 21 for pick 3. Trading Tom Barrass to Hawks will still happen but won't involve Baker afterwards.

Give us 15 or 16 and still draft 2 decent kids this year. Their supporters will go ape droppings because they don't want Baker and will want to keep pick 3 but i could see them being forced to trade down.

The only potential issue I see (which admittedly is unlikely) is that weagles tell Baker they wish to walk him into the PSD.

Putting my conspiracy theory hat on but this is where the comments from the Pres B+F night can be problematic. Again, I don’t think it’ll happen, but Baker might be more inclined to say ‘yep, stuff them I don’t care if they get nothing’.

I never over rated this bloke like so many do. He tried hard previously, was found wanting this year. He's a lousy mid. Dreadful forward. Pretty good backman, not spectacular. Short fella so limited in positions he can play. Those who suggested he could be captain (just like Graham) clearly have poor judgement. Any day Rumplestiltskin can weave a rookie pick 18 into a 100 game premiership player getting the best out of them before offloading them for a pick 10 - 13 is a phenomenal result.

I doubt he has much influence at WCE and by year 2 they're supporters will be cursing his salary especially when they see how good the player we drafted is travelling.
You never do miss many but most of that’s bang on , he’s a good little general down back in other posts he’s as game as without much impact and I once saw him on a poddy talking of footy trip exploits , my immediate reaction was that ain’t a skipper talkin, then his 45 sec drunken speech at jds underlined that 100 x over
Anyways good luck to bakes , just get the flipping transaction done mofos

The only potential issue I see (which admittedly is unlikely) is that weagles tell Baker they wish to walk him into the PSD.

Putting my conspiracy theory hat on but this is where the comments from the Pres B+F night can be problematic. Again, I don’t think it’ll happen, but Baker might be more inclined to say ‘yep, stuff them I don’t care if they get nothing’.
Won’t happen.
Clarke and Hartley have an agreement on what is fair.
If they walk him to PSD Harley just goes nuclear and targets the best young OOC contract eagle next year and walks him as well. Chesser or Bazzo will do.

Won’t come to that though. Both parties have more decency and respect for each other.

This could actually go either way. We could get totally reamed or West Coast could actually fold and give in.

They might ask GWS to trade picks 15,16 & 21 for pick 3. Trading Tom Barrass to Hawks will still happen but won't involve Baker afterwards.

Give us 15 or 16 and still draft 2 decent kids this year. Their supporters will go ape droppings because they don't want Baker and will want to keep pick 3 but i could see them being forced to trade down.

In my head the most viable option is for WCE to move 3 for 7 and 8 with the Saints. Might have to throw their second in as well.

Then split 8 with GWS for two of their picks; then trade one of those picks to Richmond for Baker.

You never do miss many but most of that’s bang on , he’s a good little general down back in other posts he’s as game as without much impact and I once saw him on a poddy talking of footy trip exploits , my immediate reaction was that ain’t a skipper talkin, then his 45 sec drunken speech at jds underlined that 100 x over
Anyways good luck to bakes , just get the flipping transaction done
Move him at all costs!
the whole 'perhaps we can keep him now' talk is embarrassing.
his days in the Y&B are done, no turning around now.

In my head the most viable option is for WCE to move 3 for 7 and 8 with the Saints. Might have to throw their second in as well.

Then split 8 with GWS for two of their picks; then trade one of those picks to Richmond for Baker.

I honestly believe they will be thinking about splitting pick 3 even more now, they were already doing that before Hawks dropped the bomb.

Their fans don't want Baker, never have, but the club does. We will now get to see what Clarke is really made of. The good thing is its happened on a Friday so they now have all weekend to go over what options they take.

Funny that Barras, Baker and Pick 14 seemed like it was going to be simple.

On BigFooty and in the media maybe. Just goes to show how little everyone actually knows

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast wouldn't split pick 3 for Baker. As much as I love him, he's not a split pick 3 calibre of player and I wouldn't want us to do that deal if we were West Coast.

If anything, they'd just keep pick 3, and walk away from Baker, or try and get him in the PSD if we don't accept their offer.

I can see them offering Pick 26 and their F2 now instead, and could see the eventual deal be something like

26 + F2 for Baker + our F3

So Baker and Bolton for 10,11,18?
I'd do that.
This is now our best play, previously Freo didn't want to give up 10 and 11, but adding Baker to the deal unlocks this option now.

I don't see us getting a better outcome than 10,11,18 for Bolton and Baker.

Means even before any Rioli trade we'd be hitting the draft with 1, 10, 11, 18, 20, 24

West Coast wouldn't split pick 3 for Baker. As much as I love him, he's not a split pick 3 calibre of player and I wouldn't want us to do that deal if we were West Coast.

If anything, they'd just keep pick 3, and walk away from Baker, or try and get him in the PSD if we don't accept their offer.

I can see them offering Pick 26 and their F2 now instead, and could see the eventual deal be something like

I thought this would be the deal from the outset, was pretty happy to see a mid teens pick raised, happy enough with 2 x early round 2 picks

We’re getting reamed then

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is now our best play, previously Freo didn't want to give up 10 and 11, but adding Baker to the deal unlocks this option now.

I don't see us getting a better outcome than 10,11,18 for Bolton and Baker.

Means even before any Rioli trade we'd be hitting the draft with 1, 10, 11, 18, 20, 24
And the word is GCS have offered pick 6'outright for Rioli.
Would make it 1,6,10,11,18,20,24.
That's a pretty good hand to go to the draft with.

We’re getting reamed then

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Maybe, but he's an out of contract small flanker turning 27 in Jan that wants to go home and the club he wants to go to has one of the best PSD picks. We don't have a lot of bargaining power here.

And the word is GCS have offered pick 6'outright for Rioli.
Would make it 1,6,10,11,18,20,24.
That's a pretty good hand to go to the draft with.
That's our best case scenario now, it's not a pretty good hand, it's an elite hand.

Outside of the expansion clubs, show me a better draft hand a team has had?

welcome to Richmond liam baker pick 1 2024 rookie draft

Then Richmond take him in the PSD

26 y.o. Bakes. what's he worth? Late 1st rounder. Can play fwd, middle & best down back. Pick 16 or 21 are daylight robbery. WCE's Pick 26 do me.

Keep him for a year make him unrestricted. We end up with JG level compo pick #42

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #7: Liam Baker - Requested trade to West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back