Player Watch #7: Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry man but some of these trade ideas just drive me insane.
I don't get this obsession with trading out some of our best players for meh draft picks.
I really don't get filling our list in one or 2 years with unknown draft picks that are probably less than a 50% chance of making it.
If we do this really smartly over 2-3 years we bring in some top end talent to compliment what we have, a few later speculative picks, maybe trade in and pick up a FA or two and we can be back in a decent position.
Trade out all of these players like Baker and Rioli for late first rounds, second rounds etc I'll tip we have better chance or staying down for a long period as we search through these late picks for some half decent players.
I'd prefer we didn't lose Baker, but if he wants out then he isn't fully committed to our future, so cash in and move on. The problem I see is too many are getting emotionally involved when thinking about trade scenarios and it clouds their judgement. They think it's just a case of WCE have pick 3, Baker is worth a R1 pick so give us pick 3 or bugger off.

Hartley takes emotion out of it and will get us a deal that is going to best help the club move forward. As I said yesterday getting 2 picks in the early 20s for Baker if he heads to WCE is a fair deal for both clubs.

Firstly show a bit of respect when replying.

Secondly, Baker is worth a pick in the mid-late first round, if he chooses WCE, they don't have a pick in that range and they are not going to trade pick 3 for him alone. Their next available pick is 23 currently, if we were to get that and the same value pick in the 2025 draft, it actually values Baker as worth more than a mid-late round 1 pick alone.

Richmond are likely to go to WCE and say we want a R1 pick for Baker.

WCE say we're not trading pick 3 for Baker, but we're willing to offer up our R2 pick.

Richmond says make it your 2024 & 2025 R2 picks and it's a deal.

Those extra round 2 picks become valuable to us as it gives us 4 picks inside the first 2 rounds this year and 3 picks inside the first 2 rounds next year by losing 1 player and some smart trading last year in the draft.

For a rebuilding side, having 7 picks inside the first 2 rounds of the draft across a 2 year window is a fair kick start and that's before we even start trading the swag of picks we've got later in this years draft.
2nd round picks are really 3rd round picks these days. All 25+

No way we take them for Baker. Its got to be a top 15 pick or they can heck off

If we get two second round picks for Baker our recruiting team should be Marched out the door.

Up to WCE to satisfy us. I would be saying, Lachie Schulz is the barometer. So either a first or second this year and a first or second next year…. Then walk out the room.

Baker is so much better than Lachie Schulz. We can’t keep handing our players away for **** all. It’s cost us in the past.

Im thinking the eagles will be looking to split their pick #2 with Gold Coast for their 2x 1st rounders #8 + #9
They will send 1 of these picks to Richmond for Baker + #2nd rounder if Baker selects the eagles

We really should be doing all we can to get Rioli to GC for these 2 picks with later picks going to the suns even if we have to pay half his salary. I would be fine with taking the 2 x 2nd rounders from the eagles for Baker

I often ponder that G Ablett Jr leaves Geelong they win a flag, Buddy bails the Hawks win, we lose Rance & all looks lost we win the next 2. No one is irreplaceable (except Dusty in his prime) so I feel if any punter wants to go, thanks & best wishes but the price must be right. Like George Constanza I think we have hand here to get maximum return and set the re- build/calibration/gig, etc in motion

If we get two second round picks for Baker our recruiting team should be Marched out the door.

Up to WCE to satisfy us. I would be saying, Lachie Schulz is the barometer. So either a first or second this year and a first or second next year…. Then walk out the room.

Baker is so much better than Lachie Schulz. We can’t keep handing our players away for **** all. It’s cost us in the past.
Nice to read some posts that talk sense.
The players we used to let go for peanuts were fringe or surplus players, asking for big buck increases when our payments were maxed.
Baker is easily one of our best players, will improve most teams, (especially WC) and a leader.
We can afford to give him a decent pay increase (no not over pay) but if he wants to go it has to be for a great deal. We should be looking for a top 10 to 15 pick at minimum.
We have a far better chance of getting a very good player with that one pick rather than a couple of late 20 or early 30 picks which could both end up being no better than half the young kids we already have.

Schulz was contracted when he asked to be traded, Baker isn't, that's the big difference here.

Schulz was contracted when he asked to be traded, Baker isn't, that's the big difference here.

If we get rid of Baker for two second round picks we should shut up shop. Liam Baker in infinitely better player than Schulz. I was saying it should be the same deal because of him being out of contract.

Im thinking the eagles will be looking to split their pick #2 with Gold Coast for their 2x 1st rounders #8 + #9
They will send 1 of these picks to Richmond for Baker + #2nd rounder if Baker selects the eagles

We really should be doing all we can to get Rioli to GC for these 2 picks with later picks going to the suns even if we have to pay half his salary. I would be fine with taking the 2 x 2nd rounders from the eagles for Baker

GC have Leo Lombardo to get they aren't gonna want anything to do with pick 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we get rid of Baker for two second round picks we should shut up shop. Liam Baker in infinitely better player than Schulz. I was saying it should be the same deal because of him being out of contract.
IMO we're not getting a R1 & 2 for Baker as an uncontracted player. It'll either be a R1 pick from Fremantle or a combination of picks from WCE if he leaves. Ideally he picks Fremantle and we get their best R1 pick for him. WCE is less ideal unless they trade back from pick 3 for the 2 Suns R1 picks and flip one of them to us.

IMO we're not getting a R1 & 2 for Baker as an uncontracted player. It'll either be a R1 pick from Fremantle or a combination of picks from WCE if he leaves. Ideally he picks Fremantle and we get their best R1 pick for him. WCE is less ideal unless they trade back from pick 3 for the 2 Suns R1 picks and flip one of them to us.
I reckon wc might trade out barras that’ll get them a couple of good pics

With pick #2 they get ahead of the bid for Lombard

Not if we bid on him. I would bid on him and Ashcroft as both will match. (Smillie and FOS haven't proven either are worthy of pick 1 and Jagga Smith sounds like a stumpy accumulator hardly pick 1 worthy. So no one could say the bids are purely tactical and spiteful.) Same as North should've for Daicos. Besides my gut feeling says Dan Rioli is goneski so picks will be ours.

He was contracted so freo held the aces , I think bakers credentials stack up well against saad he went for like pic 6 and was uncontracted too

Not if we bid on him. I would bid on him and Ashcroft as both will match. (Smillie and FOS haven't proven either are worthy of pick 1 and Jagga Smith sounds like a stumpy accumulator hardly pick 1 worthy. So no one could say the bids are purely tactical and spiteful.) Same as North should've for Daicos. Besides my gut feeling says Dan Rioli is goneski so picks will be ours.
Ashcroft you’d bid , not Lombard they might call our bluff and say keep him and we have a 10 stone winger with our no1 pic, marvelous just marvelous , it would be a cluster fk of epic proportions

Player Watch #7: Liam Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back